Birthday dinner

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Amarantha, Mar 6, 2005.

  1. Amarantha

    Amarantha Guest

    So Mum suggested I go out to her place for my birthday since it was a
    Saturday, and we'd all have dinner there (me, my sheol, Mum 'n' Dad, my
    brother and sister-in-law). I said OK, so long as I got to do the cooking,
    'cause I never get to cook for people except sheol and myself.

    I made Ben O'Donoghue's barbecued pork belly (from "Surfing the Menu"), my
    own scalloped potatoes, roasted red onions inspired by Jamie Oliver, a
    basic Tuscan salad with my special dressing and blanched green beans. With
    all my favourite foods at once, I didn't know what to eat first, but got
    lots of compliments from my family :) It's so nice to cook for other
    people for a change.

    Mum made the dessert - I couldn't decide if I wanted lemon cheesecake or
    ginger-fluff sponge, so she did both. Both were divine, although better on
    their own than as a combination - I now know to make an actual decision
    next time ;)

    Once our insanely busy social life dies down and we've had a rest, I
    believe sheol and I shall have to have some dinner parties :)

    nil illegitimi carborundum

    Tags:

  2. Amarantha

    Amarantha Guest

    Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > On Sun 06 Mar 2005 08:27:03p, Amarantha wrote in rec.food.cooking:
    >

    >> I made Ben O'Donoghue's barbecued pork belly (from "Surfing the Menu"),

    > Sounds like a lovely birthday dinner! And, a Happy Belated Birthday!!!
    >
    > Any chance of your posting the recipe for the barbecued pork belly?

    hehe thanks :)
    And ya, I don't see why not. It's published on the ABC website:
    http://www.abc.net.au/surfingmenu/pork1.htm

    I'll add one thing, which those more experienced than me might already know
    - don't stir the sugar/water mixture in step 3. I assumed I'd have to stir
    it to stop it burning, but it crystallised solid, and once Mum realised
    what I was up to she explained that it's best left alone. Once we left it
    alone it melted just fine and went golden like it was supposed to.

  3. On Sun 06 Mar 2005 08:48:12p, Amarantha wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> On Sun 06 Mar 2005 08:27:03p, Amarantha wrote in rec.food.cooking:
    >>

    >>> I made Ben O'Donoghue's barbecued pork belly (from "Surfing the
    >>> Menu"), K

    >> Sounds like a lovely birthday dinner! And, a Happy Belated Birthday!!!
    >>
    >> Any chance of your posting the recipe for the barbecued pork belly?
    >>

    > hehe thanks :)
    > And ya, I don't see why not. It's published on the ABC website:
    > http://www.abc.net.au/surfingmenu/pork1.htm
    >
    > I'll add one thing, which those more experienced than me might already
    > know - don't stir the sugar/water mixture in step 3. I assumed I'd have
    > to stir it to stop it burning, but it crystallised solid, and once Mum
    > realised what I was up to she explained that it's best left alone. Once
    > we left it alone it melted just fine and went golden like it was
    > supposed to.

    Oh, thank you!!! The recipe looks really delicious. A must for an
    upcoming weekend.

    Actually, I did know about the sugar/water thing, as I've caramelized sugar
    before. But a good tip, nonetheless.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright

    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  4. Happy birthday! It all sounds wonderful. Could you tell me about your
    special salad dressing? And I'd love to know what ginger-fluff sponge is!

    I went out for a birthday dinner tonight. We went to a pan-Asian place, but
    I just couldn't get into the menu. They had a few things from several
    different countries, but not just what I wanted. I ended up w/ some so-so
    summer rolls (too lettucey, very little shrimp, and the sauce wasn't to my
    liking) and a *fabulous* bowl of "Asian boulliabaisse", with coconut milk,
    galangal, chiles, lime,...yum! Will have to learn to make that at home!

    Chris

  5. Amarantha <[email protected]>, if that's their real name,
    wrote:

    >So Mum suggested I go out to her place for my birthday since it was a
    >Saturday, and we'd all have dinner there (me, my sheol, Mum 'n' Dad, my
    >brother and sister-in-law). I said OK, so long as I got to do the cooking,
    >'cause I never get to cook for people except sheol and myself.

