Bit of bad news re: Spademan:

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Shaun Rimmer, May 16, 2003.

  1. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Right folkses - our own Spademan (Steve E.) and myself were arranging to hook up for a short ride
    Saturday, and so had been E-mailing back and forth this week. I didn't hear from him yesterday at
    all, and there was still no reply today, so, I called his office number.....

    'Dave' (?) answered, and said he was off sick, and when I asked him what with, I was told he'd
    broken his foot in a fall from the bike (I presume the night before last, and that he was at
    the jumps).

    I called his home number expecting to find a very pissed off and sore Steve on the other end of the
    phone, but instead found myself talking with his wife. She informed me he was _still_ in hospital,
    and that last she heard, he was undergoing surgery. They'd told her to phone back in an hour to see
    if the surgery had been successful/how successful.

    This doesn't sound too good to me, but I don't have any more details yet - she sounded as if she may
    have been quite upset, so I didn't question her as to what exactly had happened/what state his foot
    appeared to be in, just asked if she'd pass on my best, and left it there for now.

    I'll post more as I find it out - I might wait until Mon/Tues or even a bit later before I call his
    home again, give then time to sort themselves out a bit.

    Here's hoping he'll be alright, and soon able to ride again.

    Shaun aRe - Heal up soon Diggerboy.

    Tags:

  2. Shaun R says:

    <snip bad news>

    >Here's hoping he'll be alright, and soon able to ride again.

    No shit! If ya talk to him, give him my best and tell him to "heel" quickly - and fully.

    Steve "the other one"

  3. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Shaun R says:
    >
    > <snip bad news>
    >
    > >Here's hoping he'll be alright, and soon able to ride again.
    >
    > No shit!

    You are constipated?!?

    > If ya talk to him, give him my best and tell him to "heel" quickly - and fully.
    >
    > Steve "the other one"

    Will do of course Steve - cheers.

    Shaun aRe

  4. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  5. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    >
    > > 'Dave' (?) answered, and said he was off sick, and when I asked him what with, I was told he'd
    > > broken his foot in a fall from the bike (I presume
    the
    > > night before last, and that he was at the jumps).
    >
    > Wouldn't have happened if he'd been using clipless...

    I seem to remember him saying something like:

    "That Harris has got me thinking now - I might put clipless on the bike next time I go to the jumps,
    see how it feels..."..

    It's prolly all your fault ya bastard.

    Shaun aRe

  6. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    Oh arse.

    Get well soon, you spade wielding bufoon.

    Andy Chequer

  7. On Fri, 16 May 2003 12:13:56 +0100, Shaun Rimmer did issue forth:

    > Here's hoping he'll be alright, and soon able to ride again.

    Arse. Pass on my regards.

    --
    Huw Pritchard

  8. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    > Right folkses - our own Spademan (Steve E.) and myself were arranging to hook up for a short ride
    > Saturday, and so had been E-mailing back and
    forth
    > this week. I didn't hear from him yesterday at all, and there was still no reply today, so, I
    > called his office number.....
    >
    > 'Dave' (?) answered, and said he was off sick, and when I asked him what with, I was told he'd
    > broken his foot in a fall from the bike (I presume
    the
    > night before last, and that he was at the jumps).
    >
    > I called his home number expecting to find a very pissed off and sore
    Steve
    > on the other end of the phone, but instead found myself talking with his wife. She informed me he
    > was _still_ in hospital, and that last she heard, he was undergoing surgery. They'd told her to
    > phone back in an hour to see if the surgery had been successful/how successful.
    >
    > This doesn't sound too good to me, but I don't have any more details yet - she sounded as if she
    > may have been quite upset, so I didn't question her
    as
    > to what exactly had happened/what state his foot appeared to be in, just asked if she'd pass on my
    > best, and left it there for now.
    >

    > I'll post more as I find it out - I might wait until Mon/Tues or even a
    bit
    > later before I call his home again, give then time to sort themselves out
    > bit.
    >

    > Here's hoping he'll be alright, and soon able to ride again.
    >

    > Shaun aRe - Heal up soon Diggerboy.

    Damn shame. Maybe he shoulda dug a bit more!

    Pass my best along, and tell him that his doc should be able to set clipless cleats into the cast ;)

    Jon Bond

  9. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Thnaks folks - I'll pass on your wishes an' ting when I speak to him next.

    Lates news is, he called me Saturday (damn silly sod was apologising for not letting me know he was
    in hospital and that our ride was off! He'd also been trying to sort me out with someone else to
    ride with FFS! - top lad.)

    He said he'd been at the jumps on his BMX Weds. evening, bailed off one that hadn't gone right. He
    said when he landed (sans BMX), he didn't land hard, but he landed unluckily and broke his foot -
    bone was poking up, but hadn't broken the skin.

    He got to the A&E dept. of the hospital, and was there for 6 hours without food before they admitted
    him. They operated on Friday morning (he still hadn't eaten) to re-set it, wire it together and put
    it in a cast - it went well.

