Bit of a renaissance, and a shock to the system.

Paul - xxx

Guest
Not posted for a while, but have been cycling ... but very differently to my
normal rides.

For a few weeks now I've been commuting by bicycle in and out of a large
city, Sheffield, with a round trip of about 30 miles or so. First time I've
commuted for any length of time or distance by bike into a City and have a
few, pretty obvious to many riders here, observations.

Helmets do naff all good for someone riding in traffic. Unless very
well-fitted and fastened tightly they can be uncomfortable and actually
hurt. I found they also restrict vision, restrict hearing. I much
preferred to ride without the helmet, and felt far safer without it as I
could hear what was going on as well see it ... which seems odd as the
helmet doesn't cover my ears at all, I presume it's a function of the way
the sound arrives at my ears being disrupted by the foam/shape etc.

Sight was restricted as I ride mainly head slightly down (mountain bike,
single-track stylee) and found the peak restricted vision, meaning I had to
lift me head up to see .. somehow off-road and without the helmet I merely
lift my eyes to see further ahead, but I guess 'cos of the increased road
speeds I needed to see further ahead on the road and couldn't without the
extra movements.

Most other traffic appears to hate cyclists, cycles and indeed anything that
isn't a clone of what they are ...

I have, in the past, poured a small amount of scorn at those who have posted
regarding the abuse hurled at them (among other things) from mostly car,
white van, and young drivers. I most humbly apologise, but in my defence
had never really come across it before. I couldn't believe (living in a
mostly rural area) there are that many hateful, scornful and downright
ignorant bastards about. There are ...

More positively ... I loved the hills, up and down I could overtake whole
street-fulls of traffic, at speeds they could only dream at, after all, it
_is_ rush-hour ... Heheheheh. ;)

Brakes take a hammering, until one gets used to 'seeing' the extra traffic
and flowing through, round and between the streams, then they hardly get
touched, and what a feeling ... so close to flying, completely surreal at
times. Took me back to Nottingham, though I never commuted there, just
'blasted through'. ;)

The bike worked flawlessly and I've clocked up as many hours and miles of
riding as I have in the past year (it feels like) of off-roading.

I am now determined to cycle more and more and to this end am also looking
for a more roadworthy cycle, something between a tourer and a racer, but am
hard-pressed to decide. Not interested in touring, more in getting out and
blasting through traffic, so seriously considering a fixie ... though the
hills around here might make this an impractical solution long-term. ;)

All in all, a blast. ;)

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

> Brakes take a hammering, until one gets used to 'seeing' the extra
> traffic and flowing through, round and between the streams, then they
> hardly get touched, and what a feeling ... so close to flying,
> completely surreal at times.

Brilliant isn't it, when you become part of the traffic flow except ...
faster :)

"Paul - ***" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I am now determined to cycle more and more and to this end am also looking
> for a more roadworthy cycle, something between a tourer and a racer, but
> am hard-pressed to decide. Not interested in touring, more in getting out
> and blasting through traffic, so seriously considering a fixie ... though
> the hills around here might make this an impractical solution long-term.
> ;)

If it's to include commuting, you'd be wanting an audax or winter training
bike then. (Guessing that mudguards is one of the tourer bits you're after).

Things I'd be careful to check : the frame uses the deeper drop caliper
brakes. Unlike the ribble/dolan one - lovely and cheap, but mudguards are a
bit of a pain despite the eyes etc.

(Mine doesn't have these problems - everything fits properly, including the
rack. Kinesis Racelight-T.)

If it's just for fun though, I'd be going for a proper racer, no guards,
clearance, etc.

cheers,
clive

Paul - *** wrote:

> Most other traffic appears to hate cyclists, cycles and indeed anything that
> isn't a clone of what they are ...

I think the hate is spread evernly and fairly around: during my commute
I see more cases of motorists hating their 'own kind' than cyclists
(well, there's more of them). Nearly every day I see drivers nearly
kill themselves and others with crazy overtaking manouevers (this is
country roads just before hitting the town, and it's traffic lights and
tailbacks).

> I have, in the past, poured a small amount of scorn at those who have posted
> regarding the abuse hurled at them (among other things) from mostly car,
> white van, and young drivers.

You probably started off like all of us, full of equanimity and
prepared to give and take, but after a while, the constant
thoughtlessness, stupidity and pointless aggression grinds down the
best of us, and a switch flips.

