Bjarne Riis: the hypocrite under scrutiny

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by Serafino, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Serafino

Serafino New Member

Team CSC boss Bjarne Riis has brushed off allegations from former Team Telekom soigneur Jef D'hondt that he used EPO and other doping products to win the 1996 Tour de France. The allegations were made on Belgian TV program Panorama on Sunday evening and claimed, among other things, that "Riis had a haematocrit of 64 at one time during the Tour," caused by the use of EPO.

"I have never had a particularly close relation with Jef D'hondt and he has no validation for the allegations he is making," said Riis in a statement released on Monday evening. "There will always be someone out there trying to make money by talking about the past and in my opinion that is probably what he is trying to do here.

"This is probably not the first nor the last time these kinds of stories surface," he continued. "To me, it's all in the past and I do not wish to be held accountable every time someone finds it interesting to bring up some ten-year-old story. I truly believe the future is much more important than the past. I want to be judged on the work I'm doing with my team today, and the results we achieve - that is what's important to me."

Tags:

2. The Double Zero

The Double Zero New Member

Notice that he does not actully deny using in his response. But really he is correct in who really gives a crap now, we all know about mr 60% so time to move on.

3. poulidor

poulidor New Member

If he would say "yes" I used EPO, many other riders as LA would be under pressure too!
    Go Mr 60%, go!

4. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

I read 64%, but please don't forget the book of Jef D'hont will be released soon...

5. rule62

rule62 New Member

Wow...he speaks Clinton. Who knew?

6. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

Good one.

I think the sport would better off if these guys admitted there was a doping free for all during the 90s. I'd like to hear a big fish like Riis to stop with the bullshit and say nearly everyone was on the junk. Instead we get Riis or Lefevre telling us that the past is unimportant or Zabel (Ullrich? Shocked, I tell you, shocked), who was apparently deaf, dumb, and blind in the early part of his career.

7. fbircher

fbircher New Member

"Hypocrite" seems a bit harsh. If the guy had been at the forefront of an anti-doping crusade, or if he had condemned others accused of doping, then I could agree with your characterization. But I'm not aware of any such activities by Riis, other than some obligatory DS-lip-service statements about doping. In fact, if you belive (as I suspect you do) that Riis' recent CSC stars (Hamilton, Basso) were doping their way to glory with his implicit knowledge, then his past and present positions on doping are perfectly consistent, which is the antithesis of hypocrisy.

8. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

Agreed. I don't think Riis cares one bit about the ethics of doping. He only started to pay attention when it threatened to affect his sponsorship money. He could very well end up doing a good job in the fight against doping, but with his past he currently does not have much credibility.

9. vitamin s

vitamin s New Member

riis = bad for the sport imo.

10. micron

micron New Member

you want a hypocrite? try Bruyneel who signs up to an agreement not to buy riders implicated in OP then goes ahead and signs 4 of them - 3 from his old boss Manolo Saiz to boot.

The sport's riddled with it - look at the number of DSes/mechanics/soigneurs/support staff who are actively involved in the sport - so the past is ever with us. Perhaps time for the UCI to declare and amnesty, a condition of which is that all ex-dopers spill the beans on exactly how riders continue to cheat the tests, the information to be used in developing a strong, credible and effective anti-doping programme. That coupled with a bit of transparency - how about publishing riders haematocrits monthly? - might, just might, have some impact on the current mess.

11. wolfix

wolfix New Member

12. Hungerkunstler

Hungerkunstler New Member

A doping free for all during the 90s?

In cycling?

You mean the 1890s yes?

13. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

I guess I was asleep while the UCI and its noble leader, Heinz Verbruggen, conducted its amazingly effective war against dope as all the riders started using EPO.

14. Der Kranz

Der Kranz New Member

any truth to the rumor that contador's A from PN came back anti-negative?

(since bruyneel was mentioned)

15. cPritch67

cPritch67 New Member

Not sure, but with the doping officials track record of following the process, you would have heard about it by now. They seem to have quite a few leaks in their piss poor (no pun intended) processes.

Also, if so, they prolly could have stopped him from starting Castilla de Leon this week - provided he tested anti-neg their too (assuming they do pre-race testing of all the riders prior to the start of the race - like the TdF). The boy can ride - pretty exciting season for him so far.