Biking With Fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by niightwind, Jun 30, 2015.

1. niightwind

niightwind Member

Usually when I start threads/topics on forums, it is to start a discussion or ask a question. But today I wanted to share an experience, instead.

I'm 19 years old. At my age, I know I should be in a lot better shape than I am, and I've tried very hard to get in better shape. Over time though, from when I was 12 years old up until now, I've noticed an increase in the amount of pain I feel when exercising, and even during daily life in general. People told me it was because I'm fat and weak, and that if I just pushed through it as hard as I can I'd toughen up eventually. It made me feel terrible, because I simple couldn't push through without agonizing pain.

A few years ago, I started having symptoms of an auto immune disorder (where, basically, my body cannot tell the difference between health tissue and sickness, and so attacks it both). That was when the pain really shot up, and it got so bad that at one point I was in a wheel chair. It wasn't until a few months ago that I was finally diagnosed as having fibromyalgia. For anyone unfamiliar with what fibromyalgia is, it is basically a disorder that is characterized by widespread pain and fatigue. I was actually happy at first when I got the diagnosis, because it meant I could finally go on the right medication that I need for handling pain.

However, things weren't that easy. I reacted badly to the medications I tried, and most of the ones offered to me were out of the picture anyway because they would clash with the medication I take for my mental health problems (bipolar disorder). It was a long while before I found a medication that helped with relieving pain, and even then it only made it bearable but not easy. I'm at a point at the moment where I have a certainty that I will remain in pain for the majority of my life.

Now, naturally because of this pain, I have a very hard time with exercising. That topped with the weight gain I've gone through in the last two years brought forth from side effects of medication and in general not being able to move has brought me into the obese range. I often feel very discouraged, and sometimes hate myself for it. I'm mocked for my appearance and lack of ability to fix it very often. I've wanted to give up numerous times.

But despite all of that, I kept looking for a way to stay healthy and exercise despite it all. Walking is alright, but still brings pain. Jogging I cannot do at all currently. Dancing is something I love to do, but can't manage at this moment either.

That's why I turned to cycling.

Cycling is one of the few things I am able to do now without immense pain. Is it still painful? Yes, often very painful. But it is bearable, and is something I have come to enjoy doing and am able to push through in the harder times. Riding my bike has become one of the few things I can still do that make me feel like I'm capable of something, and able to accomplish some sort of goal.

This experience might not mean much to any of you, because I'm sure a lot of you have pushed through times and circumstances far more difficult than this. But I wanted to share it nonetheless. I guess what it all boils down to is that really, cycling has saved my life.

Tags:

2. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Member

Ah, I know your pain. My girlfriend was diagnosed with something really really close to Fibromyalgia, it is really painful for her to do a lot of activity and it's quite difficult due to bones pains and all. It's really inspiring to see someone actually cycling within that condition.

3. Bonzer

Bonzer New Member

Firstly, I feel sorry for your situation. Yes, Fibromyalgia is an excruciatingly painful condition. You need to sleep enough and keep yourself off stress completely, along with your medication.

Cycling could be daunting. You may walk slowly, stretch or do water aerobics. These are safe exercises. If you are too fond of cycling, you may consult your doctor once before taking to the sport. Exercise is important though for your condition and provides good relief. Keep off tomatoes, Aspartame, Monosodium Glutamate(MSG), and caffeine. Good Luck!

4. niightwind

niightwind Member

Bonzer, yes - sleep and keeping out of stress is very important with fibromyalgia, for sure. I was very wary about cycling at first, because I'm still at a point where walking is painful. I spoke indepth about it with my doctor before I started. I think part of it may be that I am supported on the bike, but the pain from exercising this way is actually a lot less painful then lighter exercises that require I be on my feet throughout.
    Thank you for the tips of what to stay off of - I hadn't heard those suggestions before! I'm not a caffeine drinker and I have never been fond of tomatoes (make me feel sick) so I think I should be good in that area. :)

Thanks both of you for your support!

5. JSWin

JSWin Member

Fibromyalgia is what you have. Well it is good the biking has helped you. I'm just going to say what I have heard a million times about things like this. Take a look at how you eat. Processed foods can cause pain in the body. Cut out any and all processed foods, boxed food etc. Eat real food. You will be surprised.
    19 years old is too young to be in pain. Just eat better and you will see a difference. Keep exercising and biking movement is important.

6. niightwind

niightwind Member

Oh believe me, I've made huge changes in how I've been eating. Unfortunately, it isn't helping. My doctors have told me that pain is something I will just have to get used to and live with. He has been helping me to find a medication that will help to keep pain at a tolerable level, because "tolerable" is about as good as it'll get, sadly. The problem isn't in how I eat, its in how my body perceives pain. What is a normal touch to a 'normal' person, my body interprets as being painful. Its been theorized that what causes it is a high amount of the chemical "Substance P" in my body, which amplifies pain signals.

I'm doing my best to keep up with the biking and moving. :) Some days it is very hard, but I do my best.