birthday cake

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by diane, Jan 27, 2005.

  1. diane

    diane Guest

    The situation comes up at least 1 time a year for all of us.......how many
    carbs and calories is in that Birthday cake?

    Lets use the standard of 8" round cake with buttercream frosting.

    I'm working on some calculations in fitday
    --
    Diane

    Tags:

  2. diane

    diane Guest

    This was actually an easier dilemma than I thought once I looked up cupcakes
    with frosting. About 25 carbs each. A cupcake is a good unit of measure- I
    can relate to that when I cut my piece tonight

    Actually- it's better than pasta!!!

    --
    Diane

    "diane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > The situation comes up at least 1 time a year for all of us.......how many
    > carbs and calories is in that Birthday cake?
    >
    > Lets use the standard of 8" round cake with buttercream frosting.
    >
    > I'm working on some calculations in fitday
    > --
    > Diane

  3. BJ in Texas

    BJ in Texas Guest

    diane wrote:
    || The situation comes up at least 1 time a year for all of
    || us.......how many carbs and calories is in that Birthday
    cake?
    || Lets use the standard of 8" round cake with buttercream
    || frosting.
    || I'm working on some calculations in fitday
    || --
    || Diane

    Why, do you plan on eating the whole thing?
    I just have a small piece and don't sweat it once a year.

    BJ

  4. Bob M

    Bob M Guest

    On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:21:58 -0500, diane <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Bob, so far I've take a token slice about 1/4 cup serving. A toast to the
    > birthday person. They all know me well at work and just laugh at my
    > serving.
    > At least I'm joining in the celebration and not wondering what the cake
    > tasted like.
    >
    > I figured out the bakery cake issue though -enough to fit it into
    > Fitday. My
    > cake here weighs just about 1 pound=16 ounces. Its pretty heavy for a
    > 8"cake.
    > If I divide the cake into 16 pieces (1 ounce each) it is about a 1 1/2
    > inch
    > slice.
    >
    > I input cupcake into fitday in oz. and got a 19 carbs so my first guess
    > of
    > 25 is still a good rule of thumb. (a big cupcake was 32)
    >
    > so if your an OWL I think you can have that small piece of cake and not
    > get
    > beat up about it- just don't do it all the time

    Sometimes, I don't mind it, like when I'm going to bike 50+ miles on the
    weekend. But in the winter, when I'm lucky to bike 15 miles at a stretch
    because of the cold (last Saturday, for instance, it was just above zero
    when I got back from riding -- I could barely see because of the ice
    buildup on my eyelids), I'm hesitant to eat cake. I'm still trying to
    decide whether to have a small piece or forego it.

    --
    Bob in CT

  5. diane

    diane Guest

    hahaha! you can appreciate me X skiing the other night. I was huffing so
    hard, but every time I stopped the steam would fog up my glasses, so I had
    to keep moving. I didn't lose an ounce from that workout either.gosh I was
    wobbly the next day at work

    --
    The key to success is knowing your limits
    "Bob M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]
    > On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:21:58 -0500, diane <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Bob, so far I've take a token slice about 1/4 cup serving. A toast to the
    >> birthday person. They all know me well at work and just laugh at my
    >> serving.
    >> At least I'm joining in the celebration and not wondering what the cake
    >> tasted like.
    >>
    >> I figured out the bakery cake issue though -enough to fit it into
    >> Fitday. My
    >> cake here weighs just about 1 pound=16 ounces. Its pretty heavy for a
    >> 8"cake.
    >> If I divide the cake into 16 pieces (1 ounce each) it is about a 1 1/2
    >> inch
    >> slice.
    >>
    >> I input cupcake into fitday in oz. and got a 19 carbs so my first guess
    >> of
    >> 25 is still a good rule of thumb. (a big cupcake was 32)
    >>
    >> so if your an OWL I think you can have that small piece of cake and not
    >> get
    >> beat up about it- just don't do it all the time
    >>

    > Sometimes, I don't mind it, like when I'm going to bike 50+ miles on the
    > weekend. But in the winter, when I'm lucky to bike 15 miles at a stretch
    > because of the cold (last Saturday, for instance, it was just above zero
    > when I got back from riding -- I could barely see because of the ice
    > buildup on my eyelids), I'm hesitant to eat cake. I'm still trying to
    > decide whether to have a small piece or forego it.
    >
    > --
    > Bob in CT

  6. Bob M

    Bob M Guest

    On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:01:14 -0500, diane <[email protected]> wrote:

    > hahaha! you can appreciate me X skiing the other night. I was huffing so
    > hard, but every time I stopped the steam would fog up my glasses, so I
    > had
    > to keep moving. I didn't lose an ounce from that workout either.gosh I
    > was
    > wobbly the next day at work

    I just bought goggles so that I could protect my eyes; the goggles fogged
    up within 10 minute of my ride (and that's with "antifog" on them!), and
    then the fog froze solid. I had to ride without them.

    You might have lost weight from that exercise -- I find it takes a few
    days for the effects of exercise to show up (sorta the same way with food
    -- eat too much and it takes a while to show up on the scale).

    --
    Bob in CT

  7. diane

    diane Guest

    I have to go out again by tomorrow-after the birthday dinner tonight at
    least.

    I couldn't believe I was sore in muscles I hadn't used before- even my abs
    hurt- then I had to work receiving today...ouch.

