Bjarne Riis

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
If reports are accurate it would appear that Riis is going through a rough patch at the moment

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/16144/Bjarne-Riis-suffering-from-depression-over-doping-allegations.aspx?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+velonation_pro_cycling+(Cycling+News+%26+Race+Results+%7C+VeloNation.com)

I can understand Riis feeling under pressure.
It was always a puzzle how the sport allowed a person with his reputation to remain involved to the extent that he was.
(Gewiss, Telekom, his admission to doping).

Originally Posted by limerickman
I can understand Riis feeling under pressure.
It was always a puzzle how the sport allowed a person with his reputation to remain involved to the extent that he was.
(Gewiss, Telekom, his admission to doping).
Never caught, never banned, I imagine. Flying (doping) under the radar during the Lance era probably didn't hurt, either. I'm sure he has the sensation that it could all come down on him when he isn't looking. His depression is his anticipation of a fall.

Reactions: limerickman
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
Never caught, never banned, I imagine. Flying (doping) under the radar during the Lance era probably didn't hurt, either. I'm sure he has the sensation that it could all come down on him when he isn't looking. His depression is his anticipation of a fall.
I reckon he knows which way the wind is blowing and that he's in the firing line.

Apart from his own admission (through gritted teeth) that he doped, his willingness to sign known dopers to his teams leaves him more compromised.

Apart from his own admission (through gritted teeth) that he doped, his willingness to sign known dopers to his teams leaves him more compromised.
That, too. Have you read Tyler Hamilton's account of meeting Riis to ride for CSC? What preparations does Postal use? Have you done bloodbags? You'll love bloodbags. I can't say he manages a team doping program any longer, but that was pretty damning, even for 2001.

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
That, too. Have you read Tyler Hamilton's account of meeting Riis to ride for CSC? What preparations does Postal use? Have you done bloodbags? You'll love bloodbags. I can't say he manages a team doping program any longer, but that was pretty damning, even for 2001.
Thanks.

I must get to read a copy of Hamilton's book,

Love Hamilton or hate him, he paints the picture of what goes on inside.

I reckon he knows which way the wind is blowing and that he's in the firing line.

So what does that say about Garmin and Vaughters? Most of the fast lads on that team have been nailed for drugs at some point yet many think that JV is the best thing since sliced bread. Couldn't hardly wait for Dekkers ban to expire before snapping him up (again - since he was booted off the team whilst trying to sign the lad two years ago.)

Vande Velde, Zabriskie, Danielson, Millar, Hesjedal, Dekker spring to mind without looking at the full roster.

They should change the name on the jersey to Garmin-Sharps.

Originally Posted by swampy1970

So what does that say about Garmin and Vaughters? Most of the fast lads on that team have been nailed for drugs at some point yet many think that JV is the best thing since sliced bread. Couldn't hardly wait for Dekkers ban to expire before snapping him up (again - since he was booted off the team whilst trying to sign the lad two years ago.)

Vande Velde, Zabriskie, Danielson, Millar, Hesjedal, Dekker spring to mind without looking at the full roster.

They should change the name on the jersey to Garmin-Sharps.
You're a rank hypocrite.

On the SKY Walsh thread you waffle about that thread being derailed.

If you wish to discuss Garmin, open up another thread.

I asked a simple question based on your assertion that having admitted doping and signed riders that have doped that he's more open to scrutiny. If that is the case, why doesn't garmin get clumped in with the likes of Riis's team? No need to get your knickers in a twist.

Originally Posted by swampy1970

I asked a simple question based on your assertion that having admitted doping and signed riders that have doped that he's more open to scrutiny. If that is the case, why doesn't garmin get clumped in with the likes of Riis's team?

No need to get your knickers in a twist.
Garmin doesn't get clumped with Saxo and other Riis teams because Garmin was established as a clean team (albeit by riders who formerly doped) and presumably conducts its own anti-doping program. Garmin differs from Sky in that Sky's policy is presumably zero-tolerance, past and present, while Garmin hires ex-dopers who are now presumably clean. Riis has taken no public stand against doping and in recent times several of his riders have tested positive and been suspended.

In his heyday in the '90s, before there were tests for EPO, Riis was known as "Mr. 60 Percent" for a hematocrit that was tested as high as 64 %. Vaughters didn't confess to doping until he was deposed by USADA, but since 2007 most take his word that he quit after leaving Postal.