Bizarro sports drink craving...

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> See, my tip would've been "make sure you practice the run and jump bit,
> not just the feet in bit, or you'll get really confused on race day."
> It's not about time saving, it's about looking cool. Like carbon bidon
> cages. Duh!

hehe tri.. looking good.. of course!
But take it from someone who's racked his nuts on the top tube of enough
bikes - you want to have this move DOWN!
Ow! Hurts just thinking about it.

>> Why did this sport drink thread start AFTER my move to using sport
>> drinks? Typical! :p

> I'm sure there's never been a thread on sports drinks before, hippy. :p
> Anyway, what inspired the move? Did Carl finally get through to you?

Yeah, yeah that's it :p Actually I think it was some scaremongering from
Tamyka "18 bidons just ain't enough" Bell :p

hippy
"Yay for Staminade!"

On 26 Apr 2005 18:01:24 -0700, "Absent Husband"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Decided to do my "sports drink trial" (pre-Mooloolaba tri) early on
>Sunday morning during my solo training ride (50km around the BrisVegan
>southside)...
>
>Back in my Previous Life, lemon SportsPlus was my poison of choice, but
>it seems to have disappeared entirely since then. So I opted for lemon
>Powerade, on the highly scientific basis that it was on special at the
>local supermarket.
>
>I always stick to water only during all my rides. Mainly because I am
>still in a 'weight loss' phase (gotta get rid of the lard @rse!!). And
>I am sticking to "old school" weight loss principles:
>1. eat less, move more;
>2. less kilojoules in, more kilojoules out.
>Anyway, I digress......

Tam already picked you up on this, but I'd like to add my voice to
it too. You need carbs. All that low-carb stuff is a load of
********. Keeping your blood sugar levels up
will help you ride (or whever else you do) longer and thus
burn more fat. Keeping your electrolytes up is also
very important, as Tam also mentioned. I use Staminade
powder as it's the only one of the readily available
sports drinks that has magnesium in it (which may help reduce
cramping) and it used to be mostly glucose. It's now got that
cheapo sugar in it instead :(

It's also worth considering adding a small amount of protein to your
drinks, see this :

http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=6938

and also this :

http://www.aboc.com.au/perl/tips.pl?p=drinking

Remember that you're trying to keep your blood sugar levels
up, and be more likely to be able train/race/walk again tomorrow!

A 50km ride is around 2 hours, which is more than enough time to
run you out of sugar.

"Next thing I'm looking up at a hospital ceiling with nurses calling my

name. The first thought that went through my head was: "Have I been in

an accident? I don't feel hurt..." before the realization of where I
was came back... Of course I was with a bunch of workmates at the time

who were all waiting for me to finish up, and waiting... Strangely the

Red Cross wouldn't let me ride and sent me home in a taxi. "

<snip>

That's hilarious - I remember doing exactly the same thing!!!

I had NO idea where I was. I remember wondering why people were calling
my name. Then realising I was lying down. Then saw the fluoro lights on
the ceiling. "They're not like the ones at work - so I can't be
there... So where the hell am I?" So I'm not outside. And who are these
people, they look like nurses? Hang on - this rings a bell....

VERY strange feeling when its happening - always chuckle a bit when I
think about it.

And if all those weird sci-fi films are true, and I'm ever accidently
teleported to another location (or dimension!) mysteriously, then I'm
much more confident that I could work out exactly where I am!!!

Cheers,
Absent Husband

Thanks Carl (and Tam!),

Although Carl - I do remember you sledging others about using 'added
protein' from sources other than a 'healthy diet' - "expensive wee" I
think was your terminology??

First article was good. But then, any article that says "This is what
the cutting edge research tells us, and I have just developed a product
using this that you can buy now!" has to be treated with some healthy
scepticism (or at least a critical eye....)

I guess if you use a 'normal' sports drink (ie. most of them), and
supplement with a protein food source for looong rides, then you'd be
covered. Thinking about buying some Staminade powder and making it up
at 'half-strength' - will have to trial and see....

Oh - and about your magnesium comment... Ducked in to the local
pharmacy a while ago to grab some K-Mag tablets (recommended I think by
someone on a.b??) for some cramps I was getting on the bike on looong
rides. Before I could pay for them, I got cornered by the consulting
naturopath who quizzed me on why I was using them, what I drink on my
rides, etc, etc. She told me that if I was drinking xxxxxx-ade sports
drink, then I would be getting enough 'salts/potassium', and that most
of the current research was pointing straight at magnesium as the best
for prevention/treatment of cramps.