    --
    The key to success is knowing your limits
    "Bob M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]
    > On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:01:14 -0500, diane <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> hahaha! you can appreciate me X skiing the other night. I was huffing so
    >> hard, but every time I stopped the steam would fog up my glasses, so I
    >> had
    >> to keep moving. I didn't lose an ounce from that workout either.gosh I
    >> was
    >> wobbly the next day at work
    >>

    > I just bought goggles so that I could protect my eyes; the goggles fogged
    > up within 10 minute of my ride (and that's with "antifog" on them!), and
    > then the fog froze solid. I had to ride without them.
    >
    > You might have lost weight from that exercise -- I find it takes a few
    > days for the effects of exercise to show up (sorta the same way with
    > ood -- eat too much and it takes a while to show up on the scale).
    >
    > --
    > Bob in CT

  8. Xtile

    Xtile Guest

    diane wrote:
    > The situation comes up at least 1 time a year for all of us.......how many
    > carbs and calories is in that Birthday cake?
    >
    > Lets use the standard of 8" round cake with buttercream frosting.
    >
    > I'm working on some calculations in fitday

    Buy or bake the cake, then make sure everyone eats it but you. No other
    way, really.

  9. diane

    diane Guest

    I had my 2 oz- and probably won't give the rest of the cake another thought.

    BTW I cut off the top of the cake box and turned it upside down onto the
    cake for a cover for the dish....this way I don't see cake when I walk in to
    the kitchen

    --
    The key to success is knowing your limits
    "Xtile" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > diane wrote:
    >> The situation comes up at least 1 time a year for all of us.......how
    >> many carbs and calories is in that Birthday cake?
    >>
    >> Lets use the standard of 8" round cake with buttercream frosting.
    >>
    >> I'm working on some calculations in fitday

    > Buy or bake the cake, then make sure everyone eats it but you. No other
    > way, really.

  10. Jennifer

    Jennifer Guest

    Clearly you haven't read the recent study:

    Modern research has determined that "Birthday Cake", ie: A highly
    decorated sweet flour/fat/sugar based dessert, generally festooned with
    YOUR name, has NO CALORIES, NO CARBS, AND NO FAT.

    Shocking? Sure.

    But it appears, the joy felt once a year when we eat a piece of this
    comestible surrounded by our loved ones immediately dissipates all
    CALORIES, CARBS AND FAT!

    There are a few important caveats:

    1. It must be YOUR birthday.

    2. You must only have ONE birthday a year.

    3. Cake must be consumed AFTER appropriate musical accompaniment ("Happy
    Birthday" or "For He/She's a Jolly Good Fellow/Person" or the like).

    4. Candles, while low carb, low calorie and low fat must NOT be
    consumed... especially when lit.

    5. BEWARE! Foods consumed before and after cake maintain their original
    carb, fat and calorie count.

    This has been brought to you as a public service announcement.

    Jennifer

    Yes, the "Ice Cream AND Cake" variable was addressed in the study.

    Should "Ice Cream AND Cake" be consumed, as separate items, each will
    release HALF of it's calories, carbs and fats. So an option would be to
    only eat the HALF that is now CCF-FREE. Determining which half is now
    CCF-FREE is easy... it's the half closest to you.

    As for an "Ice Cream Cake" ie: Baskin Robbins/Haggan Daz/Carvel... normal
    sized slices fall under the original CCF-FREE study and can be consumed
    with pleasure.

    Hope that clears it up.

    diane wrote:

    > The situation comes up at least 1 time a year for all of us.......how many
    > carbs and calories is in that Birthday cake?
    >
    > Lets use the standard of 8" round cake with buttercream frosting.
    >
    > I'm working on some calculations in fitday

  11. Cake isn't low carb.

    --
    Now piss off. You cannot possibly be this stupid and remember to
    breathe. You must be trolling. -- Carmen

    "diane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > The situation comes up at least 1 time a year for all of us.......how many
    > carbs and calories is in that Birthday cake?
    >
    > Lets use the standard of 8" round cake with buttercream frosting.
    >
    > I'm working on some calculations in fitday
    > --
    > Diane

  12. Steve Knight

    Steve Knight Guest

    On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 17:32:35 -0800, Jennifer <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Clearly you haven't read the recent study:
    >
    >Modern research has determined that "Birthday Cake", ie: A highly
    >decorated sweet flour/fat/sugar based dessert, generally festooned with
    >YOUR name, has NO CALORIES, NO CARBS, AND NO FAT.

    because unless you work at it the ones you buy in the store are made of sawdust
    (G)

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

  13. Jane Lumley

    Jane Lumley Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, nanner <[email protected]>
    writes
    >> At work, there are 3 people who have birthdays near Christmas. It's
    >> already hard to eat well without additional birthday parties. Anyone said
    >> "no" to cake at a birthday party for a coworker?

    I always do. People expect it now. They tease me, but that's ok.

    --
    Jane Lumley

  14. Sprgtime

    Sprgtime Guest

    "Bob M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]
    > On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 14:20:13 -0500, diane <[email protected]> wrote:

    > At work, there are 3 people who have birthdays near Christmas. It's
    > already hard to eat well without additional birthday parties. Anyone said
    > "no" to cake at a birthday party for a coworker?

    Yes - all the time. I didn't have any cake at work all last year. I'm sure
    I passed it up at least 15 times. I'll go in an celebrate with my
    coworkers - glass of water in hand, chatting with others. I don't eat any
    dessert, though. It might sound awful but it's really not. Nobody thinks
    much of it at all. I find avoiding it completely to be much easier than
    having a small portion (far too often - at my workplace) and then dealing
    with cravings/feeling ill.

    --
    Spring
    LC since 1/1/04

    "Before" & "current" pics at link below:
    http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sprgsnow/album?.tok=phX4sVBBuvxvs4Hs&.dir=/55b8&.src=ph