Bjarne Riis

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tf, Jul 23, 2003.

  1. Clovis Lark

    Clovis Lark Guest

    Kurgan Gringioni <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Clovis Lark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >>

    >> > That aside, I don't see anything wrong with changing the that part of
    > the
    >> > Constitution. If the people wish to vote for someone born in another country, then so be it.
    >>

    >> > K. Gringioni born in the USA
    >>

    >> It would give me a chance: CL not born in the US but not interested in the job... (it would ruin
    >> my road riding)

    > Why would it ruin your road riding? If you're the President, you can do

    > vacations".

    Well, I'd have that peloton of men in blue leisure suits and aviator sunglasses who would be leading
    out everywhere I went ...

  2. "Clovis Lark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Kurgan Gringioni <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > "Clovis Lark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > > the

    > >> It would give me a chance: CL not born in the US but not interested in
    the
    > >> job... (it would ruin my road riding)
    >

    > > Why would it ruin your road riding? If you're the President, you can do

    > > vacations".
    >
    > Well, I'd have that peloton of men in blue leisure suits and aviator sunglasses who would be
    > leading out everywhere I went ...

    The Prime Minister of Tuvalu (sp?) visited my brother once. It's only a nation of 10,000, so would
    be more like mayor of a small town here, not a big deal. However, the US Secret Service has a
    minimum level of protection for a foreign head of state. That meant 4 agents to accompany him at all
    times. So everywhere they went, they had 4 Secret Service dudes with them, checking the table out
    before they sat down at a restaurant, stuff like that. My brother said it was great fun.

    So ya, you could show up to a bike race and make those guys course marshall.

  3. Clovis Lark

    Clovis Lark Guest

    Kurgan Gringioni <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Clovis Lark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Kurgan Gringioni <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> > "Clovis Lark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> > news:[email protected]...

    >> > the

    > the
    >>

    >> > Why would it ruin your road riding? If you're the President, you can do

    >> > vacations".
    >>
    >> Well, I'd have that peloton of men in blue leisure suits and aviator sunglasses who would be
    >> leading out everywhere I went ...

    > The Prime Minister of Tuvalu (sp?) visited my brother once. It's only a nation of 10,000, so would
    > be more like mayor of a small town here, not a big deal. However, the US Secret Service has a
    > minimum level of protection for a foreign head of state. That meant 4 agents to accompany him at
    > all times. So everywhere they went, they had 4 Secret Service dudes with them, checking the table
    > out before they sat down at a restaurant, stuff like that. My brother said it was great fun.

    > So ya, you could show up to a bike race and make those guys course marshall.

    I'd never have to train again. Victory would be a matter of homeland security... PRAISE (Reference
    to the other thread about religion)!

  4. Amit

    Amit Guest

    [email protected] (steve) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > --- Tyler had no stage wins because Bruyneel rarely allows his riders to attempt individual stage
    > wins, it sucks and Cedric Vasser left because of it. C Agricole and CSC allow riders more freedom.

    That's what they have to do because they don't have a realistic shot at the overall.

    You'll never see Jacky Durand type riders on a team with a major contender for the Tour.

    > The Posties are a lot stronger than they appear on paper, it is just that the postie
    > domestiques are too restrained and discouraged from placing high after their jobs are done for
    > the days stage.----- My proof Look at Tylers position now, Levi would also be in the top ten
    > without his accident but if these guys were riding for postal they would be forced to be 20
    > minutes down at least.

    That's because they don't have a realistic shot at the overall. Jalabert spent his last two tours
    chasing mtn. points and going on long breaks (which the French just eat up), but it's a sign that
    you've decided you don't stand a chance on GC so you go for all the consolation prizes.

    -Amit

  5. Nev Shea

    Nev Shea Guest

    [email protected] (steve) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > [email protected] (TF) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...

    > --- Tyler had no stage wins because Bruyneel rarely allows his riders to attempt individual stage
    > wins, it sucks and Cedric Vasser left because of it.

    It was really hard for Vasseur to try for a stage win the year he wasn't even selected for the team.
    With all the whining he did then, he wasn't really missed when he left. Maybe he's happier now --
    he's got the opportunity to go for the stage win, though he's riding for the cursed team.

