biking with pooch?

less'go

Sep 11, 2003
Hello all,

I'm new to biking and to this forum, was wondering if anyone is in the habit of biking with their dog? Is that just a bad idea, or is it do-able? My pooch is out of shape (kind of like me) so obviously we'd have to start out slow, and I'd need to keep her on a leash.

Any thoughts would be apreciated!

Sara

HaHa that reminds me of a funny story. I have a Weimaraner who is always high strung. When he was just over a year old, (2 years ago) I decided it would be good for him to run with me as a rode. Since he was so high in energy he kept pulling the leash at right angles of the direction I was riding. I was clipped in and he wiped me out 2 times in less than a block. Thank god I was on grass for this experiment. That was the last time I tried that with him. He is much better behaved now, but I still wont try it.

I have seen people do it successfully and if you start doing it, start slow, maybe try the non clip in pedal adapters when you first start out so she doesn't pull you over and you can get out in time. You never know when a rabbit or something will run out from a bush and make the pooch go wild or she suddenly stops on you to do her 'business' when you don't expect it.

Good luck

Also keep in mind that most dogs are designed for short sprints not long sustained runs at 15mph or more. So keep it slow or keep the distance down (no 10 mile rides).

Like jitteringjr said watch you speed and distance. You can cover a lot of distance on a bike in not a lot of time. Next thing that you know it will be National Lampoons Vacation all over again, nothing but a collar left. I would reserve rides of over a couple miles to be lonley, without the pooch.

Originally posted by jitteringjr
he kept pulling the leash at right angles of the direction I was riding. I was clipped in and he wiped me out 2 times in less than a block.

That's what I'm afraid of, although my old black lab is no spring chicken anymore... but she certainly weighs enough to take me down! I like the idea of trying it on the grass (in a park, maybe).

"most dogs are designed for short sprints not long sustained runs at 15mph or more. So keep it slow or keep the distance down (no 10 mile rides)."

I'm sure I'll wear out long before she does! I've only been biking about a week, but I think I'm hooked.

Virginia eh? I used to go see friends in Richmond a lot in the good old days. Virginia must have lots of beautiful places to ride.

Thanks!
Sara:)

Originally posted by jitteringjr
he kept pulling the leash at right angles of the direction I was riding. I was clipped in and he wiped me out 2 times in less than a block.

That's what I'm afraid of, although my old black lab is no spring chicken anymore... but she certainly weighs enough to take me down! I like the idea of trying it on the grass (in a park, maybe).

"most dogs are designed for short sprints not long sustained runs at 15mph or more. So keep it slow or keep the distance down (no 10 mile rides)."

I'm sure I'll wear out long before she does! I've only been biking about a week, but I think I'm hooked.

Virginia eh? I used to go see friends in Richmond a lot in the good old days. Virginia must have lots of beautiful places to ride.

Thanks!
Sara:)

Richmond is not bad for riding if you stay off the high traffic areas.

Virginia has many awesome places to ride, but most are to far away for anything but weekend rides. :(