Black Cannondale / Suntour Superbe Pro

Dave Mayer

Guest
Found but have not yet bought an interesting bike from the late 80's. It is
a black Cannondale with black-anodized Suntour Superbe Pro components.
Hubs, derailleurs (with gold accents), crankset and a black Gran Compe
brakeset. Gold-anodized friction downtube shifters with a 6-speed freewheel
setup. It all looks really sharp.

The bike is too big for me, but I'm thinking about possible resale value. I
have never seen this combination on Ebay. Advice?

Dave Mayer wrote:
> Found but have not yet bought an interesting bike from the late 80's. It is
> a black Cannondale with black-anodized Suntour Superbe Pro components.
> Hubs, derailleurs (with gold accents), crankset and a black Gran Compe
> brakeset. Gold-anodized friction downtube shifters with a 6-speed freewheel
> setup. It all looks really sharp.
>
> The bike is too big for me, but I'm thinking about possible resale value. I
> have never seen this combination on Ebay. Advice?

i think it's worth 5000-USD.

Its called a Black Lightning. I think c-dale offered different versions
starting from 1987. All the bikes i have seen are equiped with suntour
sprint & not superbe. C-dale also made a White Lightning that was
superbe-pro. Search ebay.

Dave Mayer wrote:
> Found but have not yet bought an interesting bike from the late 80's. It is
> a black Cannondale with black-anodized Suntour Superbe Pro components.
> Hubs, derailleurs (with gold accents), crankset and a black Gran Compe
> brakeset. Gold-anodized friction downtube shifters with a 6-speed freewheel
> setup. It all looks really sharp.
>
> The bike is too big for me, but I'm thinking about possible resale value. I
> have never seen this combination on Ebay. Advice?

Quick sea story about a C-dale like this. I was a long time runner, got
hurt, decided to ride vice run. Went into Ocean Front bikes in Va Bch
to look. Rode a Cannondale with gold Suntour, really liked it but the
owner, Stuart Moon said, for comparison, ride this Italian job, Ciocc
with Campag and tubulars. Rode it, loved it, the rest is history. I
often wonder what path into the bike biz I would have taken with the
Cannonball/Suntour stuff/clincher bike.

> Dave Mayer wrote:
>> Found but have not yet bought an interesting bike from the late 80's. It
>> is
>> a black Cannondale with black-anodized Suntour Superbe Pro components.
>> Hubs, derailleurs (with gold accents), crankset and a black Gran Compe
>> brakeset. Gold-anodized friction downtube shifters with a 6-speed
>> freewheel
>> setup. It all looks really sharp.
>>
>> The bike is too big for me, but I'm thinking about possible resale value.
>> have never seen this combination on Ebay. Advice?

> Quick sea story about a C-dale like this. I was a long time runner, got
> hurt, decided to ride vice run. Went into Ocean Front bikes in Va Bch
> to look. Rode a Cannondale with gold Suntour, really liked it but the
> owner, Stuart Moon said, for comparison, ride this Italian job, Ciocc
> with Campag and tubulars. Rode it, loved it, the rest is history. I
> often wonder what path into the bike biz I would have taken with the
> Cannonball/Suntour stuff/clincher bike.

Manager of the bike section at Walmart?

Or more likely, a pizza parlor in downtown Boulder.

:)

Thank god for that Ciocc, btw. The industry (and the biking world for us
addicts) would be a poorer place if you were serving pizzas!

Lee

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Dave Mayer wrote:
>> Found but have not yet bought an interesting bike from the late 80's. It is
>> a black Cannondale with black-anodized Suntour Superbe Pro components.
>> Hubs, derailleurs (with gold accents), crankset and a black Gran Compe
>> brakeset. Gold-anodized friction downtube shifters with a 6-speed freewheel
>> setup. It all looks really sharp.
>>
>> The bike is too big for me, but I'm thinking about possible resale value. I
>> have never seen this combination on Ebay. Advice?

>Quick sea story about a C-dale like this. I was a long time runner, got
>hurt, decided to ride vice run. Went into Ocean Front bikes in Va Bch
>to look. Rode a Cannondale with gold Suntour, really liked it but the
>owner, Stuart Moon said, for comparison, ride this Italian job, Ciocc
>with Campag and tubulars. Rode it, loved it, the rest is history. I
>often wonder what path into the bike biz I would have taken with the
>Cannonball/Suntour stuff/clincher bike.

