biscuits and gravy?????

"> >
> > SAUSAGE GRAVY:
> > 1/2 lb. bulk sausage
>
> Might need to clarify what (in the U.S.) bulk sausage is,
> for this purpose, anyway. It's ground pork sausage
> generally seasoned with pepper and sage. Usually served
> for breakfast. The term 'bulk' means it's not been stuffed
> into casings like bangers. :)
>
> Jill

this is what we just call sausage meat. Paula.

paula wrote:

> notbob <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > Don't feel bad about the confusion. We Americans are
> > still trying to figure out what the heck Brits mean by
> > "pudding". :)

> i certainly do not feel bad about not knowing what an
> american term is .As for our pudding it usually refers to
> a hot desert like bread and butter pudding, spotted ****,
> eves pudding, jam roly poly etc. Then of course there are
> the savoury type of puddings like baked suet pudding (used
> instead of dumplings in the stew --this is baked seperatly
> and is nice and crispy) and of course our Yorkshire
> pudding.

See, you need more words. People keep saying, well, pudding
means dessert in Britain. But no, there's also dumplings and
Yorkshire pudding.

nancy (thinking of new words for Brits)

Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> nancy (thinking of new words for Brits)

Speckled ****? err or is that Spotted ****. And if it
is Spotted
****...where was did you spot it?

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on
nothing but food and water.

hahabogus wrote:

> Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote in

> > nancy (thinking of new words for Brits)
> >

> Speckled ****? err or is that Spotted ****. And if it
> is Spotted
> ****...where was did you spot it?

Oh, I have never seen such a thing. With any luck.

nancy

Nancy Young wrote:
> hahabogus wrote:
>>
>> Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote in
>
>>> nancy (thinking of new words for Brits)
>>>

>> Speckled ****? err or is that Spotted ****. And if it is
>> Spotted
>> ****...where was did you spot it?
>
> Oh, I have never seen such a thing. With any luck.
>
> nancy

Silly, it's basically a muffin with currants in it. Spotted.

Jill

jmcquown wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
> > hahabogus wrote:

> > Oh, I have never seen such a thing. With any luck.

> Silly, it's basically a muffin with currants in it.
> Spotted.

****.

nancy

It has raisins in it, hence the "spotted." Very popular at
school meals.

in article [email protected], Nancy Young
at [email protected] wrote on 3/27/04 5:59 PM:

> hahabogus wrote:
>>
>> Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote in
>
>>> nancy (thinking of new words for Brits)
>>>

>> Speckled ****? err or is that Spotted ****. And if it is
>> Spotted
>> ****...where was did you spot it?
>
> Oh, I have never seen such a thing. With any luck.
>
> nancy

Let's get the correct info here: The Oxford Companion to
Food comments that, strictly speaking, "spotted ****" is
made by taking a flat sheet, spreading sugar and raisins on
it, then rolling it up. A similar dessert is "spotted dog,"
a plain cylinder of suet paste with the raisins and currants
and sugar stuck into it, so that the spots are visible on
the outside. Both spotted **** and spotted dog were
traditionally boiled (or even steamed) in a cloth, but
nowadays they are usually baked.

The dessert is slightly different in Ireland. In Ireland in
the late 1800s, the tradition of yeast-bread manufacture was
not strong, so most breads were raised with bicarbonate of
soda and an acid, rather than with yeast, and thus called
soda breads. Thus, the spotted **** in Ireland is sweet soda
bread, with sugar, currants, and raisins, and it's also
called the spotted dog or railway cake.

