Bird's Birthday Bianchi - Ultegra v Veloce?

BomoSammo

Apr 26, 2005
It's my girlfriend's birthday soon and she's been hinting that she'd dearly like a nice bike instead of having to crank around on my winter hack when we go for a ride out together.
We've narrowed our search down to Bianchi Mega Pro SL3 '04 - which Evans are knocking out for just under £1,000 - but the question is . . . do I buy the Ultegra double or the Veloce triple equipped version?
All my other bikes are Shimano equipped and therefore I know the system and my toolkit is pretty well stocked for every eventuality.
Having said that, I think that she'd find a triple really useful.
Also, on an aesthetic point, having anything other than Campagnolo on a Bianchi, just seems wrong (stupid, I know, but it's just how I feel).
Anyone own a Veloce equipped SL3?
Any problems so far?
Are the tools to fettle really as expensive as rumour has it?
Cheers,

Sammo

BomoSammo said:
With the exception of the bb wrench and cassette lockring tool, all of your Shimano specific tools will work on the Veloce group. The tools are expensive if you buy them from Campy, but the Park equivalents work just as well. While there are some differences to working on the components, they aren't so drastic that you'll have any trouble.

BomoSammo said:
It's my girlfriend's birthday soon and she's been hinting that she'd dearly like a nice bike instead of having to crank around on my winter hack when we go for a ride out together.
We've narrowed our search down to Bianchi Mega Pro SL3 '04 - which Evans are knocking out for just under £1,000 - but the question is . . . do I buy the Ultegra double or the Veloce triple equipped version?
All my other bikes are Shimano equipped and therefore I know the system and my toolkit is pretty well stocked for every eventuality.
Also, on an aesthetic point, having anything other than Campagnolo on a Bianchi, just seems wrong (stupid, I know, but it's just how I feel).
Any problems so far?
Cheers,

Sammo
Hey, it's not stupid to want Italian parts on an "Italian" bike. Yeah, the frame may be made in Asia now but the Bianchi name is still 100% Italian. As far as the SL3, I don't own one. I ride a Quattro Assi equipped with a Veloce 9 speed group, except for the crank, which is FSA Carbon Pro Team crank. So far, I have had no problems whatsoever with the group, although Campy's shifting system does take a bit of getting used to.

Regards,

RL

Campy belongs on a Bianchi. ;) Hey - where'd Georgie go?!?!? Did Elvis leave the building?

BomoSammo said:
Any problems so far?
Cheers,

Sammo
I have a lower end bike (Bianchi Eros with Campagnolo Mirage Triple), but I still find the components to be solid and of better quality than I expected for the price range. I don't know what you heard about the tools being expensive (maybe the ones actually MADE by Campagnolo), but the one or two specialty tools that you might need are all made by Park Tool, just the same as the tools you use on your Shimano bikes. The prices are pretty much the same.

I'd go for the triple Veloce, but I might be a bit biased.

I ride a Basso not a Bianchi, and a double rather than a triple. However I've had nothing but pleasant experiences on my Veloce group. Two plusses are that the components are all alloy and steel- no plastic, and not everybody has it. Of course the downside is- not everybody has it. If I were getting my wife a bike I'd go Campy because she likes to be different. But many people like to follow trends and fashions- for those I'd say go Shimano.