Bottom line - she convinced me to go for a straight magnesium
supplement (I bought "Bio-mag" - Blackmores, I think....?). I only use
one on rides longer than 2 hours/50km. Had good results, but then that
outcome could be confounded by better fitness, better hydration (which
I've been working on), etc, etc.

Not quite sure where I was heading with all that - but thought I'd toss
it in as a thought...

Cheers,
Absent Husband

Absent Husband wrote:

> Thanks Carl (and Tam!),

<snip>
> I guess if you use a 'normal' sports drink (ie. most of them), and
> supplement with a protein food source for looong rides, then you'd be
> covered. Thinking about buying some Staminade powder and making it up
> at 'half-strength' - will have to trial and see....

The protein supplement is something I do for rides over 2 hours. Mostly,
its because otherwise I get too damn hungry. Then I spend ages trying to
figure out why my bike is making weird noises, before finding out it's
my belly. :)

> Oh - and about your magnesium comment... Ducked in to the local
> pharmacy a while ago to grab some K-Mag tablets (recommended I think by
> someone on a.b??) for some cramps I was getting on the bike on looong
> rides. Before I could pay for them, I got cornered by the consulting
> naturopath who quizzed me on why I was using them, what I drink on my
> rides, etc, etc. She told me that if I was drinking xxxxxx-ade sports
> drink, then I would be getting enough 'salts/potassium', and that most
> of the current research was pointing straight at magnesium as the best
> for prevention/treatment of cramps.

Eat more bananas! Bananas are great for preventing cramping. If you need
an emergency hit on the bike, I'd recommend Enervit Tablets. (Don't tell
GU I said that, or my coach!).

> Bottom line - she convinced me to go for a straight magnesium
> supplement (I bought "Bio-mag" - Blackmores, I think....?). I only use
> one on rides longer than 2 hours/50km. Had good results, but then that
> outcome could be confounded by better fitness, better hydration (which
> I've been working on), etc, etc.

Has anyone else noticed how old a lot of nutritionists look? Does anyone
else find that scary?

> Not quite sure where I was heading with all that - but thought I'd toss
> it in as a thought...

*catch*

Tam

On 27 Apr 2005 19:02:00 -0700, "Absent Husband"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Thanks Carl (and Tam!),
>
>Although Carl - I do remember you sledging others about using 'added
>protein' from sources other than a 'healthy diet' - "expensive wee" I
>think was your terminology??

Not quite, I did mention about some (very small) amounts of
protein being useful. I'm not talking about the large amounts
that bodybuilders and others fooled into spending bulk on
expensive whey isolates turn into urine :)

>First article was good. But then, any article that says "This is what
>the cutting edge research tells us, and I have just developed a product
>using this that you can buy now!" has to be treated with some healthy
>scepticism (or at least a critical eye....)

Of course. That's a convenient reference, not a scientific paper.
Ed Bourke is dead now, but both he and Chris Carmichael
recomment a small amount of protein (CC says 7:1 EB says 4:1)
in their books on the subject. To balance the argument, CC did the
7:1 stuff for Powerbar, but I believe that EB did 4:1 out of
experimentation, then decided to try and sell it.

If you have time/inclination, have a read through these two books :

Optimal Muscle Performance and Recovery, Ed Bourke
Chris Carmichael's Food for Fitness, Chris Carmichael

I buy a 750g tub of whey isolate that lasts me about 6 months when
mixed in with staminade, it's not breaking the bank.

>I guess if you use a 'normal' sports drink (ie. most of them), and
>supplement with a protein food source for looong rides, then you'd be
>covered. Thinking about buying some Staminade powder and making it up
>at 'half-strength' - will have to trial and see....

Quite possibly - I think the recommendation is some of the specific
BCAAs, which are found in whey protein. Ed's book in particular
goes into some detail re the testing and studies. See if your library
has it, or get it from amazon. See :

http://www.aboc.com.au/perl/open.pl?p=recommended_reading

>Oh - and about your magnesium comment... Ducked in to the local
>pharmacy a while ago to grab some K-Mag tablets (recommended I think by
>someone on a.b??) for some cramps I was getting on the bike on looong
>rides. Before I could pay for them, I got cornered by the consulting
>naturopath who quizzed me on why I was using them, what I drink on my
>rides, etc, etc. She told me that if I was drinking xxxxxx-ade sports
>drink, then I would be getting enough 'salts/potassium', and that most
>of the current research was pointing straight at magnesium as the best
>for prevention/treatment of cramps.
>
>Bottom line - she convinced me to go for a straight magnesium
>supplement (I bought "Bio-mag" - Blackmores, I think....?). I only use
>one on rides longer than 2 hours/50km. Had good results, but then that
>outcome could be confounded by better fitness, better hydration (which
>I've been working on), etc, etc.

yep, with such things, in particular cramps, no-one really knows what
causes them or how to treat them, there's a lot of evidence to
suggest that they're caused by electrolye losses, but that
varies with the individual, and AFAIK, there's no one cure to
cramping. I use staminade because it's green, was glucose, not
sucrose, is Australian[*], tastes good (to me) and has magnesium
as well as sodium & potassium and is cheap.