    NS

  6. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Clovis Lark wrote:
    > It would give me a chance: CL not born in the US but not interested in the job... (it would ruin
    > my road riding)

    Not really, just make the Secret Service's job a little harder. You can run a country from a bike
    saddle. It just take a little ingenuity.

  7. Clovis Lark

    Clovis Lark Guest

    Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Clovis Lark wrote:
    >> It would give me a chance: CL not born in the US but not interested in the job... (it would ruin
    >> my road riding)

    > Not really, just make the Secret Service's job a little harder. You can run a country from a bike
    > saddle. It just take a little ingenuity.

    Current situation as an example, NO ingenuity...

  8. "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Clovis Lark wrote:
    > > It would give me a chance: CL not born in the US but not interested in
    the
    > > job... (it would ruin my road riding)
    >
    > Not really, just make the Secret Service's job a little harder. You can run a country from a bike
    > saddle. It just take a little ingenuity.

    Hell ya.

    If Bush Sr. can run the country from Kennebunkport and Junior can run it from a dude ranch, then it
    certainly can be done from a bike.

    Cabinet meetings via videolink.

  9. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Clovis Lark wrote:
    > Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Clovis Lark wrote:
    >>
    >>>It would give me a chance: CL not born in the US but not interested in the job... (it would ruin
    >>>my road riding)
    >>

    >>Not really, just make the Secret Service's job a little harder. You can run a country from a bike
    >>saddle. It just take a little ingenuity.
    >

    > Current situation as an example, NO ingenuity...

    Yep, another jogger in the White House. How creative is that?

  10. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    > If Bush Sr. can run the country from Kennebunkport and Junior can run it from a dude ranch, then
    > it certainly can be done from a bike.

    Do you have any evidence that W has been running the country?

  11. Lindsay

    Lindsay Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 23:56:59 -0600, Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Yep, another jogger in the White House. How creative is that?

    W is not a jogger. 7 minute miles is running, not jogging. W is a runner.

    Lindsay
    ----------------------------
    "One of the annoying things about believing in free will and individual responsibility is the
    difficulty of finding somebody to blame your problems on. And when you do find somebody, it's
    remarkable how often his picture turns up on your driver's license."

    P.J. O'Rourke

  12. "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > If Bush Sr. can run the country from Kennebunkport and Junior can run it from a dude ranch, then
    > > it certainly can be done from a bike.
    >
    > Do you have any evidence that W has been running the country?

    Not really.

    See? Being President would be the greatest thing for training.

  13. Lindsay wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 23:56:59 -0600, Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Yep, another jogger in the White House. How creative is that?
    >

    > W is not a jogger. 7 minute miles is running, not jogging. W is a runner.

    7 minute miles is jogging. 6 minute miles or better is running.

  14. Lindsay

    Lindsay Guest

    On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 11:12:25 +1200, Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Lindsay wrote:
    >> On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 23:56:59 -0600, Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Yep, another jogger in the White House. How creative is that?
    >>

    >> W is not a jogger. 7 minute miles is running, not jogging. W is a runner.
    >
    >7 minute miles is jogging. 6 minute miles or better is running.

    Bullshit. 9 minute miles is jogging. Most runners would love to do a 5K at 7 minute miles, would be
    ecstatic with a 10K with 7 minute miles.

    Lindsay
    ----------------------------
    "One of the annoying things about believing in free will and individual responsibility is the
    difficulty of finding somebody to blame your problems on. And when you do find somebody, it's
    remarkable how often his picture turns up on your driver's license."

    P.J. O'Rourke

  15. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Lindsay wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 11:12:25 +1200, Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Lindsay wrote:

    >>>W is not a jogger. 7 minute miles is running, not jogging. W is a runner.
    >>
    >>7 minute miles is jogging. 6 minute miles or better is running.
    >

    > Bullshit. 9 minute miles is jogging. Most runners would love to do a 5K at 7 minute miles, would
    > be ecstatic with a 10K with 7 minute miles.
    >
    > Lindsay

    Way back when I was sprinting (on foot), the coach had us run 6 minute miles for training. I'm
    pretty sure I can do a 7-minute mile, and I am NOT a runner.

