Bjarne Riis

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by Pas Souci, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Pas Souci

Pas Souci New Member

I still can't get my head around the CSC situation. They are not going to pull there sponsorship; inturn supporting Bjarne Riis. How can anyone support this guy? How can a guy who admitted to winning the Tour on EPO and showed no remorse about it run a pro tour team? Pure stupidity if you ask me.

How can anyone ride for him (stupid question - they're always winning;) ). And I haven't heard anyone come out in the media and slam him for what he has done and doing(then again I live in Australia - 3rd in the world rankings:D ).

Are the UCI suspicious? A cheat running a team; doesn't seem so. In the movie 'Overcoming' Bjarne comments on Ivan Basso "he'll win the Tour de France one day" - guess it didn't all workout, eh Bjarne?

Tags:

2. janiejones

janiejones New Member

Yep, I agree it sucks I reckon.

It sucks for the guys that did get busted when Riis was basking in all his cheating glory.

3. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

Is someone like Bruyneel, who was part of Team ONCE's team doping program but refuses to admit anything, a better person to run a team? How about Vaughters, who has not outright admitted to doping but has strongly implied that he did so under pressure and deception from Armstrong? Vaughter's team has, perhaps, the best anti-doping system of any cycling team. What about Gianetti, who nearly died after injecting himself with PFC?

At this point, Riis has more credibility than most of the other managers.

4. Pas Souci

Pas Souci New Member

I hear what you saying, but cheats are not credible.

5. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

Plus, you have to give Riis some credit for being very careful with his words. As a team owner he has largely avoided the ridiculous denials that everyone else is using and instead directed the conversation to the present and future. With the recent changes in the public's, race organizers', and UCI's view of doping, it seems that he realizes that what worked for him as a racer will not work for him as a team owner.

6. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

7. Pas Souci

Pas Souci New Member

8. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Cheating aside he is good at what he does and that is why he has job.

9. Gregers

Gregers New Member

An old cliche is that poachers make the best gamekeepers, thus in theory making Riis particularly well qualified as an overseer of drug testing programmes. The big conundrum is whether he is still poaching.

10. LeDomestique

LeDomestique New Member

As someone said before, I think Riis is far more credible than others in the cycling management arena.

Granted, he cheated and -IMHO- should return the yellow jersey, but what exactly about his doping as a rider invalidates his participation as a team DS, is beyond me.

"cheats aren't credible" is like saying "excons cant integrate to society". You're condemning them for life, when they have already paid their price.

11. azdroptop

azdroptop New Member

Is it cheating when everyone else is cheating too? Like mentioned, he get's some credit for admitting he used the goods. Is he helping his team use too, most likely.

12. tcklyde

tcklyde New Member

Yeah, this is what bugs me. He clearly knew and probably helped Basso dope and he got off with an admission about doping ten years ago.

At this point, finding a person who can both be a DS and doesn't hav esome connection with doping is a bit like finding a needle in a hay stack.

13. Doctor.House

Doctor.House New Member

CSC supports doping as an acceptable form of cheating.

Now we know.

14. trucker39

trucker39 New Member

What a statement. I doubt CSC would accept that one.

15. Doctor.House

Doctor.House New Member

If they wire over Bjarne's annual budget funds---they embrace my words.

Those CSC bank wires speak so loudly, you simply cannot hear them. Your ears are ringing.

CSC funds illegal doping!

No big secret there.

16. trucker39

trucker39 New Member

From what i know, CSC would have nothing to do with Riis if there was doping in his team. In fact, i admire the bravery of CSC for sticking with him, and the team, when the easy thing would have been to pull the plug. Bravo i say.

Also, i give Riis some credit for coming clean, and saying he will do everything to work towards a clean team and a clean sport. We need more like him.

17. Doctor.House

Doctor.House New Member

Then you know little about human nature, greed and drug addiction.

Perhaps you advocate the employment for Charles Manson as a youth couselor at your local intermediate school?

Or convicted drunks as school bus drivers.

Or meth amphetamine addicts as commercial air line pilots.

Or imbeciles taken for fools as sports fans.

The right thing to do is quit CSC funding, thus canceling the budget for doping and doping protocol. Those Schleck brothers appear to be on heavy cow blood protocols and CSC & Bjarne are funding that cheating.

18. trucker39

trucker39 New Member

You're an idiot.

But i'd be interesting to see if anyone else agrees with your ramblings?

19. Dead Star

Dead Star New Member

20. Doctor.House

Doctor.House New Member

Wrong again.

But I do attract foolish doper apologists with mindless assertions.

Perhaps Richard Virenue should take over from Patrick MacQuad next week, completing your cycle of dishonesty and highly defensive nature? Or no?

LIVE WRONG! Nike does.