Birds chirping in my left ear

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Jim Dumas, Feb 23, 2004.

  1. Jim Dumas

    Jim Dumas Guest

    I just noticed this today. My left ear has always been a problem with "static-electric-like" noise.
    But today I keep hearing a chirping/sqeaking noise only in my left ear. If I put an ear plug in that
    ear, I still hear the chirping in that ear. I don't think this is DM neuropathy related. But
    wondering if anybody else has experienced this.

    I keep looking out the windows for baby birds in nests. Most annoying,
    --
    Jim Dumas T1 4/86, background retinopathy, rarely hypoglycemic: <1/mo. lispro+R+U+NPH daily,
    moderate exercise, typically <6% HbA1c

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    Jim Dumas <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote:

    > I just noticed this today. My left ear has always been a problem with "static-electric-like"
    > noise. But today I keep hearing a chirping/sqeaking noise only in my left ear. If I put an ear
    > plug in that ear, I still hear the chirping in that ear. I don't think this is DM neuropathy
    > related. But wondering if anybody else has experienced this.
    >
    > I keep looking out the windows for baby birds in nests. Most annoying,

    Is there any correlation with moving your jaw or swallowing?

    When I have a bad cold my ear squeeks whenever I swallow.

    Priscilla

  3. Patch

    Patch Guest

    "Jim Dumas" <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I just noticed this today. My left ear has always been a problem with "static-electric-like"
    > noise. But today I keep hearing a
    chirping/sqeaking
    > noise only in my left ear. If I put an ear plug in that ear, I still hear the chirping in that
    > ear. I don't think this is DM neuropathy related. But wondering if anybody else has
    > experienced this.
    >
    > I keep looking out the windows for baby birds in nests. Most annoying,
    > --
    > Jim Dumas T1 4/86, background retinopathy, rarely hypoglycemic: <1/mo. lispro+R+U+NPH daily,
    > moderate exercise, typically <6% HbA1c

    Sounds like tintinitus. I have it in both ears.

  4. Jim Dumas <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I just noticed this today. My left ear has always been a problem with "static-electric-like"
    > noise. But today I keep hearing a chirping/sqeaking noise only in my left ear. If I put an ear
    > plug in that ear, I still hear the chirping in that ear. I don't think this is DM neuropathy
    > related. But wondering if anybody else has experienced this.
    >
    > I keep looking out the windows for baby birds in nests. Most annoying,

    I have pointed out many, many times how foolish it is to look to us for a diagnosis. Just to prove
    no one is consistent, it sounds like tinnitus to me (if you will excuse the pun). From one of the
    many web sites:

    Many sufferers in the online community report that their tinnitus sounds like the high-pitched
    background squeal emitted by some computer monitors or television sets. Others report noises like
    hissing steam, rushing water, chirping crickets, bells, breaking glass, or even chainsaws. Some
    report that their tinnitus temporarily spikes in volume with sudden head motions during aerobic
    exercise, or with each footfall while jogging.

    --
    -------
    Charly Coughran [email protected]

  5. I'm not a doctor, but I've had AN surgery...read up on acoustic neuroma and see if you have any
    of the symptoms. The surgery left me deaf in one ear, but it beats letting that sucker grow in
    one's head!

    dave

    Jim Dumas wrote:
    > I just noticed this today. My left ear has always been a problem with "static-electric-like"
    > noise. But today I keep hearing a chirping/sqeaking noise only in my left ear. If I put an ear
    > plug in that ear, I still hear the chirping in that ear. I don't think this is DM neuropathy
    > related. But wondering if anybody else has experienced this.
    >
    > I keep looking out the windows for baby birds in nests. Most annoying,

  6. Jim Dumas

    Jim Dumas Guest

    Priscilla Ballou wrote:

    > Is there any correlation with moving your jaw or swallowing?
    >
    > When I have a bad cold my ear squeeks whenever I swallow.

    Hi Priscilla,

    I don't have any problems with my jaw, like TMJ. So I doubt there is a connection there. I don't
    have a cold either.

    But thanks for the suggestion/idea,
    --
    Jim Dumas T1 4/86, background retinopathy, rarely hypoglycemic: <1/mo. lispro+R+U+NPH daily,
    moderate exercise, typically <6% HbA1c

  7. oh, btw, if a doctor suspects AN, they would need to give you an MRI to make the diagnosis. Mine was
    the size of a small pea.

    dave

    Bay Area Dave wrote:

    > I'm not a doctor, but I've had AN surgery...read up on acoustic neuroma and see if you have any
    > of the symptoms. The surgery left me deaf in one ear, but it beats letting that sucker grow in
    > one's head!
    >
    > dave
    >
    > Jim Dumas wrote:
    >
    >> I just noticed this today. My left ear has always been a problem with "static-electric-like"
    >> noise. But today I keep hearing a chirping/sqeaking noise only in my left ear. If I put an ear
    >> plug in that ear, I still hear the chirping in that ear. I don't think this is DM neuropathy
    >> related. But wondering if anybody else has experienced this.
    >>
    >> I keep looking out the windows for baby birds in nests. Most annoying,

  8. Al Hardy

    Al Hardy Guest

    Jim Dumas wrote:
    > I just noticed this today. My left ear has always been a problem with "static-electric-like"
    > noise. But today I keep hearing a chirping/sqeaking noise only in my left ear. If I put an ear
    > plug in that ear, I still hear the chirping in that ear. I don't think this is DM neuropathy
    > related. But wondering if anybody else has experienced this.
    >
    > I keep looking out the windows for baby birds in nests. Most annoying,

    Well, on this and other NGs we can't diagnose, Drs do that. If it should turn out to be tinnitus
    afaik that is not related to DM. But I am sure there will be a NG about hearing problems.