And this just in: (picture at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2249273.stm)

Tuesday, 10 September, 2002, 18:33 GMT 19:33 UK Spotted ****
back on menu

The traditional pudding is a favourite on hospital menus A
traditional pudding which was renamed after hospital
managers thought patients would be too embarrassed to ask
for it, is being restored to Gloucestershire's hospital
menus. 'Spotted ****' will replace 'Spotted Richard' after
it was decided patients are capable of overcoming their
blushes long enough to ask for it. The name change was
originally introduced three years by the Gloucestershire
Hospitals NHS Trust. It was thought patients might feel
uncomfortable asking for the dessert. It's not even as
though people have to ask for it - they tick a box on a menu
card to order their food

Mike Byrne, catering manager

Nancy Young wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>> hahabogus wrote:
>
>>> Oh, I have never seen such a thing. With any luck.
>
>> Silly, it's basically a muffin with currants in it.
>> Spotted.
>
> ****.
>
> nancy

Marco! (you should reply "Polo"!)

Charles Gifford wrote:

> "Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > paula wrote:
> > >
> > > o.k. so here is another question for the American
> > > readers.I have seen mentioned a few times"
> > > biscuits and gravy." As our biscuits are usually
> > > sweet i.e. ginger, hob nobs, chocolate etc. and
> > > our gravy is the brown stuff made with meat
> > > stock, you can imagine the horrible picture it
> > > presents.Now i know that your equivalent to our
> > > biscuits are called cookies so what exactly are
> > > YOUR'E biscuits and gravy.Please enlighten.
> >
> > Think more in terms of scones, but the scones have a
> > softer texture than real scones. The gravy is white
> > rather than brown.
>
> The closest thing I know to US biscuits is the type of
> scones used on top of a stew. They are used as US
> dumplings are used. But if baked instead of used as a stew
> topping, they would be very close.
>
> Charlie

LOL scones aren't used to top stews. They are called
dumplings.

jmcquown wrote:

> Dimitri wrote:
> > "paula" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> o.k. so here is another question for the American
> >> readers.I have seen mentioned a few times"
> >> biscuits and gravy." As our biscuits are usually
> >> sweet i.e. ginger, hob nobs, chocolate etc. and
> >> our gravy is the brown stuff made with meat stock,
> >> you can imagine the horrible picture it
> >> presents.Now i know that your equivalent to our
> >> biscuits are called cookies so what exactly are
> >> YOUR'E biscuits and gravy.Please enlighten.
> >
> > Sure - here make some: There are abour a few thousand
> > recipes but this is as good as any.
> >
> > Dimitri
> >
> > BISCUITS AND GRAVY
> >
> > SAUSAGE GRAVY:
> > 1/2 lb. bulk sausage
>
> Might need to clarify what (in the U.S.) bulk sausage is,
> for this purpose, anyway. It's ground pork sausage
> generally seasoned with pepper and sage. Usually served
> for breakfast. The term 'bulk' means it's not been stuffed
> into casings like bangers. :)
>
> Jill

Known as sausagemeat in the UK.

Arri London wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Dimitri wrote:
>>> "paula" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> Sure - here make some: There are abour a few thousand
>>> recipes but this is as good as any.
>>>
>>> Dimitri
>>>
>>> BISCUITS AND GRAVY
>>>
>>> SAUSAGE GRAVY:
>>> 1/2 lb. bulk sausage
>>
>> Might need to clarify what (in the U.S.) bulk sausage is,
>> for this purpose, anyway. It's ground pork sausage
>> generally seasoned with pepper and sage. Usually served
>> for breakfast. The term 'bulk' means it's not been
>> stuffed into casings like bangers. :)
>>
>> Jill
>
> Known as sausagemeat in the UK.

See? I knew it would require clarification ;)

Jill

"Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Charles Gifford wrote:
> >
> > "Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

seen

> > > Think more in terms of scones, but the scones have a
> > > softer texture
than
> > > real scones. The gravy is white rather than brown.
> >
> > The closest thing I know to US biscuits is the type of
> > scones used on
top of
> > a stew. They are used as US dumplings are used. But if
> > baked instead of
used
> > as a stew topping, they would be very close.
> >
> > Charlie
>
> LOL scones aren't used to top stews. They are called
> dumplings.

Laugh at me will you? Your understanding of things British
aren't as complete as you would like to imply. You should be
embarrassed for yourself and ashamed of your ignorance.