Funny - I was shopping for a bike about the same time (1984-5). I
rode many steel bikes, and couldn't find one that felt right. I ended
up riding a Cannondale SR-500 (that was the green model with the
Suntour Sprint derailleurs, but had a Superbe Pro crank), and was
hooked. I remember looking at the "Black Lightning" (which, AFAICR)
was equipped with Superbe Pro derailleurs. The funny thing about
those frames was that they had chunky oval seat stays turned the wrong
way to the wind (presumably to reduce flex). The tubes looked
enormous in the mid-80's, but almost svelte by comparison to today's
big tube aluminum bikes.

That bike influenced my philosophies on how much flex is too much, as
is still reflected in the Habanero frames (which aren't as stiff as a
'dale, but are a lot stiffer than most steel frames).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

In article <[email protected]>,
"Lee" <lee_AT_SHOES_wheelman_DOT_com> wrote:

> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

snip

> > Quick sea story about a C-dale like this. I was a long time runner, got
> > hurt, decided to ride vice run. Went into Ocean Front bikes in Va Bch
> > to look. Rode a Cannondale with gold Suntour, really liked it but the
> > owner, Stuart Moon said, for comparison, ride this Italian job, Ciocc
> > with Campag and tubulars. Rode it, loved it, the rest is history. I
> > often wonder what path into the bike biz I would have taken with the
> > Cannonball/Suntour stuff/clincher bike.

> Manager of the bike section at Walmart?
>
> Or more likely, a pizza parlor in downtown Boulder.
>
> :)
>
> Thank god for that Ciocc, btw. The industry (and the biking world for us
> addicts) would be a poorer place if you were serving pizzas!
>
> Lee

Here! Here!

Had he taken the first bike, Peter would have known better than to have
gone into the bike business.

How does Admiral Chisholm sound....??

HAND

I bought a first generation Cannondale frame as a quick replacement for
a broken custom steel frame and rode that for a year or two until I
broke the derailleur hanger in a mishap. I got the Black Lightning
frame as a free replacement. I rode that bike hard for 17 or 18 years
until it developed a huge crack in the downtube. That was a great
bike. It was stiff but not anymore boneshaking than my old SP racing
frame, and it lasted a good long time, especially considering the $200
or so initial investment. -- Jay Beattie.

Hey Dave:

Sports Junkies in Port Moody?

I might go take a look at the bike this week (a friend told me about
it), so let me know if you snap it up.

-JJ

Dave Mayer wrote:
> Found but have not yet bought an interesting bike from the late 80's. It is
> a black Cannondale with black-anodized Suntour Superbe Pro components.
> Hubs, derailleurs (with gold accents), crankset and a black Gran Compe
> brakeset. Gold-anodized friction downtube shifters with a 6-speed freewheel
> setup. It all looks really sharp.
>
> The bike is too big for me, but I'm thinking about possible resale value. I
> have never seen this combination on Ebay. Advice?

> Hey Dave:
>
> Sports Junkies in Port Moody?

Damn! They're on to us!

> I might go take a look at the bike this week (a friend told me about
> it), so let me know if you snap it up.
>
> -JJ

Not like I want more roadies there snapping up the good stuff, but
sigh... their Boxing Day sale is excellent.

H M Leary wrote:

> Here! Here!
>
> Had he taken the first bike, Peter would have known better than to have
> gone into the bike business.
>
> How does Admiral Chisholm sound....??
>
> HAND

No...I was an 'operator' and not a diplomat when in the USN. When I
stopped flying, I stopped having any interest in staying in the USN.
Never good at playing the game.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote:

> H M Leary wrote:
>

> > Here! Here!
> >
> > Had he taken the first bike, Peter would have known better than to have
> > gone into the bike business.
> >
> > How does Admiral Chisholm sound....??
> >
> > HAND

> No...I was an 'operator' and not a diplomat when in the USN. When I
> stopped flying, I stopped having any interest in staying in the USN.
> Never good at playing the game.

ET TU, Brutus?

Had I stayed in the AF I would have been rifted.

I didn't go into the bike business cause I didn't have any money to lose.
I am also a charter member of The Royal Order of the Klutz!

HAND
Going riding

Jesse: all I want is the wheels on this. In return, I would provide a good
replacement set of wheels and some cash to seal the deal.