    The healing estimate is 4 weeks, but he says he'll not be straight back on the bike.

    He'll be back in work in a couple of weeks and should be posting here again by then.

    Cheers folks,

    Shaun aRe

  10. Westie

    Westie Guest

    > Thnaks folks - I'll pass on your wishes an' ting when I speak to him next.
    >
    > Lates news is, he called me Saturday (damn silly sod was apologising for
    not
    > letting me know he was in hospital and that our ride was off! He'd also
    been
    > trying to sort me out with someone else to ride with FFS! - top lad.)
    >
    > He said he'd been at the jumps on his BMX Weds. evening, bailed off one
    that
    > hadn't gone right. He said when he landed (sans BMX), he didn't land hard, but he landed unluckily
    > and broke his foot - bone was poking up, but
    hadn't
    > broken the skin.
    >
    > He got to the A&E dept. of the hospital, and was there for 6 hours without food before they
    > admitted him. They operated on Friday morning (he still hadn't eaten) to re-set it, wire it
    > together and put it in a cast - it
    went
    > well.
    >
    > The healing estimate is 4 weeks, but he says he'll not be straight back on the bike.
    >
    > He'll be back in work in a couple of weeks and should be posting here
    again
    > by then.
    >
    > Cheers folks,
    >
    > Shaun aRe

    It's good in that things sound more promising than the worrisome first report. Best wishes for that
    speedy 4 week recovery.
    --
    Westie

  11. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Shaun R says:
    >
    > >Thnaks folks - I'll pass on your wishes an' ting when I speak to him
    next.

    > Thankee - give 'im hell....

    I already passed on your's and Bomba's wishes Saturday (only folks I'd heard from by then). I also
    told him about Bomba's clipless comments, which drew some interesting comments........heheh......

    > >The healing estimate is 4 weeks, but he says he'll not be straight back
    on
    > >the bike.
    >
    > I hope they let him eat before that's up........

    So do I - there ain't much to the guy as it is! ',;~}~

    > Good to hear he is getting there, and things are not terminal wrt riding.

    Aye, you and me both geezer.

    Shaun aRe

  12. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Westie <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > Thnaks folks - I'll pass on your wishes an' ting when I speak to him
    next.

    > > Lates news is, he called me Saturday (damn silly sod was apologising for
    > not
    > > letting me know he was in hospital and that our ride was off! He'd also
    > been
    > > trying to sort me out with someone else to ride with FFS! - top lad.)
    > >
    > > He said he'd been at the jumps on his BMX Weds. evening, bailed off one
    > that
    > > hadn't gone right. He said when he landed (sans BMX), he didn't land
    hard,
    > > but he landed unluckily and broke his foot - bone was poking up, but
    > hadn't
    > > broken the skin.
    > >
    > > He got to the A&E dept. of the hospital, and was there for 6 hours
    without
    > > food before they admitted him. They operated on Friday morning (he still hadn't eaten) to re-set
    > > it, wire it together and put it in a cast - it
    > went
    > > well.
    > >
    > > The healing estimate is 4 weeks, but he says he'll not be straight back
    on
    > > the bike.
    > >
    > > He'll be back in work in a couple of weeks and should be posting here
    > again
    > > by then.
    > >
    > > Cheers folks,
    > >
    > > Shaun aRe
    > >

    > It's good in that things sound more promising than the worrisome first report.

    Aye, well - a guy worries, ya'know?

    > Best wishes for that speedy 4 week recovery.

    I'll pass it on - cheers!

    Shaun aRe

  13. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > Right folkses - our own Spademan (Steve E.) and myself were arranging to hook up for a short ride
    > Saturday, and so had been E-mailing back and forth this week. I didn't hear from him yesterday at
    > all, and there was still no reply today, so, I called his office number.....
    >
    > 'Dave' (?) answered, and said he was off sick, and when I asked him what with, I was told he'd
    > broken his foot in a fall from the bike (I presume the night before last, and that he was at
    > the jumps).
    >
    > I called his home number expecting to find a very pissed off and sore Steve on the other end of
    > the phone, but instead found myself talking with his wife. She informed me he was _still_ in
    > hospital, and that last she heard, he was undergoing surgery. They'd told her to phone back in an
    > hour to see if the surgery had been successful/how successful.
    >
    > This doesn't sound too good to me, but I don't have any more details yet - she sounded as if she
    > may have been quite upset, so I didn't question her as to what exactly had happened/what state his
    > foot appeared to be in, just asked if she'd pass on my best, and left it there for now.
    >

    > I'll post more as I find it out - I might wait until Mon/Tues or even a bit later before I call
    > his home again, give then time to sort themselves out a bit.
    >

    > Here's hoping he'll be alright, and soon able to ride again.
    >

    > Shaun aRe - Heal up soon Diggerboy.

    Well, good thing it wasn't too serious, although I'm sure it hurt like a SOB. Tell Spademan God's
    speed for me.