Charlie

"ConnieG999" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Dimitri" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> >knead gently with heel of hand about 20 strokes.
>
> Dimitri, as right as you almost *always* are, this time
> you're wrong. Biscuits should NEVER be kneaded. The dough
> should be turned out of the
bowl,
> patted down, and cut. They will be much lighter than if
> kneaded.
>
> (Okay, now everybody disagree with me! LOL!)
>
> Connie
> My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.

You are of course correct - good buscuit dough should
be mixed and then worked lightly if at all to minimize
the amount of gluten. Like a good pie crust minimize
the handling.

Dimitri

knead [NEED] A technique used to mix and work a dough in
order to form it into a cohesive, pliable mass. During
kneading, the network of GLUTEN strands stretches and
expands, thereby enabling a dough to hold in the gas bubbles
formed by a LEAVENER (which allows it to rise). Kneading is
accomplished either manually or by machine - usually a large
mixer equipped with a dough hook (some machines have two
dough hooks) or a FOOD PROCESSOR with a plastic blade. By
hand, kneading is done with a pressing-folding-turning
action performed by pressing down into the dough with the
heels of both hands, then pushing away from the body. The
dough is folded in half and given a quarter turn, and the
process is repeated. Depending on the dough, the manual
kneading time can range anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes (or
more). Well-kneaded dough is smooth and elastic. © Copyright
Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

"Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "ConnieG999" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040326233132.05715.00000034@mb-
> m25.aol.com...
> > "Dimitri" <[email protected]> writes:
> >
> > >knead gently with heel of hand about 20 strokes.
> >
> > Dimitri, as right as you almost *always* are, this time
> > you're wrong. Biscuits should NEVER be kneaded. The
> > dough should be turned out of the
> bowl,
> > patted down, and cut. They will be much lighter than if
> > kneaded.
> >
> > (Okay, now everybody disagree with me! LOL!)
> >
> > Connie
> > *****************************************************
> > My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.
>
> You are of course correct - good buscuit dough should be
> mixed and then worked lightly if at all to minimize the
> amount of gluten. Like a good pie crust minimize the
> handling.

The lightest bicuits I have ever had are the "drop" style.
You do not roll out and cut the biscuits but simply drop
spoonsful of the loose batter/dough on the baking sheet.

--
Peter Aitken

Remove the **** from my email address before using.

i come from biscuit country here in the the southeastern usa and consider
myself somewhat of a biscuit connoisseur. just because we're rednecks
doesn't mean we don't have refined taste. to prove this to the rest of the
world (and to potentially kill you all with cholesterol) i submit a recipe
of my own creation. enjoy :)

redneck eggs benedict (for trailer trash eggs benedict
substitute hot buttered grits for hollandaise sauce)

southern buttermilk biscuits topped with two pieces of
quality thick sliced bacon, an over medium egg fried in
butter and finished with hollandaise sauce.

(makes two servings)

biscuits

1 cup self rising flour 3 tablespoons butter
1/4 to 1/3 cups of buttermilk (regular milk works fine for
buttermilkaphobes) pinch of salt

preheat oven to 425f. combine flour, salt and butter in a
mixing bowl. pinch in butter/flatten between palms until it
resembles a course meal. stir in buttermilk slowly with a
pam sprayed mixing spoon until the mixture makes a wet
sticky dough. combine thoroughly but don't overmix dough.
spray hands with pam and pat out inch thick disks (two of
them) with the dough. place on a greased cookie sheet and
bake in the oven for 14 to 18 minutes or until they are
gb&d. (golden brown & delicious)

bacon

fry 4 slices of bacon until crispy and set aside. reserve a
teaspoon of the bacon drippings.

egg

over medium heat.. melt a teaspoon of butter and a teaspoon
of reserved bacon drippings in a small fry pan. crack a room
temperature egg into the frying pan and cook the egg gently
on both sides until it is just medium.

hollandaise sauce

3 egg yolks 3 tablespoons lemon juice a stick of sweet cream
butter melted dash of cayenne pepper pinch of salt fresh
ground black pepper to taste

briskly whisk the yolks, lemon juice, cayenne, salt and
pepper over a double boiler until thickened taking care not
to let the eggs scramble. whisk in melted butter gradually
to form a nice smooth emulsion.

assembly

place fresh hot biscuit on a plate. break bacon slices in
half. place 3 of the half pieces of bacon on top of the
biscuit. crumble and reserve the last half piece of bacon.
place the fried egg on top of the bacon. pour hollandaise
sauce on top and sprinke reserved crumbled bacon on top.

