bitch, bitch, bitch...

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by gravelmuncher, Nov 4, 2003.

  1. gravelmuncher

    gravelmuncher New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2003
    I hate it when it's windy whilst I'm training, and even more so when I just want to ride. I hate it when it rains whilst I'm training, and even more so when I just want to ride. I hate it when it's really cold whilst I'm training, and even more so when I just want to ride. I hate it when it's really hot whilst I'm training, and even more so when I just want to ride.

    On Sunday I rode the Sydney to the Gong ride, and on one of the climbs I came across a man riding with a trailer attatched to his bike. In this trailer was a girl who looked liked she wished that she could ride with him...but could not. I felt humbled by the sight of the man pulling the trailer - and ashamed of myself at the sight of the girl in the trailer. I bitch too much about many petty things - whilst someone else can only dream about some of the things that I most ignorantly take for granted.

    To all of the whinging, able bodied cyclists like myself...
    ...enjoy every moment of it.

    ~J~

    Tags:

  2. gravelmuncher <[email protected]> wrote:
    : I hate it when it's windy whilst I'm training, and even more so when I just want to ride. I hate
    : it when it rains whilst I'm training, and even more so when I just want to ride. I hate it when
    : it's really cold whilst I'm training, and even more so when I just want to ride. I hate it when
    : it's really hot whilst I'm training, and even more so when I just want to ride.

    Hmmm, just be grateful to be able to ride in any conditions, in fact if you race, make yourself love
    adverse conditions because if you can, you will beat anyone who is a whiner/whinger.

    Me, even though I'm not fond of cold or wet riding I still acknowledge every turn of the cranks.
    Cycling is heaven!

    Cheerz, Lynzz

  3. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    > Me, even though I'm not fond of cold or wet riding I still acknowledge every turn of the cranks.
    > Cycling is heaven!

    I prefer atrocious conditions to just mildly annoying. You can always ride an exercise bike in the
    loungeroom. No wind.

  4. amirm

    amirm New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2003
    Basically yup, agree pretty much with every one's comments so far. But bitching is what that makes it all sweet. :)

    Just imagine after your ride in adverse conditions, you arrive at the destination, and someone asks how was it. Which of the following replies does taste sweeter?

    reply 1: Ah, the weather was really unfriendly, but I made it through. Can't complain, it's winter after all. Well, I made a concious decision to ride because of my belief and I accept whatever that comes with it.

    reply 2: Oh it was a bitch, soaking in cold rain and the freezing cold wind sweeping me from side to side. I could barely see what was ahead. It was so damn hard. Magpies were swooping all over me and bugs were getting in basically in every exposed orifice. But wait, bonehead drivers were all trying to run me over and inconsiderate pedestrians were a pain in the bum. But I was the best and I knew it. I beat them all and here I am.

    :) :) :)

  5. Arpit

    Arpit Guest

    I love it when its cold, raining, windy not so good, hate the heat. I love it when its dark too....
    it can be dark and hot and i dont care :D

    On 4 Nov 2003 22:17:50 +1050, gravelmuncher <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I hate it when it's windy whilst I'm training, and even more so when I just want to ride. I hate it
    >when it rains whilst I'm training, and even more so when I just want to ride. I hate it when it's
    >really cold whilst I'm training, and even more so when I just want to ride. I hate it when it's
    >really hot whilst I'm training, and even more so when I just want to ride.
    >
    > On Sunday I rode the Sydney to the Gong ride, and on one of the climbs I came across a man riding
    > with a trailer attatched to his bike. In this trailer was a girl who looked liked she wished that
    > she could ride with him...but could not. I felt humbled by the sight of the man pulling the
    > trailer - and ashamed of myself at the sight of the girl in the trailer. I bitch too much about
    > many petty things - whilst someone else can only dream about some of the things that I most
    > ignorantly take for granted.
    >
    > To all of the whinging, able bodied cyclists like myself... ...enjoy every moment of it.
    >
    >~J~

  6. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Arpit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I love it when its cold, raining, windy not so good, hate the heat. I love it when its dark
    > too.... it can be dark and hot and i dont care

    I have no, um.. what are they called? brains, yeah, them.. but: Hot is great! More sweat the better!
    Wind is a pain but Mildura boyz are used to heat and wind. Cold is okay.. I do suffer but it's
    usually my own stupid choice, i.e. "nah, couldn't possibly need warmers, temp is above zero!". One
    of my mates suggested that this problem is a result of growing up in a hot climate. He reasons that
    I was/am so used to just going out and the temp being warm that I forget I am in Melbourne and it
    actually gets really cold! I really DO NOT LIKE rain... the only exception to this rule is if it is
    in the middle of summer and I'm just cruuuzin... preferably in a park, preferably intoxicated ;-)
    Dark is fine - It's almost like a protective cocoon. With cars they don't seem to see you as a
    target unlike in daylight - maybe the flashing lights scare them away? The worst condition of all
    though is sitting on your butt injured, etc. wondering when you will ride next!!

    hippy

  7. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    no like heat, heat bad, we from deep south, cold there.
    woke up in hospital on a drip courtesy of heat several years back. one moment pedalling along hoddle in 40C+, next moment looking at white curtains & lights, wondering where the hell my bike & clothes had disappeared to. these days, catch PT in hot weather.:mad:

  8. Gags

    Gags Guest

    "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Arpit" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    >...... He reasons that I was/am so used to just going out and the temp being warm that I forget I
    >am in Melbourne and it actually gets really cold!

