Black clouds don't faze no one.

Simon Mason

Guest
What is it with colleagues who take great delight in
spotting a dark cloud when it's knocking off time? The other
afternoon at 1500 I'd got all togged up to ride the 12 miles
home when my senior line manager saw a black cloud in the
south western sky and took great glee in telling me that I
was going to get wet on the way home. I chuckled and told
him that I'd seen off December, January and February, so I'm
not likely to be scared of a black cloud in March, am I?

Indeed, as I went north out of our works and prepared to
turn 90 degrees into the westerly wind for the rest of the
ride, I looked up at the slate grey sky in front of me with
contempt and laughed at it
:)

Simon Mason
Hull

> What is it with colleagues who take great delight in
> spotting a dark cloud when it's knocking off time? The
> other afternoon at 1500 I'd got all togged up to ride the
> 12 miles home when my senior line manager saw a black
> cloud in the south western sky and took great glee in
> telling me that I was going to get wet on the way home. I
> chuckled and told him that I'd seen off December, January
> and February, so I'm not likely to be scared of a black
> cloud in March, am I?
>
> Indeed, as I went north out of our works and prepared to
> turn 90 degrees into the westerly wind for the rest of the
> ride, I looked up at the slate grey sky in front of me
> with contempt and laughed at it
> :)
>
> Simon Mason
> Hull

The usual reaction at my place of work is a strange look and
a cry of "you must be mad", when I cycle in in all weather,
especially the winter.

Graham

> What is it with colleagues who take great delight in
> spotting a dark cloud when it's knocking off time?

Dunno but I've just come back from a wet ride and not only
am I still alive but am in better nick than younger
colleagues who think the "Rest Of The World" is contained in
the goggle box in their living room.
--
Regards, Pete

> What is it with colleagues who take great delight in
> spotting a dark cloud when it's knocking off time?

Another thing that amuses me is colleguaes reactions to
winter cycling they treat it some kind of mad crazy thing to
do whearas for me its the a perfectly normal thing , they
dont realise what they are missing cycling 9 miles at 04.30
am on a cold frosty Scottish winter morning.

Ross

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 14:31:25 -0000, "Ross" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Another thing that amuses me is colleguaes reactions to
>winter cycling they treat it some kind of mad crazy thing
>to do whearas for me its the a perfectly normal thing ,
>they dont realise what they are missing cycling 9 miles at
>04.30 am on a cold frosty Scottish winter morning.

Of course 50 and 60 years ago it was a perfectly
normal thing.

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. -
Mark Twain

"Ross" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > What is it with colleagues who take great delight in
> > spotting a dark cloud when it's knocking off time?
>
> Another thing that amuses me is colleguaes reactions to
> winter cycling
they
> treat it some kind of mad crazy thing to do whearas for me
> its the a perfectly normal thing , they dont realise what
> they are missing cycling
9
> miles at 04.30 am on a cold frosty Scottish winter
> morning.

Ah, so you mean they are doing it and missing things like..
sleep.. warmth.. breakfast... So true ;)

Rich

"Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Ross" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
> >
> > "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > What is it with colleagues who take great delight in
> > > spotting a dark cloud when it's knocking off time?
> >
> > Another thing that amuses me is colleguaes reactions to
> > winter cycling
> they
> > treat it some kind of mad crazy thing to do whearas for
> > me its the a perfectly normal thing , they dont realise
> > what they are missing
cycling
> 9
> > miles at 04.30 am on a cold frosty Scottish winter
> > morning.
> >

> Ah, so you mean they are doing it and missing things
> like.. sleep.. warmth.. breakfast... So true ;)
>
> Rich

Sleep ,warmth and breakfast are for big girls blouses :)

Ross

> What is it with colleagues who take great delight in
> spotting a dark cloud when it's knocking off time? The
> other afternoon at 1500 I'd got all togged up to ride the
> 12 miles home when my senior line manager saw a black
> cloud in the south western sky and took great glee in
> telling me that I was going to get wet on the way home. I
> chuckled and told him that I'd seen off December, January
> and February, so I'm not likely to be scared of a black
> cloud in March, am I?
>
> Indeed, as I went north out of our works and prepared to
> turn 90 degrees into the westerly wind for the rest of the
> ride, I looked up at the slate grey sky in front of me
> with contempt and laughed at it
> :)

You tell them, Simon. I just got back from a seven mile
ride, half of which was done against 15mph rainy headwinds.
Very edifying for the soul, and most upbuilding for one's
mental and physical discipline.