    Happy birthday, Amarantha! Your dinner sounds fabulous!

    Carol

  6. Bronwyn

    Bronwyn Guest

    Sounds a great recipe, apart from the Coca Cola. I thought it might
    have been the US ABC network but no, it our own Aunty ABC in Oz.
    So anyone got any ideas instead of Cola? Can't stand the stuff to
    drink or otherwise.
    Cheers
    Bronwyn

  7. jillie

    jillie Guest

    Happy birthday!!! Your menu sounds great and I'm sure everyone enjoyed
    it.
    I got the recipe from the link you posted and will try it on the coming
    weekend.

    However!!!!! I'm going to be lying in my bed all night, wide awake,
    trying to figure out what SHEOL means. (and I know I'll feel stupid
    once I find out)

    jillie
    Rosevilee, CA

    Amarantha wrote:
    > So Mum suggested I go out to her place for my birthday since it was a

    > Saturday, and we'd all have dinner there (me, my sheol, Mum 'n' Dad,

    my
    > brother and sister-in-law). I said OK, so long as I got to do the

    cooking,
    > 'cause I never get to cook for people except sheol and myself.
    >
    > I made Ben O'Donoghue's barbecued pork belly (from "Surfing the

    Menu"), my
    > own scalloped potatoes, roasted red onions inspired by Jamie Oliver,

    > basic Tuscan salad with my special dressing and blanched green beans.

    With
    > all my favourite foods at once, I didn't know what to eat first, but

    got
    > lots of compliments from my family :) It's so nice to cook for other

    > people for a change.
    >
    > Mum made the dessert - I couldn't decide if I wanted lemon cheesecake

    or
    > ginger-fluff sponge, so she did both. Both were divine, although

    better on
    > their own than as a combination - I now know to make an actual

    decision
    > next time ;)
    >
    > Once our insanely busy social life dies down and we've had a rest, I
    > believe sheol and I shall have to have some dinner parties :)

    > nil illegitimi carborundum

  8. Amarantha

    Amarantha Guest

    "Chris Neidecker" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:eek:[email protected]:

    > Happy birthday! It all sounds wonderful. Could you tell me about
    > your special salad dressing? And I'd love to know what ginger-fluff
    > sponge is!
    >
    > I went out for a birthday dinner tonight. We went to a pan-Asian
    > place, but I just couldn't get into the menu. They had a few things
    > from several different countries, but not just what I wanted. I ended
    > up w/ some so-so summer rolls (too lettucey, very little shrimp, and
    > the sauce wasn't to my liking) and a *fabulous* bowl of "Asian
    > boulliabaisse", with coconut milk, galangal, chiles, lime,...yum!
    > Will have to learn to make that at home!
    >
    > Chris

    Happy birthday yourself (assuming it was yours you went out for), and
    damn that "Asian boulliabaisse" sounds yummy. It sounds like a variation
    on Thai Tom Kha - that might be something to search on if you're looking
    for recipes.

    My dressing is simple - lemon juice, EVOO, salt, pepper, ground cumin and
    ground coriander.

    Ginger-fluff sponge is a sponge cake that my mum makes, with ground
    ginger as an ingredient. I don't have the recipe, but could ask her if
    you like :)

    nil illegitimi carborundum

  9. Amarantha

    Amarantha Guest

    "Bronwyn" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1110192522.451038.56260
    @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > Sounds a great recipe, apart from the Coca Cola. I thought it might
    > have been the US ABC network but no, it our own Aunty ABC in Oz.
    > So anyone got any ideas instead of Cola? Can't stand the stuff to
    > drink or otherwise.
    > Cheers
    > Bronwyn

    It doesn't taste like cola - I think the idea is just to glaze the pork by
    cooking it in something sugary and to tenderise it by cooking it in
    something acidic. Even if there were any residual cola flavour in it after
    the boiling, it's well and truly drowned by the BBQ sauce - that stuff is
    strong! But if you're really against the coke, I'm sure the experts around
    here will have ideas :) Me, I'd be inclined to try dry ginger ale.

