biking with a stress fracture??

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by valerie, Sep 19, 2004.

  1. valerie

    valerie Guest

    A friend of mine's DR. told him that biking is a good form of exercise
    during the period of a healing stress fracture in his foot. Does
    anyone have anything to say about this, for or against?

    Tags:

  2. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    valerie wrote:
    > A friend of mine's DR. told him that biking is a good form of exercise
    > during the period of a healing stress fracture in his foot. Does
    > anyone have anything to say about this, for or against?

    Should be fine, as long as he uses a very stiff sole, doesn't stand and mash
    much, and lets pain (or lack thereof) be his guide.

    Bill "Doctor BS" S.

  3. Brian Logan

    Brian Logan Guest

    [email protected] (valerie) wrote:

    >A friend of mine's DR. told him that biking is a good form of exercise
    >during the period of a healing stress fracture in his foot. Does
    >anyone have anything to say about this, for or against?

    My doctor has okayed me cycling with a broken foot. He initially
    thought it was a stress fracture but looking at the x-ray taken five
    weeks after the accident said it was more than a stress fracture.

    It's my third metatarsal that broke, and the gentle motion of walking
    and biking is supposed to be good for it. It just hurts when I walk
    properly and pronate my foot. (I naturally overpronate anyway.)

    b.
    --
    We are not the victims of circumstances
    but the architects of our destiny

  4. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    "Brian Logan" wrote: (clip) It's my third metatarsal that broke (clip)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Maybe you should ask your doctor why you are breaking so many metatarsals
    <G>.

  5. Brian Logan

    Brian Logan Guest

    "Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Brian Logan" wrote: (clip) It's my third metatarsal that broke (clip)
    >^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >Maybe you should ask your doctor why you are breaking so many metatarsals
    ><G>.

    <Grin> Nah, it's pretty obvious when I break my bones. Sudden
    stopping. This time by van.

    b.
    --
    We are not the victims of circumstances
    but the architects of our destiny

  6. I had a stress fracture of a finger... and it wouldn't heal .. so i
    got a cast that was moulded to fit the handlebars... and it took about
    6 weeks to heal. Stress fractures are very different from cracks or
    complete fractures... the bone is actually breaking down in the area
    of the stress fracture and will continue to do so without rest or some
    kind of protection ( like a cast).

    charlie