Bikini wax?

SusiQ

Mar 28, 2004
Hi there,

Does anyone have any experience with bikini waxing and prevention of saddle sores and chafing? I want to know if it's going to work at all before I put myself through it!

Thanks

Originally posted by SusiQ
Hi there,

Does anyone have any experience with bikini waxing and prevention of saddle sores and chafing? I want to know if it's going to work at all before I put myself through it!

Thanks

Hi SusiQ

As a licensed Esthetician I do alot of bikni waxing. Most of my client have no problem with it. It is important to go to a experienced Esthetician to reduce skin rash. I always prep the skin with baby powder and make sure the wax is not to hot.
One question are you shaving the area now if so it may be your problem. The purpose of gential har is to reduce friction by removing it may cause saddle sores and chafing. Waxing may help for the short term until the hair reapears. The Avg. hair takes 4 to 6 weeks hits the surface. At this point you may have some ingrown problems.
I would recommend to use a baby power in your riding shorts and not to wear panties under your cycling shorts. One other point have you been professional fit on your bike if not do so.
I hope this will help I just don't think waxiong alone will slove your problem.

Azulene

Originally posted by SusiQ
Hi there,

Thanks

I highly recommend it - it made a huge difference for me riding. You still have to be careful about the little bumps when the hair starts to grow back, if it is anywhere near the edge of the chamois it can get irritated. However, a little loofah, or some other exfoliant, used regularly takes care of that. The only negative is you have to wait a little while before waxing again, so you will have to plan carefully if you are going to actually wear a bikini at some point. After a little while the hair doesn't grow back as thickly. I've been waxing my legs for about 10 years now, and there is hardly anymore hair to wax. Good luck!

Ok,
I'm just a teenager, so the whole bikini wax thing is a little weird to me. However, I love to ride, but I'm having problems with saddle sores and chaffing, so I'm thinking I will try bikini wax and see what happens, (hopefully it will help.) My questions is: can I do it myself? Or do I have go somewhere?
I kinda what to be brave and do it my self but I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks

Originally posted by Utah roadie
Ok,
I'm just a teenager, so the whole bikini wax thing is a little weird to me. However, I love to ride, but I'm having problems with saddle sores and chaffing, so I'm thinking I will try bikini wax and see what happens, (hopefully it will help.) My questions is: can I do it myself? Or do I have go somewhere?
I kinda what to be brave and do it my self but I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks

Uhhhh....NO...some things are meant for a professional and I'm thinking bikini waxing is one of them. I'm sure there are people that are all DIY but there are people who do their own tattoos as well. But OWWWW...I mean OWWWWW.

I find it makes a big difference overal because the area is cleaner and drier...I'm a diabetic so I have a few issues with boils etc in the nether regions so I think waxing is a big help. Shaving is asking for problems, in my opinion...do you know how much that itches? Whoa...no thanks.

Not to get too graphic, but when you say "bikini wax" what do you guys mean? Just a traditional wax around the panty line, Brazillian wax, or the whole thing?

I fail to understand how a bikini wax can prevent saddle sores and chafing. If anything, I think the hair would help as it prevents your shorts from rubbing directly on your skin.

And for the love of god, do not try a Do It Yourself Wax at home! Waxing, like brain surgery and other serious procedures, should be left to the professionals. Seriously, it will be a lot less painful and its not that expensive.

Originally posted by Saucy

I fail to understand how a bikini wax can prevent saddle sores and chafing. If anything, I think the hair would help as it prevents your shorts from rubbing directly on your skin.

WEll, not to be too graphic or crude about the matter but it seems to me that everything cools down and dries off a lot better without the fur coat.

Okay, that's probably way too much information for these boards...sorry in advance if anyone finds it a little over the top...

Have you tried one of those small beard trimmers on its lowest setting (not to be funny) It doesn't cut the hair the same way a razor does, but you would need to do it more often than waxing. I can't razor or wax...major hair bumps...and the hair doesn't seem to chafe like the way it would when its growing back from razor or wax.

Bikini, brazilian - that's more of a personal preference that may be based on prior problems. I have had problems with little cuts from the hair so often opt for a more more, ah, extensive undertaking. My theory of why it works is that eventually you just kill the hair follicle, so that it is less likely to harbor dirt & bacteria, therefore less likely to turn into a boil or sore. For those follicles that are still producing I think Kate hit the nail on the head - if there is no hair it will inevitably keep it cleaner and drier.

I wax my own legs, but always have a professional do the bikini & underarm wax (I'm a cyclist, not a contortionist).

As a Licensed Esthetician/Electrolysis and avid cyclist. I disagree with your statment that by repeating waxing the area will eventually kill the hair follicle. Repeating plucking a hair (Waxing) will distort the hair follicle causing more blood and hormones to flow to the follicle causing the hair to become stronger. Electrolysis is the only method that will kill the follicle. Bikini and underarm hair reduce friction in the area. By waxing the area you may increase the friction causing skin problems. Don't get me wrong I make a living removing hair. If your going to be wearing a bathing suit by all means do it. But go to a professional esthetician or electrolysis and have the procedure done right.