To your manager, I can only say "Forgive him, for he knows
not what he is missing".
--
Akin

aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

> I'm not likely to be scared of a black cloud in
> March, am I?

Like my dad used to say: skin is not water-soluble.

Simon

"Ross" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Another thing that amuses me is colleguaes reactions to
> winter cycling
they
> treat it some kind of mad crazy thing to do whearas for me
> its the a perfectly normal thing , they dont realise what
> they are missing cycling
9
> miles at 04.30 am on a cold frosty Scottish winter
> morning.

At least you don't need to waste 10 minutes scraping the ice
of a bike on a frosty morning.

Each cold frosty morning I hear that scraping sound starting
at 6am onwards (although I'm usually asleep at that time).

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:49:45 -0000, in
<[email protected]>, "Adrian Boliston"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Ross" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>berlin.de...
>
>> Another thing that amuses me is colleguaes reactions to
>> winter cycling
>they
>> treat it some kind of mad crazy thing to do whearas for
>> me its the a perfectly normal thing , they dont realise
>> what they are missing cycling
>9
>> miles at 04.30 am on a cold frosty Scottish winter
>> morning.
>
>At least you don't need to waste 10 minutes scraping the
>ice of a bike on a frosty morning.

Sometimes my gear cables freeze up, which is a bit of a
bugger if you left your bike in the big sprocket.
--
DISCLAIMER: My email box is private property.Email which
appears in my inbox is mine to do what I like with. Anything

"Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > I'm not likely to be scared of a black cloud in
> > March, am I?
>
> Like my dad used to say: skin is not water-soluble.
>
> Simon

I often point out to people that rain is actually only water
and not battery acid (well not quite!).

Originally posted by Simon Mason
What is it with colleagues who take great delight in spotting a dark cloud when it's knocking off time? The other afternoon at 1500 I'd got all togged up to ride the 12 miles home when my senior line manager saw a black cloud in the south western sky and took great glee in telling me that I was going to get wet on the way home. I chuckled and told him that I'd seen off December, January and February, so I'm not likely to be scared of a black cloud in March, am I?

Indeed, as I went north out of our works and prepared to turn 90 degrees into the westerly wind for the rest of the ride, I looked up at the slate grey sky in front of me with contempt and laughed at it :)
Simon Mason
Hull

First off, congrats on living in Hull and riding a bike. I read that Hull is the fattest place in Britain at the moment. Perhaps you ought to remind your bosses of this fact the next time they quail at the thought of (a) cycling and (b) getting wet whilst doing so.

Second, cycling in inclement weather is excellent! I think that cycling during the "winter months" is brilliant and have a bike set up for just that. I reckon there are plenty of fair-weather weenies who would rather bloat in bed than bash out some miles when it's windy, cold and raining.

Third, as my dad always says, coming home near freezing with no sensation in your feet, backside and hands is "character building" :D

I am mighty glad, however, that it's ten degrees warmer than
last week. What is it about my Carnac shoes that makes my
feet freeze?

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

"McBain_v1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> First off, congrats on living in Hull and riding a bike. I
> read that Hull is the fattest place in Britain at the
> moment. Perhaps you ought to remind your bosses of this
> fact the next time they quail at the thought of (a)
> cycling and (b) getting wet whilst doing so.

It's also the third cycling city after Cambridge and
Oxford. The obesity thing is questionable anyway. The data
used were Type 2 diabetes occurrences which are not always
related to obesity. The main problem with Hull is that
it's had a long tradition of eating fish and chips, which
isn't too bad if you've a manual job and bike to work.
It's when you keep eating the fatty foods but now no
longer go to sea hauling nets for 3 weeks, but sit at a
desk all day and slob in front of the telly watching East
Enders every night.

--
Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net