    nil illegitimi carborundum

  10. Amarantha

    Amarantha Guest

    Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Happy birthday, Amarantha! Your dinner sounds fabulous!
    >
    > Carol

    Thanks :)

    nil illegitimi carborundum

  11. Amarantha

    Amarantha Guest

    "jillie" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1110239424.612329.185660
    @l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

    > However!!!!! I'm going to be lying in my bed all night, wide awake,
    > trying to figure out what SHEOL means. (and I know I'll feel stupid
    > once I find out)

    Oops, my fault. I should probably have made that clear ;) sheol is the
    online nick of my other half, like mine is Amarantha. We've grown
    accustomed to referring to each other by our real names in real life and
    our online names when online.

    nil illegitimi carborundum

  12. jillie

    jillie Guest

    hurrah!!! I can sleep tonight and I don't have to feel stupid.

    Sometimes it pays to ask questions. ;-)

    jillie
    Roseville, CA

  13. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Amarantha wrote:

    >> However!!!!! I'm going to be lying in my bed all night, wide awake,
    >> trying to figure out what SHEOL means. (and I know I'll feel stupid
    >> once I find out)
    >>

    > Oops, my fault. I should probably have made that clear ;) sheol is the
    > online nick of my other half, like mine is Amarantha. We've grown
    > accustomed to referring to each other by our real names in real life and
    > our online names when online.

    Spoilsport! I was all set to provide the dictionary definition:

    Sheol: The abode of the dead, in early Hebrew thought.

    There are some Christian sects who hold that Sheol = Hell.

    Bob

  14. Rona Y.

    Rona Y. Guest

    Amarantha wrote:

    > Ginger-fluff sponge is a sponge cake that my mum makes, with ground
    > ginger as an ingredient. I don't have the recipe, but could ask her
    > if you like :)

    Please!! I'm not Chris, but I love ginger and I love sponge cake. What a
    great combination!

    rona

    "[America] is filled with people who decided not to live in Europe. We
    had people who really wanted to live in Europe, but didn't have the
    energy to go back. We call them Canadians." ---Grover Norquist in
    Newsweek, November 22, 2004

  15. Amarantha

    Amarantha Guest

    "Rona Y." <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Amarantha wrote:
    >>
    >> Ginger-fluff sponge is a sponge cake that my mum makes, with ground
    >> ginger as an ingredient. I don't have the recipe, but could ask her
    >> if you like :)

    > Please!! I'm not Chris, but I love ginger and I love sponge cake.
    > What a great combination!

    Here it is - I phoned Mum last night. The ginger is more a hint than a
    strong influence, but you could add more if you wish :)

    Ginger Fluff Sponge Cake

    4 eggs, separated
    3/4 cup caster sugar
    1/2 cup corn flour
    2 dessertspoons self-raising flour
    1 tsp cocoa
    2 tsp cinnamon
    2 tsp ground ginger
    1 dessertspoon golden syrup
    1 dessertspoon butter

    Prepare two 7" round sponge tins by greasing with butter or oil and
    dusting with flour.

    Sift dry ingredients (except sugar) four times.
    Melt together butter and golden syrup and allow to cool slightly.
    Beat (whisk) egg whites until stiff and shiny. Add sugar and beat well.
    Add egg yolks, beat until combined.
    Add sifted dry ingredients. Fold in gently with a metal spoon or
    spatula.
    Add butter and golden syrup mixture.

    Bake in mod oven 15-20 mins. Is cooked when sponge leaves side of tin
    and springs back to touch.

    Turn onto wire rack to cool.
    Sandwich together with whipped cream and top as desired.

    nil illegitimi carborundum

  16. Rona Y.

    Rona Y. Guest

    Amarantha wrote:
    > Here it is - I phoned Mum last night. The ginger is more a hint than
    > a strong influence, but you could add more if you wish :)
    >
    > Ginger Fluff Sponge Cake

    <snip>

    Thanks so much! I'll get my hands on some golden syrup and try it out!

    Newsweek, November 22, 2004