[*] Cadbury-schweppes distributes gatorade, powerade is cocacola,
and they're both evil!

Absent Husband wrote:
> Oh - and about your magnesium comment... Ducked in to the local
> pharmacy a while ago to grab some K-Mag tablets (recommended I think by
> someone on a.b??) for some cramps I was getting on the bike on looong
> rides. Before I could pay for them, I got cornered by the consulting
> naturopath who quizzed me on why I was using them, what I drink on my
> rides, etc, etc. She told me that if I was drinking xxxxxx-ade sports
> drink, then I would be getting enough 'salts/potassium', and that most
> of the current research was pointing straight at magnesium as the best
> for prevention/treatment of cramps.
>
> Bottom line - she convinced me to go for a straight magnesium
> supplement (I bought "Bio-mag" - Blackmores, I think....?). I only use
> one on rides longer than 2 hours/50km. Had good results, but then that
> outcome could be confounded by better fitness, better hydration (which
> I've been working on), etc, etc.
>
> Not quite sure where I was heading with all that - but thought I'd toss
> it in as a thought...

I have tried Mag supps before when I noticed some cramping (climbing
hills of all things!!). I have to say that it either worked or acted as
a fantastic placebo because I kicked **** the next time I rode the same
hills. No hint of cramping and I was pushing one or two gears higher
than normal.
The thing with Mag is that it's often low in people with poor diet (junk
food). I eat a classic example of a poor diet, so that initial mag
supplementation may have had a greater effect on me than someone who
eats healthier.
I was put onto the mag supps after reading a letter on cyclingnews about
a junior rider who felt strong in the legs but who's lungs felt
constricted. The cycnews doc(?) suggested mag supps. I was having the
same issue so I tried them.

Hey I even found the article for you:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=2004/letters02-16#Breathing

I stopped taking them ages ago and haven't noticed any difference but
that could be because I eat a bit healthier now or it could just prove
the placebo effect?

Do some research and make your own mind up..

hippy

Carl Brewer wrote:
> [...]

>>for prevention/treatment of cramps.
>>
>>Bottom line - she convinced me to go for a straight magnesium
>>supplement (I bought "Bio-mag" - Blackmores, I think....?). I only use
>>one on rides longer than 2 hours/50km. Had good results, but then that
>>outcome could be confounded by better fitness, better hydration (which
>>I've been working on), etc, etc.

> yep, with such things, in particular cramps, no-one really knows what
> causes them or how to treat them, there's a lot of evidence to
> suggest that they're caused by electrolye losses, but that
> varies with the individual, and AFAIK, there's no one cure to
> cramping. I use staminade because it's green, was glucose, not
> sucrose, is Australian[*], tastes good (to me) and has magnesium
> as well as sodium & potassium and is cheap.
>

> [*] Cadbury-schweppes distributes gatorade, powerade is cocacola,

Endura could be suitable for your needs (ie magnesium content, carbs
sodium etc), AFAIK it is an Australian product, and definately easy to
come by (even some big Pharmacy chains carry it), they also do a
carb/protein drink called Optimiser but this is a 'milky vanilla/malt'
flavour which for me is ok as a recovery drink (cold) but not so nice
when it is sun-baked and luke warm on the bike.

AH: all the best for Sunday, I was going to do Mooloolabah, but have
turned my fullest attention to Busselton in November.

JH

On 2005-04-28, Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> wrote:
> Eat more bananas! Bananas are great for preventing cramping.

You do know that bananas are probably the single most radioactive food
you can buy in a shop, don't you?

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 03:33:54 GMT, Stuart Lamble
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On 2005-04-28, Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Eat more bananas! Bananas are great for preventing cramping.

>You do know that bananas are probably the single most radioactive food
>you can buy in a shop, don't you?

Damn that dihydrogen oxide, it's a bloody dangerous chemical!

On 2005-04-28, Carl Brewer <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 03:33:54 GMT, Stuart Lamble
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On 2005-04-28, Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Eat more bananas! Bananas are great for preventing cramping.

>>You do know that bananas are probably the single most radioactive food
>>you can buy in a shop, don't you?