    Cold? In Melbourne? I moved to Melbourne at the start of this year and I have only had the lid on my
    water bottle freeze over once on the way to work (I usually leave home at about 6am for my 23km
    Yarra Trail commute). I spent the previous 4 years in Canberra and I lost count of the amount of
    times the water bottle froze there. I think the coldest morning was minus nine degrees......had a
    shocking "ice cream headache" for the first 10 minutes or so (head/ear warmers are for wimps).

    The worst part for me in Canberra though was the 6 weeks that my left leg was in plaster from just
    below the knee. I had one of the gucci fibreglass casts with a Gore-tex liner that was fully
    waterproof and so I could swim, shower, etc. I replaced the left SPD pedal on my mountain bike with
    a flat pedal, put a big sock over the bottom of the cast to keep my toes warm and then rode to work
    as per usual. Toes used to be bloody numb by the time I got to work.

    Used to get some funny looks (especially when overtaking roadies) and I once got overtaken by a dude
    with only one leg (in my defence, he was wearing Aussie knicks and jersey).

    I am also with the guys/girls who love riding in the rain (heavier the better). Once you get over
    the first minute or so you are wet through and so it doesn't matter anymore. One storm that I rode
    in on the way home in Canberra was huge....lightning, thunder, strong winds, rain bucketing down,
    just starting to get dark.....I swear that I was the only cyclist out and I was pretty well laughing
    like a maniac for most of the way home.

    Gags

  9. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    news:[email protected]...
    &
    > lights, wondering where the hell my bike & clothes had disappeared to. these days, catch PT in hot
    > weather.:mad:

    Damn.. not nice!

    The worst I've been was in Mildura. I think it was low 40degs and I decided to hammer into town to
    return some videos. It was only 5k but when I got to the video store I got off the bike and nearly
    fell over. I walked into the store and my vision went from normal colours to sort of whiting out -
    like a fade to white instead of black. I actually had to sit down in the store until I regained my
    vision and balance. Not fun, but interesting. I think I took it a little easier riding home ;-)

    hippy

  10. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Gags" <[email protected]_ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The worst part for me in Canberra though was the 6 weeks that my left
    leg
    > was in plaster from just below the knee. I had one of the gucci
    fibreglass
    > casts with a Gore-tex liner that was fully waterproof and so I could
    swim,
    > shower, etc. I replaced the left SPD pedal on my mountain bike with a
    flat
    > pedal, put a big sock over the bottom of the cast to keep my toes warm
    and
    > then rode to work as per usual. Toes used to be bloody numb by the
    time I
    > got to work.

    There's dedication for ya! :) It didn't slow healing or anything riding with a busted leg? Actually
    unless you shock the area, it's probably better for it to get some blood flowing I guess...

    > I swear that I was the only cyclist out and I was pretty well laughing like a maniac for most of
    > the way home.

    That's the coolest.. when you are sure there ain't another rider out! I still hate the grinding
    noise my rims make when braking in the wet.

    hippy

  11. Gags

    Gags Guest

    > "Gags" <[email protected]_ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > The worst part for me in Canberra though was the 6 weeks that my left
    > leg
    > > was in plaster from just below the knee. I had one of the gucci
    > fibreglass
    > > casts with a Gore-tex liner that was fully waterproof and so I could
    > swim,
    > > shower, etc. I replaced the left SPD pedal on my mountain bike with a
    > flat
    > > pedal, put a big sock over the bottom of the cast to keep my toes warm
    > and
    > > then rode to work as per usual. Toes used to be bloody numb by the
    > time I
    > > got to work.
    >
    > There's dedication for ya! :) It didn't slow healing or anything riding with a busted leg?
    > Actually unless you shock the area, it's probably better for it to get some blood flowing I
    > guess...

    The doctor advised that cycling would be OK as the cast kept my foot at a set 90 degree angle and as
    it was a walking cast it was strong enough to handle cycling (I threw away the daggy "ugg boot
    looking" shoe that they provided and managed to fit a reef sandal over it.....it was right on the
    end of the velcro).

    I kept the cycling up to try to keep fit for my return to footy (injury was in first quarter of
    first game of the season) and when the doc took off the cast he said it was the best looking leg
    he had seen come out of a cast. It was the first time he had used the Gore-Tex liner allowing me
    to shower and swim and because I was able to constantly have water flowing through, I didn't get
    any itching and my leg wasn't manky when it came out. I had some minor muscle atrophy on my calf
    but I was back to playing footy three weeks after the cast came off. The doc reckoned that he
    would now use the gore-tex liners more often and recommend them to future patients (it costs about
    $50 a roll though).

    Moral of the story.....if you ever need a cast, go for the waterproof version.

    Gags

  12. aeon16

    aeon16 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2003
    Add to this that terrible conditions vary your training and can make you better. The cyclist that has trained in all conditions always has the advantage over the cyclist who's only trained in fine weather.