Biria Balloon 7

pegasuslace

Aug 9, 2014
I have a 20 pound pug that I would love to take around with me in my neighborhood & on local errands. I have a Trek 7.4 FX that I use for commuting, but it's not quite the style I'm looking for. I've been looking at getting a second (and less serious) bike for all my non-commuting purposes, and came across the Biria in my local bike shop. Ideally I want a flat-foot bike, and to put 2 baskets on-- 1 for the front and 1 for the back (dog would ride in the front, groceries/other misc. in the back). I really enjoyed test riding the Biria Balloon 7, but I know it's a lesser-known brand. I also looked at Townies, but they're heavier (and I lthe feel & ride of the Biria better). My question is, does anyone have any reccommendations for a bike that would fit these purposes? And does anyone have any reccommendations on riding with a pet (basket, harnesses, etc)

FYI, the specific bike I'm looking at is $599 ($750 with baskets, their installation, and tax). It comes with a rear rack & fenders. I don't mind hearing about lower or higher price points, I just want to hear opinions on if this sounds like a good option & if there are any other better options with other brands/models!
Here is the Biria I'm looking at:
http://www.biria.com/bicycle/easy-boarding/balloon-7

When you throw a 20 pound dog on the front in a basket it can create handling issues. Might want to get a front rack, and then mount a basket on that instead. A lot of baskets won't carry that much weight. Ran into this problem with a woman wanting to carry her 3 Yorkshire terriers in a front basket.

When it comes to cruiser bikes, I like them simple. Internally geared hubs or even single speed. My wife got an Electra Townie 3i and I think it's awesome. Smooth as silk with lots of style. I liked it so much I bought an Electra Cruiser Lux 1 so I could be cool like her. Wasn't really fun going on rides with her riding my hardtail MTB.

I've only seen one Briara come into the shop and its not for me. It was the Lite version with the same step through frame. Can't say it intrigued me but hey, different strokes for different folks. I just think all the cabling and the rear dérailleur kill cruiser style bikes.

Wow - that is one freaky looking bike - I could see how people with certain disabilities or conditions would benefit - but looks like it would snap like a pretzel under stress - I'm sure it wouldn't it just looks like it would.

Hey ABNPFDR-- what do you mean when u say the cabling & rear derailleur kill cruiser styles?

MotownBikeBoy- That was actually a conversation I had with the shop owner-- he assured me it was designed to be really strong in the frame, and even stood up on it and kind of bounced a few times--and it definitely felt pretty solid to me!

Any other possibilities for really cool bike brands? Cuz I didn't say in the original post, I'd love something super unique, too!

Well, I visited a bike shop today & re-looked at townies! And now I'm going back and forth between a Townie and this Biria-- Can anyone lay out in laymen's terms the pros & cons of each??

MotownBikeBoy said:
Wow - that is one freaky looking bike - I could see how people with certain disabilities or conditions would benefit - but looks like it would snap like a pretzel under stress - I'm sure it wouldn't it just looks like it would.
Wait until you see some wooden MTB and Road bikes... :D Imagine waking up one morning and finding a leaf sprouting from your top tube. :D

The bike is probably really really thick walled and the tubes seem to have a huge diameter. It seems like a 3 tube design and it has some reinforcement to the each of the tube welds... They all need to pass CPSC, but if CPSC tests are as lame as the EN standard tests then this doesn't really mean much.

The EN requirements for a bicycle to get approved to EN cert. quality for fatigue strength is 10,000 cycles. That is probably 200km of riding, if not less. So if a bike can survive for 200km under normal use, it's EN certified! :D Which means that you can probably have even a bike made from spaghettini EN certified. :D

pegasuslace said:
Well, I visited a bike shop today & re-looked at townies! And now I'm going back and forth between a Townie and this Biria-- Can anyone lay out in laymen's terms the pros & cons of each??

Why do you want to carry the dog in the basket? Have you ever thought of a trailer? It sounds much safer... (Knocks on the handlebar is a guaranteed way for losing your balance). Yes I also saw the pretty photos of the girl in the skirt with the flowers in the rack and the dog in the front. These are non-existent... I saw one girl trying to re-enact such a photo on the cycle path once. -Once-... :D

Which makes me remember a funny story about a group ride, a trailer with a window and one of these long eared dogs with the aerodynamic noses sticking it's head out. When the speed was going up the ears of the dog started flapping parallel to the ground! It looked like it was going to take off! :D

Any bike should do for canine transportation :D (what else man, what else... :D), if you want something unique maybe you could go for a custom bike. ;)

Thorn makes some nice girls step-through touring bikes. (you are a girl right? :D ) :) You can get a full custom one and they have sales for pre-built ones. :)

29706.jpg

dog-trailer1.jpg

Volnix-- Yes, I'm a girl :) I did have a Tail Wagon (one of those pet trailers), but it was just so cumbersome that I found myself not using it (I used it once when I first got it to test it out, and then never again). I did a quick internet search & didn't see that Thorn is available in the US! I live in Seattle, so I'm sure there are plenty of things to choose from in all the local shops, I just have to look more! On another note, It's pretty hilly here, and this is my qualm with Townies--you can't get up and pedal on these, and while I want this bike to be mainly for quick grocery runs and rides around my neighborhood, I would love for it to be able to deal with hills!

pegasuslace said:
Volnix-- Yes, I'm a girl :) I did have a Tail Wagon (one of those pet trailers), but it was just so cumbersome that I found myself not using it (I used it once when I first got it to test it out, and then never again). I did a quick internet search & didn't see that Thorn is available in the US! I live in Seattle, so I'm sure there are plenty of things to choose from in all the local shops, I just have to look more! On another note, It's pretty hilly here, and this is my qualm with Townies--you can't get up and pedal on these, and while I want this bike to be mainly for quick grocery runs and rides around my neighborhood, I would love for it to be able to deal with hills!
Thorn does fully custom... Their on-line retailer is SJS Cycles. It ships worldwide. (Don't make me post the link :p :D ).

That means you can get a triple in front with a 34t rear... You can climb trees with that! :D

Another one, closer to the "New World" is Guru. They also do Titanium and Steel. Again fully custom. Made in Canada. ;)

Less "unique" over there would be "Surly". I bet you can find lots of these easily. Like the CrossCheck and LongHaulTrucker ones...

Poor snout on the basket... :( Get a trailer for it!!! :p :D

resized_stoner-dog-meme-generator-hahahahahaahahahahhahahaahahahhahahahaha-you-don-t-love-me-b2372a.jpg