> Damn that dihydrogen oxide, it's a bloody dangerous chemical!

I'm not sure if you're following up my (perfectly accurate) troll in the
same spirit or not... :)

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 03:50:06 GMT, Stuart Lamble
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm not sure if you're following up my (perfectly accurate) troll in the
>same spirit or not... :)

It's just down the corridor, second on the left. Follow your nose.

Stuart Lamble wrote:

> On 2005-04-28, Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Eat more bananas! Bananas are great for preventing cramping.

> You do know that bananas are probably the single most radioactive food
> you can buy in a shop, don't you?

Will I glow in the dark?

Tam

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:06:04 +1000, Tamyka Bell <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Stuart Lamble wrote:
>>
>> On 2005-04-28, Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > Eat more bananas! Bananas are great for preventing cramping.

>> You do know that bananas are probably the single most radioactive food
>> you can buy in a shop, don't you?
>>

>Will I glow in the dark?

Only if flushed

<[email protected]> wrote:

>On 2005-04-28, Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Eat more bananas! Bananas are great for preventing cramping.

>You do know that bananas are probably the single most radioactive food
>you can buy in a shop, don't you?

Damn that dihydrogen oxide, it's a bloody dangerous chemical!

dihydrogen monoxide is even more dangerous.

DHMO http://http://www.dhmo.org/

Nasty !

Hugh
:D

"

> Yeeeees - similar thing happened to me.
>
> I've given blood about a dozen times. Last time, I was super-conscious
> about being hydrated. Thing is, my blood bag filled up in record time
> (for me - normally my blood came out real slow...). I was very pleased
> - instead of being at the Red Cross for 30 minutes, I would be in &
> out in 10 min! Woohoo!!
>
> Then - the nurse came to remove the needle, etc, etc. Next thing I
> know, I'm in a totally different area of the 'ward', with 3 nurses
> around me yelling my name at me (and no, it wasn't one of my better
> fantasies!!). "What the..." I say. Apparently, I'd been out for just
> over a minute, and had suffered a big blood pressure drop.
>
> Even though this had never happened before, they told me that I was
> never allowed to give blood anymore. But they weren't able to work out
> exactly what happened.
>
> Upside is they gave me about 2 litres of cordial and half a dozen
> party pies before I left. Not sure what the pies were supposed to do,
> but the cordial had me buzzing for the rest of the day!
>
> Bizarro.....
>
> Cheers,
> Absent Husband

That's weird, I've donated for years (I owe my life to them so I give 4
to 5 times a year usually with a cash donation) and it's always the same
whether I've been working in the sun and definately dehydrated or fresh
out of the office. 5 minutes max to fill the bag. If I don't fill it
within 5 minutes the tube clots (I have a very high platelet count).
Never felt off at all never had an episode.

Makes me feel like I'm missing out somehow :).

(Oh and before any one asks there are places like Mt Isa where they take
blood on 10 week intervals not 12 due to shortages)

Cheers

BrettM

BrettM wrote:

> That's weird, I've donated for years (I owe my life to them so I give
> 4 to 5 times a year usually with a cash donation) and it's always the
> same whether I've been working in the sun and definately dehydrated
> or fresh out of the office. 5 minutes max to fill the bag. If I
> don't fill it within 5 minutes the tube clots (I have a very high
> platelet count). Never felt off at all never had an episode.
>
> Makes me feel like I'm missing out somehow :).
>
> (Oh and before any one asks there are places like Mt Isa where they
> take blood on 10 week intervals not 12 due to shortages)

OR you can donate plasma or platelets every two weeks. Plasma takes about 35
minutes, platelets an hour.

Theo
397 blood donations and counting.

"Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> BrettM wrote:
>
>> That's weird, I've donated for years (I owe my life to them so I give
>> 4 to 5 times a year usually with a cash donation) and it's always the
>> same whether I've been working in the sun and definately dehydrated
>> or fresh out of the office. 5 minutes max to fill the bag. If I
>> don't fill it within 5 minutes the tube clots (I have a very high
>> platelet count). Never felt off at all never had an episode.
>>
>> Makes me feel like I'm missing out somehow :).
>>
>> (Oh and before any one asks there are places like Mt Isa where they
>> take blood on 10 week intervals not 12 due to shortages)

> OR you can donate plasma or platelets every two weeks. Plasma takes
> about 35 minutes, platelets an hour.
>
> Theo
> 397 blood donations and counting.

They just gave a gentleman up here an award for his 200th whole blood
donation (50 years at 4 times a year). That was pretty impressive I
thought.

Brett M