    In the meantime, please see your doctor.
    --
    Now some people are cute and sweet
    and soft and kind and gentle,

  9. Al Hardy

    Al Hardy Guest

    Al Hardy wrote:
    > Jim Dumas wrote:
    >> I just noticed this today. My left ear has always been a problem with "static-electric-like"
    >> noise. But today I keep hearing a chirping/sqeaking noise only in my left ear. If I put an ear
    >> plug in that ear, I still hear the chirping in that ear. I don't think this is DM neuropathy
    >> related. But wondering if anybody else has experienced this.
    >>
    >> I keep looking out the windows for baby birds in nests. Most annoying,
    >
    > Well, on this and other NGs we can't diagnose, Drs do that. If it should turn out to be tinnitus
    > afaik that is not related to DM. But I am sure there will be a NG about hearing problems.
    >
    > In the meantime, please see your doctor.

    Just found alt.support.tinnitus, so that may help if you doctor does come to that dx.
    --
    Now some people are cute and sweet
    and soft and kind and gentle,
    but I'm someone who's round the bend
    and marvellously mental!

  10. Jim, do a search in alt.support.tinnitus for "acoustic neuroma". I got
    380 hits. Hopefully you don't have one. The stats are approximately
    one person in every 100,000 is diagnosed with a neuroma, so your chances
    are quite small that you have one. I can't win the lotto, but I managed
    to have a neuroma! :)

    dave

    Al Hardy wrote:

    > Al Hardy wrote:
    >
    >>Jim Dumas wrote:
    >>
    >>>I just noticed this today. My left ear has always been a problem with "static-electric-like"
    >>>noise. But today I keep hearing a chirping/sqeaking noise only in my left ear. If I put an ear
    >>>plug in that ear, I still hear the chirping in that ear. I don't think this is DM neuropathy
    >>>related. But wondering if anybody else has experienced this.
    >>>
    >>>I keep looking out the windows for baby birds in nests. Most annoying,
    >>
    >>Well, on this and other NGs we can't diagnose, Drs do that. If it should turn out to be tinnitus
    >>afaik that is not related to DM. But I am sure there will be a NG about hearing problems.
    >>
    >>In the meantime, please see your doctor.
    >

    > Just found alt.support.tinnitus, so that may help if you doctor does come to that dx.
    > --
    > Now some people are cute and sweet and soft and kind and gentle, but I'm someone who's round the
    > bend and marvellously mental!

  11. Oldal4865

    Oldal4865 Guest

    Jim Dumas wrote in message ... I just noticed this today. My left ear has always been a problem with
    "static-electric-like" noise. But today I keep hearing a chirping/sqeaking noise only in my left
    ear. If I put an ear plug in that ear, I still hear the chirping in that ear. I don't think this is
    DM neuropathy related. But wondering if anybody else has experienced this.

    I keep looking out the windows for baby birds in nests. Most annoying,
    --
    Jim Dumas

    Sounds like tinnitus. My wife has been listening to the crickets
    chirping in the dead of winter for 20 years now.

    Regards
    Old Al

  12. BigNascarFan

    BigNascarFan Guest

    Do you shoot your shotgun left handed?

    Jim Dumas wrote:

    > I just noticed this today. My left ear has always been a problem with "static-electric-like"
    > noise. But today I keep hearing a chirping/sqeaking noise only in my left ear. If I put an ear
    > plug in that ear, I still hear the chirping in that ear. I don't think this is DM neuropathy
    > related. But wondering if anybody else has experienced this.
    >
    > I keep looking out the windows for baby birds in nests. Most annoying,
    > --
    > Jim Dumas T1 4/86, background retinopathy, rarely hypoglycemic: <1/mo. lispro+R+U+NPH daily,
    > moderate exercise, typically <6% HbA1c

  13. Bri Snail

    Bri Snail Guest

    Jim Wot did u do for a job previously? have you been subjected to excessive noise? Drilling,
    machines etc I have perpetual singing/ringing I put it down to tinnitus like many responses here,
    probably brought about by my previous work in the building industry, when no one gave a shit about
    health and safety( and i didnt know any better as a youngster)

    Bri Snail "Jim Dumas" <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I just noticed this today. My left ear has always been a problem with "static-electric-like"
    > noise. But today I keep hearing a
    chirping/sqeaking
    > noise only in my left ear. If I put an ear plug in that ear, I still hear the chirping in that
    > ear. I don't think this is DM neuropathy related. But wondering if anybody else has
    > experienced this.
    >
    > I keep looking out the windows for baby birds in nests. Most annoying,
    > --
    > Jim Dumas T1 4/86, background retinopathy, rarely hypoglycemic: <1/mo. lispro+R+U+NPH daily,
    > moderate exercise, typically <6% HbA1c

  14. Marshall

    Marshall Guest

    Mine is from too much rock 'n roll, especially a live concert with the MC5.

