Birdy for Audax?

Alistair Gunn

Guest
Though I'm currently a content member of the dark side (and have been
since March last year), I recently succumbed and posted a cheque off to
Audax UK ... Now obviously a recumbent (HPV Grasshopper in my case) is a
pretty good mount for an Audax, however being car-less it's a potentially
a bit of pain to transport around on public transport.

The next issue of VeloVision has a review of a Birdy Touring which I
managed to get a few rides on (there are advantages to living in York!).
It was nice, and very orange, and would obviously largely solve the
public transport issues (but would my rear ever forgive me for making it
perch on a saddle for hours at a time? :).

Does anybody have any thoughts on whole "Birdy & Audax" subject that
they'd care to share? Obviously something by Airnimal might be a better
fit, however the mudguards and rack don't seem nearly so well integrated
IMHO. (Probabhly because the Airnimal is more a bike that folds rather
than a folding bicycle.)

PS: I suspect the real background to this question is that I'm suffering
from a desire to spend money in a bicycle-related fashion, and that
I wouldd be better off just getting a Rohloff for the Grasshopper!

In article <[email protected]>
Alistair Gunn <[email protected]> wrote:
> Though I'm currently a content member of the dark side (and have been
> since March last year), I recently succumbed and posted a cheque off to
> Audax UK ... Now obviously a recumbent (HPV Grasshopper in my case) is a
> pretty good mount for an Audax, however being car-less it's a potentially
> a bit of pain to transport around on public transport.
>
> The next issue of VeloVision has a review of a Birdy Touring which I
> managed to get a few rides on (there are advantages to living in York!).
> It was nice, and very orange, and would obviously largely solve the
> public transport issues (but would my rear ever forgive me for making it
> perch on a saddle for hours at a time? :).
>
> Does anybody have any thoughts on whole "Birdy & Audax" subject that
> they'd care to share? Obviously something by Airnimal might be a better
> fit, however the mudguards and rack don't seem nearly so well integrated
> IMHO. (Probabhly because the Airnimal is more a bike that folds rather
> than a folding bicycle.)
>
> PS: I suspect the real background to this question is that I'm suffering
> from a desire to spend money in a bicycle-related fashion, and that
> I wouldd be better off just getting a Rohloff for the Grasshopper!

You could buy a cheap car and drive to events for a couple of years for
the price of a Birdy and a few train tickets. Get a yellow car and
paint 'Mavic' on the side to keep it bicycle-related.
:)

Rob Morley wrote:

> You could buy a cheap car and drive to events for a couple of years for
> the price of a Birdy and a few train tickets. Get a yellow car and
> paint 'Mavic' on the side to keep it bicycle-related.
> :)

Or better still, a cheap van, so you wouldn't be tempted to use it for
other duties ;)