bisy question-backside glare

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Patrick Mitchel, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. I'm happy with the pattern that the light throws. I have a question regarding the transparent
    perimeter surrounding the lensand visible from the backside of the lamp. Is that a function of euro
    law that requires light to be thrown to the backside of the lamp? I found it distracting enough to
    line the perimeter with red tape- which still allows some light to come through but doesn't create
    glare on my glasses. Perhaps it has something to do with the long wb recumbent I'm riding. That puts
    the light far enough out in front of the light source to be in the line of vision . Thanks Pat

    Tags:

  2. On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 09:52:40 -0500, patrick mitchel wrote:

    > I'm happy with the pattern that the light throws. I have a question regarding the transparent
    > perimeter surrounding the lensand visible from the backside of the lamp. Is that a function of
    > euro law that requires light to be thrown to the backside of the lamp? I found it distracting
    > enough to line the perimeter with red tape- which still allows some light to come through but
    > doesn't create glare on my glasses. Perhaps it has something to do with the long wb recumbent I'm
    > riding. That puts the light far enough out in front of the light source to be in the line of
    > vision . Thanks Pat

    I read someplace that there are two versions of the BiSY lamp, one with the peripheral lighting and
    one without. The latter was intended for high mounts (e.g., close to the handlebars), where the side
    lighting would interfere with the cyclist's vision. It's obviously not a problem if you have the
    light mounted down at the fork crown or off to the side of a fork blade.