Binding cables

Ianb

Guest
My Wife has just replaced the Brake Blocks on her Ladies frame bike and she had a problem with the
clearance to the wheel and asked me to help. However I immediately realised that the rear cable was
not running smoothly. Unfortunately she needs to use it soon so do not have the time to strip the
cable off & lubricate it thoroughly. However she has had this problem of grating rear brake cables
on all her bikes and I think it is something to do with the adjuster at the brake callipers being
"upside down" (this is a side pull brake) compared to a Gents frame or front brake. i.e. the hole
where the cable emerges at the brake is pointing upwards so any rain, dirt or bike washing water is
free to enter. Does anyone have a good method of plugging this hole? I have tried plugging it with
grease in the past but it does not seem to last long.
--
IanB

swap my names around to reply to me

"IanB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone have a good method of plugging this hole? I have tried plugging it with grease in the
> past but
it
> does not seem to last long.

Just a though, not tried it, but a washer or piece of plastic or even a bead threaded ove the cable,
and retaines with a (soft) compression spring also threaded over the cable would probably work...

(view in fixed width font)
e.g
----
----
Maybe a spring out of an old biro would do it?

HTH

Tim (voted worst ascii artist86-03)
--
Sent from Brum, UK... ...scheduled completion Sept 2003 'What's keeping the White House white? Is it
chalk, is it fog, is it fear?' Steve Skaith, 'America For Beginners' Look, mum, an anorak on a bike!