Good riding
AZulene

Originally posted by Azulene
As a Licensed Esthetician/Electrolysis and avid cyclist. I disagree with your statment that by repeating waxing the area will eventually kill the hair follicle. Repeating plucking a hair (Waxing) will distort the hair follicle causing more blood and hormones to flow to the follicle causing the hair to become stronger. Electrolysis is the only method that will kill the follicle. Bikini and underarm hair reduce friction in the area. By waxing the area you may increase the friction causing skin problems. Don't get me wrong I make a living removing hair. If your going to be wearing a bathing suit by all means do it. But go to a professional esthetician or electrolysis and have the procedure done right.

Good riding
AZulene

Question for you Azulene, if you don't mind me picking your professional knowledge base but you're probably the most qualified to answer....why does waxing make hair *appear* less pronouced when it grows back where as shaving makes it seem more pronounced? Or is this just my overactive imagination at work?

Only a theory - I can only base my opinions on personal experience and the information that my own esthetician has given me. I have been waxing my legs for over 10 years now - I don't even bother in the winter anymore there is so little hair growing now - once each spring, summer and fall now. I stopped waxing my bikini area for a few years because I was broke and busy with two young children, I shaved when the occasion warranted it. The hair grew back perhaps half as fully as before.

Once I started cycling again I had very persistant problems with saddle sores and minute skin tears. My doctor suggested finding another hobby - I found another doctor instead. Together we tried many different avenues, and I spent a lot of money on different chamois creams, vaseline, my kid's A & D ointment (not bad - but smelly:eek: ), conditioners, Desitin, estrogen cream, inserts, etc. I tried many pairs of bike shorts in the search for the perfect chamois. I own too many saddles now.

One of the Nurse Practitioners at my doc's office cycled and suggested a "clean sweep", so I asked rude questions of my son's friend's mothers, and found a couple of local estheticians that were highly recommended. After speaking with both about their methods and the waxes that they use, I went for it. I was worried about the time between waxings, but my esthetician recommended a product (also smelly - can't remember the name - NewSkin or something similar - but it is in a blue bottle and costs alot) that reduces the bumps (I also lightly loofah in the shower). The hair that grows back is so soft now, and so sparse, that it doesn't make any impact.

I have not had one saddle sore, one ingrown hair, one ugly boil for almost two years now. Combined with the estrogen cream I have eradicated the tiny skin tears that were happening. I can now ride multiple times every week, instead of having to take time off from the bike (and my husband) to heal. For me waxing has been a huge boon.

I REALLY put a lot of effort into finding a solution to my personal "saddle" problem. I am not saying that this is the right solution for everyone - but it is an option that I would encourage others to try if all else fails.

I use Vaseline Petroleum Jelly to prevent saddle sores and it really works. Apply liberal amounts - the more the better it works.

Waxing is a great idea and it is really not that painful at all once you get used to it, it is quick and easy and once it is done it is done It will help wit rubbing, chaffing and general hygiene. But always exfoliate after waxing as it will help to prevent ingorwn hairs which can be nasty and incredibly painful.

I believe you, that it doesn't hurt so bad once you get used to it. But that sounds like one of the most excrutiating things you could do to your body. My I'm just a chicken****, but I wouldn't let anybody pay me to get it done, much less me pay someone else. It's a bigger hassle, takes longer, and have to do it more often, but shaving has always works for me. No issues at all.

Perhaps, the whole issue might come down to wearing different clothing while you are riding your bike. As you are suffering from chafing and irritation, you might want to look into some soft, cotton underwear that let's your skin breathe. On top of that wear some comfortable bike riding clothes that don't make you swear excessively. If you finally opt for a bikini wax, be sensible and wait a day or two, before you go on a long bike ride.

No way I would never recommened you doing it yourself. I once heard of a woman doing it herself and she ended up having to get stitches down there. Let a professional do it.

Yes, I say do it. I love have things in order everywhere especially... I definitely go to a professional. Don't try to wax yourself it's worth the money to have someone else do it. You will get irritated but make sure after you clean you moisturize properly to prevent the saddle chafing and sores. I like to use Aloe Vera gel at night and Vaseline right before I ride. It works wonders!
they are that dedicated though.

Eileen100

What are the benefits of waxing versus shaving the bikini region? I've always shaved the bottom region and always moisturized with coconut oil or almond oil to prevent chaffing. But the comments on this thread are making me consider a bikini wax. Awkward question: does the esthetician wax the clients vajayjay (lol!) as well? The thought of that makes me feel pretty weird haha

Never, and I repeat never, do a bikini wax by yourself if you're inexperienced. I did it that once and it hurt like hell. I could not sit properly for a few days let alone cycle.

If you just go to a nice parlor, they'll do it for you nicely. It'll hurt but not as much as it hurts when you do it by yourself.

Shaving causes more friction as the stubble grows and you're cycling, so I don't recommend it.