I just read some article in the paper where the journalist (Matt
Denton?) admitted to hitting a cyclist with his wing-mirror whilst
overtaking him (in London), and was taken aback by the stream of abuse
he got, and went on to rant about cyclists' lack of manners.

> .... so seriously considering a fixie ... though the
> hills around here might make this an impractical solution long-term. ;)

Go for it, just try a slightly lower ratio to start with. As my fixie
weighs about 1/3rd of my geared tourer/commuter, the hills hardly
register (750m ascent per day over 40miles)

Clive George came up with the following;:
> "Paul - ***" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> I am now determined to cycle more and more and to this end am also
>> looking for a more roadworthy cycle, something between a tourer and a
>> racer, but am hard-pressed to decide. Not interested in touring, more
>> in getting out and blasting through traffic, so seriously considering a
>> fixie ... though the hills around here might make this an impractical
>> solution long-term. ;)

> If it's to include commuting, you'd be wanting an audax or winter training
> bike then. (Guessing that mudguards is one of the tourer bits you're
> after).

Dunno, the water and crud didn't bother me at all, I guess that's 'cos I'm a
rufty-tufty off-road type anyway and pretty used to it .. ;)

> If it's just for fun though, I'd be going for a proper racer, no guards,
> clearance, etc.

That's what I'm leaning towards, the commuting is going to become less
frequent and/or sporadic. I used to have a Bianchi many years ago, which
was the dogs danglies at the time, so might try for another one ... ;)

Seriously considering taking the derailleurs off though and making it single
speed, or indeed a complete fixie .. There's a 'guy I know' who rides a
fixed cannondale racer and he says the hills aren't really a problem 'cos
there's so much less weight. I think I need a few more miles and fitness
first though .. :)

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

sothach came up with the following;:
> Paul - *** wrote:
>
>> Most other traffic appears to hate cyclists, cycles and indeed anything
>> that isn't a clone of what they are ...

> I think the hate is spread evernly and fairly around:

s'funny, when I'm in the Landrover I don't see it, or very little, directed
towards me or to other traffic, but on the bike I think the vulnerability
'opened my eyes' a little.

>> I have, in the past, poured a small amount of scorn at those who have
>> posted regarding the abuse hurled at them (among other things) from
>> mostly car, white van, and young drivers.

> You probably started off like all of us, full of equanimity and
> prepared to give and take, but after a while, the constant
> thoughtlessness, stupidity and pointless aggression grinds down the
> best of us, and a switch flips.

Heheheh

> I just read some article in the paper where the journalist (Matt
> Denton?) admitted to hitting a cyclist with his wing-mirror whilst
> overtaking him (in London), and was taken aback by the stream of abuse
> he got, and went on to rant about cyclists' lack of manners.

I can understand the cyclist now .. in the past I couldn't. Mind, I'm so
less stressed now than I was before the Landrover and commuting ... ;)

>> .... so seriously considering a fixie ... though the
>> hills around here might make this an impractical solution long-term. ;)

> Go for it, just try a slightly lower ratio to start with. As my fixie
> weighs about 1/3rd of my geared tourer/commuter, the hills hardly
> register (750m ascent per day over 40miles)

A bloke I know with a fixie also says this and is one of the many reasons
why I'm considering it. I also like to feel 'together' with the bike and
figure a fixie is a way to have even more control, once one gets accustomed
to it, over what happens as a whole.

Jeez, just read that back and I sound like I'm going all hippie and holistic
....... but I really did get an enhanced sense of my 'being' during the
riding that I haven't encountered before.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Paul - *** wrote:

> s'funny, when I'm in the Landrover I don't see it

The times I've travelled in a Landrover, I don't remember seeing or
hearing much that went on outside of the vehicle... Mindyou, it was
painted green, brown and black, and belonged to the Queen (I think).

> A bloke I know with a fixie also says this and is one of the many reasons
> why I'm considering it. I also like to feel 'together' with the bike and
> figure a fixie is a way to have even more control, once one gets accustomed
> to it, over what happens as a whole.

Big plusses for me are improved ability to spin like crazy on the
roadie, and to mash up hills off-road on the mtb (can I call it the
'mountie'?).

Also, I think the training effect is better with the fixie: I maintain
an almost flat HR curve through the commute, that I don't manage with
gears (and sometimes max HR is downhill, that was a new one for me).

Get down to your nearest specialized stockist, and say: "Langster!"

> Jeez, just read that back and I sound like I'm going all hippie and holistic
> ...... but I really did get an enhanced sense of my 'being' during the
> riding that I haven't encountered before.

Hey man, like do it for the children...