black helmets = heat...right?

alienator said:
Wow. You've got it all figured out. It must be beautiful to be you.

Alas, there's nothing subjective in your commentary, so it's worth less then the electrons with which it's conveyed.

Ahh, now come on little miss queenie be a little more lady like with your comments, you come across so mean.

Yeah Froze, don't you also know that a guy who rides twice a month who is 40 lbs overweight with a beer gut; but has a Louis Garneau team logo Jersey and a $3000 carbon fiber bike is much faster than a fit guy who rides five times a week while wearing a t-shirt on a $1200 aluminum bike. And, he's much "cooler" too !
Sheesh....get with the program man !:D

Chainringtattoo said:
Yeah Froze, don't you also know that a guy who rides twice a month who is 40 lbs overweight with a beer gut; but has a Louis Garneau team logo Jersey and a $3000 carbon fiber bike is much faster than a fit guy who rides five times a week on a $1200 aluminum bike while wearing a t-shirt. And, he's much "cooler" too !
Sheesh....get with the program man !:D

Specially on one of those $7,000 Lance Armstrong CF Trek's! Of course they had to put on tandem rims to handle the weight. But then the bike ends up like one of these: Busted Carbon

I really miss the days when cycling was not such a poseur sport. Alot of it seems such a fashion show anymore. not everybody, but there are alot of "cyclists" who look down at you if your helmet is a couple of years old, or if you are wearing a sleeveless Nike jersey sold at big-5. And YES, jerseys sold at regular sporting goods stores have the same cool wicking technology that cycling jerseys have. Nike, Under Armour, New Balance, Adidas, Pearl izumi, etc. If you look at the tags on almost all of these summer running or multi sport type jerseys they all say the fabric has been engineered to move moisture away and keep you cool during exercise. So I'm 100% with you there!

I do like the technology that bikes themselves have evolved into, but not the snooty attitudes of some people who are gear snobs when it comes to clothing, shoes, helmets, eyewear, etc. Its almost like your status as a cyclist is directly related to how much money you have spent at the bike shop, not what kind of rider you are.

I just like to go out and ride. and i guess got to just say screw what some others think. I been a cyclist for a long time so why let peoples whims matter.

Chainringtattoo said:
I really miss the days when cycling was not such a poseur sport. Alot of it seems such a fashion show anymore. not everybody, but there are alot of "cyclists" who look down at you if your helmet is a couple of years old, or if you are wearing a sleeveless Nike jersey sold at big-5. And YES, jerseys sold at regular sporting goods stores have the same cool wicking technology that cycling jerseys have. Nike, Under Armour, New Balance, Adidas, Pearl izumi, etc. If you look at the tags on almost all of these summer running or multi sport type jerseys they all say the fabric has been engineered to move moisture away and keep you cool during exercise. So I'm 100% with you there!

I do like the technology that bikes themselves have evolved into, but not the snooty attitudes of some people who are gear snobs when it comes to clothing, shoes, helmets, eyewear, etc. Its almost like your status as a cyclist is directly related to how much money you have spent at the bike shop, not what kind of rider you are.

I just like to go out and ride. and i guess got to just say screw what some others think. I been a cyclist for a long time so why let peoples whims matter.

I'm not sure how old you are but I use to race (cat3) between the mid 70's to mid 80's and I can tell you snobbery was well in place back then. I saw it a lot because I wasn't on Italian steeds nor did I wear the "outfits" they did.

Froze said:
I'm not sure how old you are but I use to race (cat3) between the mid 70's to mid 80's and I can tell you snobbery was well in place back then. I saw it a lot because I wasn't on Italian steeds nor did I wear the "outfits" they did.

Well I come from being a touring cyclist and then in the later eighties from a mountain bike riders perspective. So I did not see it that often. Back then mountain bike riders (and tourers too) were more of a accepting group. There was still alot of that old Bay area "hippie" feel to the sport. Mountain bikes were the antithesis to the roadie crowd in a way.

At least those cat 3s were actually active riders and maybe could at least back it up. Its the 210 lb weekend warrior type sticking his nose up you just because his wallet is bigger than yours that kills me.

Your right about the MTB's, it was a hippish type of thing when it got started. Yep and it was all about the money, those Italian steeds cost easily over $2,500 back then, and I was spending less then half that, and in the case of the Trek 412 less then a 4th! Yet I could still beat them on a good day. Money was in tight supply back then for me, I was attending college, had girl friends (who cost a lot!) cars and worked full time, lived in an apartment; all the snob bike jocks went to college too, owned cars, had girls BUT they didn't work and didn't pay any expenses because mommy and daddy saw to their every need.

I like stuff that works for its intended purpose. Once that is fulfilled I like cheap and discrete. But as long as i have #1 I'm willing to settle for two out of three. Have an old pair of T-mobile cycling tights. Got them out of a sale bin and didn't realize until way later that they were team clothing...

I'm developing a preference for function specific items though, because often the functionality suffer in the generic/alternate discipline stuff. Got a set of Windstopper tights meant for XC skiing last winter, thought they'd be OK for my winter riding. The saddle chafed them up something amazing in no time at all.

And new stuff, what's up with that? All stuff has been new at one time. I don't mind stuff showing signs of use, that's what it's for.

So we got this black and white thing going on, and some say it doesn't matter. Weelllll, a friend and I did a little experiment, though not related. He parked his white Lexus next to my black Z28 in a sunny parking lot, and we put in each car a mercury thermometer AND a steel spring thermometer. After the cars sat for two hours we checked the thermometers and my car was more the 20 degrees hotter then his. So then we said ok, lets drive both cars with the windows down and no air conditioning, my car was about 8 degrees hotter then his. Obviously this would be impossible to do while riding a bike and sticking a thermometer on your skin while you ride, but it does prove the black cars are hotter then white, which everyone here should have already known that.