Black Bloody Toes

IMBudd

Guest
I have been running for a while and took to the great indoors because of the weather. After a 12
mile run on a Cybex Treadmill, I noticed blood pooled under the nail of two of my toes.

Being a tough guy, I did what came natural...I drilled a hole in my toe nails and let the blood out.

My toes are still sore occassionally after a long run on the treadmill. I wear Reebok Premier Road
shoes and I don't think I am striking the deck very hard (I'm a light 140 lbs.).

Any ideas what the problem may be?

Thanks for the help.

Drilling holes in your toenails? Yes, I do have an idea what's wrong. Budget cuts have forced the
closure of several mental institutions across the country, and now the insane roam our streets
unsupervised. Welcome to the outside, Slingblade. I fear what will happen if you get a blood blister
on your forehead...

IMBudd wrote:

>I have been running for a while and took to the great indoors because of the weather. After a 12
>mile run on a Cybex Treadmill, I noticed blood pooled under the nail of two of my toes.
>
>My toes are still sore occassionally after a long run on the treadmill. I wear Reebok Premier Road
>shoes and I don't think I am striking the deck very hard (I'm a light 140 lbs.).
>
>Any ideas what the problem may be?

Maybe the toebox of your shoes is too small, or your socks are too tight.

Malc

"Miss Anne Thrope" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Drilling holes in your toenails? Yes, I do have an idea what's wrong. Budget cuts have forced the
> closure of several mental institutions across the country, and now the insane roam our streets
> unsupervised. Welcome to the outside, Slingblade. I fear what will happen if you get a blood
> blister on your forehead...

Its actually a pretty common way to let blood out from under nails... and usually isn't all that
painful. Typical procedure is to use a heated needle (to sterilze it AND make it hot) and slowly and
carefully let it melt through the nail, when its through the blood can ooze out, will reduce the
ugly black mark on nail, and also reduce "tenderness" if its a large area. How do you treat
massively black nails? Sure you can let them go and it will eventually heal, but boy is it ugly, and
larger areas can actually be quite painful and result in damage to the nailbed, thereby loosing the
nail and waiting for a new one to grow in (frequently ingrown at that!).

Buy a new pair of shoes a half size bigger

--
Nova Scotia, Canada

In article <[email protected]>, IMBudd wrote:
> I have been running for a while and took to the great indoors because of the weather. After a 12
> mile run on a Cybex Treadmill, I noticed blood pooled under the nail of two of my toes.
>
> Being a tough guy, I did what came natural...I drilled a hole in my toe nails and let the
> blood out.
>
> My toes are still sore occassionally after a long run on the treadmill. I wear Reebok Premier Road
> shoes and I don't think I am striking the deck very hard (I'm a light 140 lbs.).
>
> Any ideas what the problem may be?

Could be that the uppers of your shoes are rubbing against the toes or something. Getting new shoes
would be one way to address it, but a more economical way may be to change the lacing so your toes
have more space.

Which toes are giving you trouble ?

Cheers,

"Colm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> That's interesting. Which way gives the most space?
>
> --
> Colm

There's several different ones - A common, very easy one is to cut the lace in half and only use the
top half of the eyelets, or so. Another one is not as severe - skip the bottem set of eyelets and
that's it. These's also a few sites online with more elaborate styles that are supposed to help
different problems.

A friend of mine literally cuts the entire toebox right off the shoe. You'd think the shoe would
lose enough of it's integrity to satart flopping around, but he's fine. It would be cold in Winter,
though, haha (he's a Winter treadmill-only runner).

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most insecure people are the ones you see, putting
other people down constantly."

IMBudd wrote:
> I have been running for a while and took to the great indoors because of the weather. After a 12
> mile run on a Cybex Treadmill, I noticed blood pooled under the nail of two of my toes.
>
> Being a tough guy, I did what came natural...I drilled a hole in my toe nails and let the
> blood out.
>
> My toes are still sore occassionally after a long run on the treadmill. I wear Reebok Premier Road
> shoes and I don't think I am striking the deck very hard (I'm a light 140 lbs.).
>
> Any ideas what the problem may be?
>
> Thanks for the help.

Problem is your toes are hitting the front of your shoes. if this only happens on the treadmill, it
may be caused by your running pace- maybe the 'mill going too fast? if it happens on the roads too,
then you need bigger shoes.

I try to keep two pairs and alternate to give my feet a rest. You might try that, but get a
different shoe than the ones you're running in.

--
Bob Burns Mill Hall PA [email protected]

Sounds sensible to me. I've a pair of trail shoes which are a little bit tight and might benefit
from this. I'll try it out tomorrow. Thanks!

--
Colm

news:[email protected]...

In article <[email protected]>, Colm wrote:
> That's interesting. Which way gives the most space?

There are different ways to do this. I've seen this one recommended.

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/shoeshoplacing.htm

What it does is that it pulls the upper away from the toe at the point were the diagonal lace meets
the eyelet. So if the big toe or the one next to it are the problem, you want the diagonal lace to
be over the big toe.

David already posted good suggestions that generally improve roominess in the toebox.

Cheers,

> Any ideas what the problem may be?

Shoes are too small. Your feet can change size a little bit at different times of the day, during
exercise, and at altitude. Your shoes can shrink a little bit after getting wet.

Many runners notice a 1/2 to 1 US unit increase in foot size the first year of running. Maybe due to
more muscle or suppleness.

Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>, IMBudd wrote:
> > I have been running for a while and took to the great indoors because of the weather. After a 12
> > mile run on a Cybex Treadmill, I noticed blood pooled under the nail of two of my toes.
> >
> > Being a tough guy, I did what came natural...I drilled a hole in my toe nails and let the
> > blood out.
> >
> > My toes are still sore occassionally after a long run on the treadmill. I wear Reebok Premier
> > Road shoes and I don't think I am striking the deck very hard (I'm a light 140 lbs.).
> >
> > Any ideas what the problem may be?
>
> Could be that the uppers of your shoes are rubbing against the toes or something. Getting new
> shoes would be one way to address it, but a more economical way may be to change the lacing so
> your toes have more space.
>
> Which toes are giving you trouble ?
>
> Cheers,

The toes next to the big toe...the index toe? Those feel it the worst. Thanks for the great
suggestion on lacing. I'm going to give it a try!

"rick++" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Any ideas what the problem may be?
>
> Shoes are too small. Your feet can change size a little bit at different times of the day, during
> exercise, and at altitude. Your shoes can shrink a little bit after getting wet.
>
> Many runners notice a 1/2 to 1 US unit increase in foot size the first year of running. Maybe due
> to more muscle or suppleness

It happened to me as well, but I was always under the impression it was due to the arches
dropping a bit.

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most insecure people are the ones you see, putting
other people down constantly."

.

Hi,

> Any ideas what the problem may be?

I definitely agree to the basic statement made by the others in this thread: Your shoes might be
too small.

Infact, your feet will expand during long runs. You can try and compare the length of your feet
before and after a marathon. The difference is amazing!

Since my feet are quite long in "normal" circumstances, I'm always running into problems to find the
correct size in sport shops.

Good luck,

Andre