Birdy Chain Lubricant

pebble

Guest
The chain on my Birdy seems to be particularly prone to rusting after
I've ridden it in heavy rain - I seem to have to clean and re-lube the
chain almost every time it gets seriously wet. I never seemed to have
as much trouble with my old hybrid bike and I was wondering if it's
because the chain on the Birdy is so close to the ground and so gets
more spray and hence salt off the road.

Can anyone recommend a lubricant that lasts a long time in wet weather
?

Cheers

pebble wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a lubricant that lasts a long time in wet weather

Finish Line XC, said the chorus.

World Domination?
Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

pebble wrote:
> The chain on my Birdy seems to be particularly prone to rusting after
> I've ridden it in heavy rain - I seem to have to clean and re-lube the
> chain almost every time it gets seriously wet. I never seemed to have
> as much trouble with my old hybrid bike and I was wondering if it's
> because the chain on the Birdy is so close to the ground and so gets
> more spray and hence salt off the road.
>
> Can anyone recommend a lubricant that lasts a long time in wet weather
> ?

Chainsaw oil. Get it from a proper oil supplier out the yellow pages. £6 for
a gallon, instead of £5 for a little tin of "bike" oil

> Chainsaw oil. Get it from a proper oil supplier out the yellow pages.
> £6 for a gallon, instead of £5 for a little tin of "bike" oil

B&Q sell chainsaw oil. Few quid for a litre of the stuff. By the
chainsaws if you can't find it.

Seems to work well too - takes a good few months before the chain goes
orange again :-/

Mark Thompson wrote:
>>Chainsaw oil. Get it from a proper oil supplier out the yellow pages.
>>£6 for a gallon, instead of £5 for a little tin of "bike" oil

> B&Q sell chainsaw oil. Few quid for a litre of the stuff. By the
> chainsaws if you can't find it.
>
> Seems to work well too - takes a good few months before the chain goes
> orange again :-/

£3.54/litre at B&Q,
£1.99/litre +P&P at Screw Fix Direct

in message <[email protected]>, pebble
('[email protected]') wrote:

> The chain on my Birdy seems to be particularly prone to rusting after
> I've ridden it in heavy rain - I seem to have to clean and re-lube the
> chain almost every time it gets seriously wet. I never seemed to have
> as much trouble with my old hybrid bike and I was wondering if it's
> because the chain on the Birdy is so close to the ground and so gets
> more spray and hence salt off the road.
>
> Can anyone recommend a lubricant that lasts a long time in wet weather

Finish Line Cross Country.

There's nae Gods, an there's precious few heroes
but there's plenty on the dole in th Land o th Leal;
And it's time now, tae sweep the future clear o
th lies o a past that we know wis never real.

Dave Larrington wrote:

> pebble wrote:
>

>>Can anyone recommend a lubricant that lasts a long time in wet weather

That's what I thought until I saw the rusty chain on my touring bike.
Back to 3-in-1, I think, although this also washes off in rainstorms.

Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> writes:

>Dave Larrington wrote:

>> pebble wrote:
>>

>>>Can anyone recommend a lubricant that lasts a long time in wet weather

>That's what I thought until I saw the rusty chain on my touring bike.
>Back to 3-in-1, I think, although this also washes off in rainstorms.

3-in-1 is better than nothing, but too light for the forces on a
chain. The chain will last longer with something heavier.
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]