    I think he just wanted a free enema from a professional.
    --
    Slacker

  14. "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Thnaks folks - I'll pass on your wishes an' ting when I speak to him next.
    >
    > Lates news is, he called me Saturday (damn silly sod was apologising for
    not
    > letting me know he was in hospital and that our ride was off! He'd also
    been
    > trying to sort me out with someone else to ride with FFS! - top lad.)
    >
    > He said he'd been at the jumps on his BMX Weds. evening, bailed off one
    that
    > hadn't gone right. He said when he landed (sans BMX), he didn't land hard, but he landed unluckily
    > and broke his foot - bone was poking up, but
    hadn't
    > broken the skin.
    >
    > He got to the A&E dept. of the hospital, and was there for 6 hours without food before they
    > admitted him. They operated on Friday morning (he still hadn't eaten) to re-set it, wire it
    > together and put it in a cast - it
    went
    > well.

    Round here we find that avoiding the hospital food actually increases your chances of survival.

  15. Kathleen

    Kathleen Guest

    James Messick wrote:

    >>Thnaks folks - I'll pass on your wishes an' ting when I speak to him next.
    >>
    >>Lates news is, he called me Saturday (damn silly sod was apologising for
    >
    > not
    >
    >>letting me know he was in hospital and that our ride was off! He'd also
    >
    > been
    >
    >>trying to sort me out with someone else to ride with FFS! - top lad.)
    >>
    >>He said he'd been at the jumps on his BMX Weds. evening, bailed off one
    >
    > that
    >
    >>hadn't gone right. He said when he landed (sans BMX), he didn't land hard, but he landed unluckily
    >>and broke his foot - bone was poking up, but
    >
    > hadn't
    >
    >>broken the skin.
    >>
    >>He got to the A&E dept. of the hospital, and was there for 6 hours without food before they
    >>admitted him. They operated on Friday morning (he still hadn't eaten) to re-set it, wire it
    >>together and put it in a cast - it
    >
    > went
    >
    >>well.
    >

    > Round here we find that avoiding the hospital food actually increases your chances of survival.

    Even so, it sucks to be forced to fast. Like it's not bad enough to be hurt (or sick),
    worried because nobody really seems to know what's going on or when it's supposed to happen,
    you have to be hungry, too. I understand the logic - if you go under anesthesia with a full
    stomach you could wind up puking. There's no cough reflex when you're under, nothing to keep
    you from inhaling it. You wouldn't think you'd notice something as minor as missing a meal
    or four with being busted up to distract you, but you do. Hunger, along with sleep
    deprivation just add to the overall misery quota.

    Kathleen

  16. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    James Messick <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > Thnaks folks - I'll pass on your wishes an' ting when I speak to him
    next.

    > > Lates news is, he called me Saturday (damn silly sod was apologising for
    > not
    > > letting me know he was in hospital and that our ride was off! He'd also
    > been
    > > trying to sort me out with someone else to ride with FFS! - top lad.)
    > >
    > > He said he'd been at the jumps on his BMX Weds. evening, bailed off one
    > that
    > > hadn't gone right. He said when he landed (sans BMX), he didn't land
    hard,
    > > but he landed unluckily and broke his foot - bone was poking up, but
    > hadn't
    > > broken the skin.
    > >
    > > He got to the A&E dept. of the hospital, and was there for 6 hours
    without
    > > food before they admitted him. They operated on Friday morning (he still hadn't eaten) to re-set
    > > it, wire it together and put it in a cast - it
    > went
    > > well.
    >
    > Round here we find that avoiding the hospital food actually increases your chances of survival.

    You must all be soft 'round there' then - the stuff may often be less than desirable, but it's
    certainly not harmful.

    Shaun aRe - 'Cast-iron gut'.

  17. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > James Messick wrote:

    > > Round here we find that avoiding the hospital food actually increases
    your
    > > chances of survival.
    >
    > Even so, it sucks to be forced to fast. Like it's not bad enough to be hurt (or sick), worried
    > because nobody really seems to know what's going on or when it's supposed to happen, you have to
    > be hungry, too. I understand the logic - if you go under anesthesia with a full stomach you
    > could wind up puking. There's no cough reflex when you're under, nothing to keep you from
    > inhaling it. You wouldn't think you'd notice something as minor as missing a meal or four with
    > being busted up to distract you, but you do. Hunger, along with sleep deprivation just add to
    > the overall misery quota.
    >
    > Kathleen

    Bloody right it does!

    Shaun aRe - 4 days without food when I smashed my leg.

  18. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Slacker <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    <snippage performed>

    > > Shaun aRe - Heal up soon Diggerboy.
    >

    > Well, good thing it wasn't too serious, although I'm sure it hurt like a
    SOB.

    Indeed.

    > Tell Spademan God's speed for me.

    Will do - cheers Slacker.

    > I think he just wanted a free enema from a professional.
    > --
    > Slacker

    Yeah - these BMXr's have some funny desires........

    Shaun aRe