biopace with narrow chain -- any problem?

geos

Guest
hello,

is there any problem when using aluminium shimano biopace chainrings
with narrow chains for 9/10 speed? generally, do these older chainrings,
that work perfectly with 7/8 speed chains, make trouble with narrow
chains?

thanks,
geos

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 09:04:33 +0100, geos <[email protected]>
wrote:

>hello,
>
>is there any problem when using aluminium shimano biopace chainrings
>with narrow chains for 9/10 speed? generally, do these older chainrings,
> that work perfectly with 7/8 speed chains, make trouble with narrow
>chains?

It occurs to me that you're probably not going to find many (any?)
people who have actually tried this. I just went down to the garage
and mic'ed the base of the teeth on my Dura Ace 9-speed equipped bike,
and the same on an old biopace ring. Same dimension; then I remembered
when I converted the Dura Ace equipped bike from 8-speed to 9-speed I
didn't change the rings.

Since I'm successfully using a "9-speed" chain with "8-speed" rings
I'd guess you would have pretty much the same results with your
biopace rings. Suck and see!

geos wrote:
> hello,
>
> is there any problem when using aluminium shimano biopace chainrings
> with narrow chains for 9/10 speed? generally, do these older chainrings,
> that work perfectly with 7/8 speed chains, make trouble with narrow
> chains?

I bought a set of Biopace chainrings (52-42) at the local used bike
shop for $1, just to try them out. I used a 9-speed chain with no
problems.

BTW, I really didn't feel any difference with the Biopace rings. I
used a 13-23 cassette to force me to mash up the San Diego hills. That
was supposed to be the strength of Biopace. I kept that setup on my
commuter bike for a year and wasn't impressed. OTOH, they are still
perfectly good chainrings.

Just my experience,
Tom

I just built a bike using a NOS biopace crank and a modern chain, and
I've had no problems with it - shifts fine, and no dropped chains.

Wait a sec. I did have two occasions when the crank 'locked up' during
a front shift- felt like chainsuck. I backpedaled about 1/8 of a rev,
and then pedaled fwd, which completed the shift OK. I don't know for
sure what caused that - maybe it IS incompatible.

Erik Brooks

"[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> geos wrote:
> > hello,
> >
> > is there any problem when using aluminium shimano biopace chainrings
> > with narrow chains for 9/10 speed? generally, do these older chainrings,
> > that work perfectly with 7/8 speed chains, make trouble with narrow
> > chains?
> >

> I bought a set of Biopace chainrings (52-42) at the local used bike
> shop for $1, just to try them out. I used a 9-speed chain with no
> problems.

Quite a good deal considering what the few on eBay have fetched ($10-$15).
I recently took an old Biopace crankset off a bike that got vandalised, but
I like the aesthetics of the Sakae set I was going to replace, so haven't
yet. This will only be a 7 speedc setup, so I don't anticipate any problems
there.

Thank you all who replied, I really appreciate this!

cheers,
geos

geos wrote:
> hello,
>
> is there any problem when using aluminium shimano biopace chainrings
> with narrow chains for 9/10 speed? generally, do these older chainrings,
> that work perfectly with 7/8 speed chains, make trouble with narrow
> chains?

I have been using 9s Shimano chains with Biopace rings and a 9s
cassettes for several years without any problem.

Sam