    Bri Snail wrote:
    > Jim Wot did u do for a job previously? have you been subjected to excessive noise? Drilling,
    > machines etc I have perpetual singing/ringing I put it down to tinnitus like many responses here,
    > probably brought about by my previous work in the building industry, when no one gave a shit about
    > health and safety( and i didnt know any better as a youngster)
    >
    > Bri Snail "Jim Dumas" <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>I just noticed this today. My left ear has always been a problem with "static-electric-like"
    >>noise. But today I keep hearing a
    >
    > chirping/sqeaking
    >
    >>noise only in my left ear. If I put an ear plug in that ear, I still hear the chirping in that
    >>ear. I don't think this is DM neuropathy related. But wondering if anybody else has
    >>experienced this.
    >>
    >>I keep looking out the windows for baby birds in nests. Most annoying,
    >>--
    >>Jim Dumas T1 4/86, background retinopathy, rarely hypoglycemic: <1/mo. lispro+R+U+NPH daily,
    >>moderate exercise, typically <6% HbA1c

    --
    http://homepage.mac.com/mkatzman/

  15. Jim Dumas

    Jim Dumas Guest

    Jim Dumas wrote:

    > My left ear has always been a problem with "static-electric-like" noise.

    It probably is tinnitus. It's only noticable when the house is quiet. So my current therapy is to
    turn the TV on. I think I'll buy a bird feeder next, if it gets worse.

    I already said to the wife that we're gonna have to buy some parakeets. She said: "We can't! The cat
    won't like it!" So that's the pecking order in my house.

    Thanks to all for responding,
    --
    Jim Dumas T1 4/86, background retinopathy, rarely hypoglycemic: <1/mo. lispro+R+U+NPH daily,
    moderate exercise, typically <6% HbA1c

  16. Jim Dumas

    Jim Dumas Guest

    BigNascarFan wrote:

    > Do you shoot your shotgun left handed?

    Hi Nas,

    I shoot right handed. I have a 12 gauge but it hasn't been a problem. As I look back there was one
    time when I went to a friend's hunting lodge in PA about 25 years ago. I had two old boxes of .357
    magnum hot loads to get rid of. He had a .45 and we put up some tin cans for target practice. So I
    shot all 100 rounds in about 30-40 minutes. I didn't use ear protection and couldn't hear a thing
    for an hour afterwards. So this was where the damage was probably done.

    The young and the restless. Thanks for reminding me,
    --
    Jim Dumas T1 4/86, background retinopathy, rarely hypoglycemic: <1/mo. lispro+R+U+NPH daily,
    moderate exercise, typically <6% HbA1c

  17. Peanutjake

    Peanutjake Guest

    I had that problem years ago.

    The doctor gave me a tablet high in Zinc.

    That solved the noises in my ear.

    Check with your doctor.

    PJ

  18. Jim Dumas

    Jim Dumas Guest

    Peanutjake wrote:

    > I had that problem years ago.
    >
    > The doctor gave me a tablet high in Zinc.
    >
    > That solved the noises in my ear.
    >
    > Check with your doctor.

    That would be an easy fix. I'll ask him. (Just saw him last week before the birds attacked.)

    Thanks, PJ.
    --
    Jim Dumas T1 4/86, background retinopathy, rarely hypoglycemic: <1/mo. lispro+R+U+NPH daily,
    moderate exercise, typically <6% HbA1c

  19. "Jim Dumas" <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Jim Dumas wrote:
    >
    > > My left ear has always been a problem with "static-electric-like" noise.
    >
    > It probably is tinnitus. It's only noticable when the house is quiet. So my current therapy is to
    > turn the TV on. I think I'll buy a bird feeder next, if it gets worse.
    >
    > I already said to the wife that we're gonna have to buy some parakeets.
    She
    > said: "We can't! The cat won't like it!" So that's the pecking order in my house.
    >
    > Thanks to all for responding,

    Oh, no, the cat will expect weekly deliveries, preferably with stuffing and cranberry sauce. Cats
    have their priorities correct about parakeets.....

  20. Jim Dumas

    Jim Dumas Guest

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > Oh, no, the cat will expect weekly deliveries, preferably with stuffing and cranberry sauce. Cats
    > have their priorities correct about parakeets.....

    "The Cat" wins all arguments and eats better that I do.

    The wife was away for a week and I failed to clean the litter properly so he shit on the floor. I
    quickly learned to follow the kitty litter protocol.

    I think I'd like to come back as a cat in the next life,