    It doesn't matter. He's not creative.

  16. Lindsay

    Lindsay Guest

    On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 20:30:04 -0600, Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Lindsay wrote:
    >> On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 11:12:25 +1200, Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote: Bullshit. 9 minute
    >> miles is jogging. Most runners would love to do a 5K at 7 minute miles, would be ecstatic with a
    >> 10K with 7 minute miles.
    >>
    >> Lindsay
    >
    >Way back when I was sprinting (on foot), the coach had us run 6 minute miles for training. I'm
    >pretty sure I can do a 7-minute mile, and I am NOT a runner.
    >
    >It doesn't matter. He's not creative.

    I am associated with 3 running groups, an officer with one of them. People who can run a 3K with an
    ave of 7 minute miles are runners. If you can run a 10K with a 7 min ave you can be sub-seeded for
    many races that have big purses and professional attendance. Pretending that people who run 7 minute
    miles are 'joggers' is utter bullshit. Saying as much only proves ones ignorance, or bias. ;-)

    Lindsay
    ----------------------------
    "One of the annoying things about believing in free will and individual responsibility is the
    difficulty of finding somebody to blame your problems on. And when you do find somebody, it's
    remarkable how often his picture turns up on your driver's license."

    P.J. O'Rourke

  17. "Lindsay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 20:30:04 -0600, Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Lindsay wrote:
    > >> On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 11:12:25 +1200, Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote: Bullshit. 9
    > >> minute miles is jogging. Most runners would love to do a 5K at 7 minute miles, would be
    > >> ecstatic with a 10K with 7 minute miles.
    > >>
    > >> Lindsay
    > >
    > >Way back when I was sprinting (on foot), the coach had us run 6 minute miles for training. I'm
    > >pretty sure I can do a 7-minute mile, and I am NOT a runner.
    > >
    > >It doesn't matter. He's not creative.
    >
    > I am associated with 3 running groups, an officer with one of them. People who can run a 3K with
    > an ave of 7 minute miles are runners. If you can run a 10K with a 7 min ave you can be sub-seeded
    > for many races that have big purses and professional attendance.

    Dude, 7 min/mile is slow. 42 minute 10k. That's not a seeded time.

  18. Lindsay

    Lindsay Guest

    On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 04:55:18 GMT, "Kurgan Gringioni"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Dude, 7 min/mile is slow. 42 minute 10k. That's not a seeded time.

    Dude, I said sub-seeded. Do you know the difference?? 7 minute miles is not slow. Only a fool would
    call it 'jogging'.

    Lindsay
    ----------------------------
    "One of the annoying things about believing in free will and individual responsibility is the
    difficulty of finding somebody to blame your problems on. And when you do find somebody, it's
    remarkable how often his picture turns up on your driver's license."

    P.J. O'Rourke

  19. "Lindsay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 04:55:18 GMT, "Kurgan Gringioni"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >Dude, 7 min/mile is slow. 42 minute 10k. That's not a seeded time.
    >
    > Dude, I said sub-seeded. Do you know the difference?? 7 minute miles is not slow. Only a fool
    > would call it 'jogging'.

    Dumbass -

    I used to run sprints in college. I can run a sub 40 minute 40k.

    cross country team.

    Seeded runner? What a joke.

  20. Lindsay wrote:

    > I am associated with 3 running groups, an officer with one of them. People who can run a 3K with
    > an ave of 7 minute miles are runners. If you can run a 10K with a 7 min ave you can be
    > sub-seeded for many races that have big purses and professional attendance. Pretending that
    > people who run 7 minute miles are 'joggers' is utter bullshit. Saying as much only proves ones
    > ignorance, or bias. ;-)

    Where are these races? Does runing a 7 min average in a "big race" make you feel better when the
    lead is at sub 5 mins/mile and the average is better than 6???

    Rule of thumb here (as explained by club coach) is: 34 min 10K - club runner 30 min 10K - provincial
    rep better than 30 min 10K - national rep

    I'll stick with my original characterisation.