Charles Gifford wrote:

> "Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Charles Gifford wrote:
> > >
> > > "Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> seen

> than
> > >
> > > The closest thing I know to US biscuits is the type of
> > > scones used on
> top of
> > > a stew. They are used as US dumplings are used. But if
> > > baked instead of
> used
> > > as a stew topping, they would be very close.
> > >
> > > Charlie
> >
> > LOL scones aren't used to top stews. They are called
> > dumplings.
>
> Laugh at me will you? Your understanding of things British
> aren't as complete as you would like to imply. You should
> be embarrassed for yourself and ashamed of your ignorance.
>
> Charlie

ROTFL! Scones aren't used to top stews. They just aren't.

In article <[email protected]>, Arri London <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Charles Gifford wrote:
> >
> > "Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > seen

> > than

> > top of
> > used

> > > LOL scones aren't used to top stews. They are called
> > > dumplings.
> >
> > Laugh at me will you? Your understanding of things
> > British aren't as complete as you would like to imply.
> > You should be embarrassed for yourself and ashamed of
> > your ignorance.
> >
> > Charlie
>
> ROTFL! Scones aren't used to top stews. They just aren't.

But they could be...... ;-)

But, if they ARE used to top stews, they are no longer
"scones", they are then "dumplings". <g>

Am I the only one that's ever cheated by using "canned"
buscuits as dumplings? Or even as quick pizza dough? Sheesh!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

"There are many intelligent species in the universe, and
they are all owned by cats! -- Asimov

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
&include=0&userid=katra

"Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Charles Gifford wrote:
> >
> > "Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

have
> > seen
gravy is
horrible
biscuits

texture
> > than

on
> > top of
of
> > used

> > > LOL scones aren't used to top stews. They are called
> > > dumplings.
> >
> > Laugh at me will you? Your understanding of things
> > British aren't as complete as you would like to imply.
> > You should be embarrassed for
yourself
> > and ashamed of your ignorance.
> >
> > Charlie
>
> ROTFL! Scones aren't used to top stews. They just aren't.

CASSEROLED BEEF WITH SESAME SEED SCONES

Source: Taste of UK, ukonline.co.uk/tuk

550g (1.25 lb.) stewing steak, cubed 45ml (3 tbs.) self
rising flour, seasoned with salt and pepper 30ml (2 tbs.)
oil 2 carrots, chopped 1 large onion, sliced
1/2 swede, diced 450ml (3/4 pint) beef stock 15ml (1 tbs.
tomato purée

SCONES:

175g (6 oz.) self rising flour pinch salt 30ml (2 tbs.)
sesame seeds 50g (2 oz.) margarine 75ml (3 fl. oz.) milk

Heat oven to 180C (350F, Gas 4) Have ready a casserole dish.

Coat meat in seasoned flour, Heat 15ml oil, fry vegetables
for 5 to 10 minutes then place in casserole. Heat remaining
oil and fry meat until brown on all sides. Place in
casserole with stock and tomato puree. Cover and cook for
1.5 hours, until meat is tender.

Make the scones by placing the flour, salt and sesame seeds
in a bowl. Rub in fat and add enough milk to make it a stiff
dough. Knead lightly and roll out to 1cm (1/2-inch) circle.
Cut into eight segments and glaze.

Arrange segments on top of the simmering casserole and cook
uncovered for 15 minutes at 220C (425F, Gas 7), until scones
are golden brown.

GUILTY!

On 3/31/04 2:06 AM, in article KatraMungBean-
[email protected], "Katra"