Black Men Can't Climb re: White Man's Sport

"snjr" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > Since when does being a [black] baseball coach mean you are
qualified in
> > dermatology?
> >
> > Do a google search for a legitimate source.
>
> Okay, I did... here is what I found:
>
> http://www.vdare.com/sailer/dusty.htm
>
> I find it astonishing you would refute the expertise of Rusty Baker.
Are
> you black? If not, how can you possibly comment on the black
experience?

This from pubmed.......

Sun protection behaviors among African Americans.

Hall HI, Rogers JD.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30341, USA.

The anatomic distribution of some skin cancers suggests that sun exposure may be an etiologic factor
for skin cancer among African Americans. Yet little is known about sun protection behaviors among
African Americans. We analyzed data from the 1992 National Health Interview Survey (N = 1,583) to
determine the prevalence of sun protection behaviors and sun sensitivity. About 6% of African
Americans reported being extremely sensitive to the sun and severe sunburning, and 9% reported mild
burns. Overall, 53% of respondents (47% of men and 57% of women) reported that they were very likely
to wear protective clothing, seek shade, or use sunscreen lotion. Women were more likely than men to
report seeking shade and using sunscreen. Sun protection behaviors were more frequently reported by
those who sunburn more easily and were positively associated with age. Use of sunscreen was
positively associated with income and education. Education about sun protection and early detection
may help reduce the morbidity and mortality of skin cancer among African Americans.

PMID: 10355481 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

--------

Phil Holman

First off the use of the term "brothers" is a bit derogatory and not at all appropriate here.
However, this is an issue that I am interested in and one that, Andy Rooney, not so tactfully made
light of some years ago on 60 minutes and paid the price for, but was on the right track with.

When we talk about "black people" we need to consider their country of origin (in the present).
Clearly there are genetic differences for why blacks are uncommon in cycling, but let us not forget
the social differences as well, namely money and exposure; these I'll skip. For comparison purposes
I'll use the Kenyan's (clearly some of the best runners we've ever seen) and the U.S. track stars
and football players (pretty much the best power athletes we've seen). From these we see a huge
difference in abilities and build, yet they both ultimately come from the same continent (Africa).
However, to understand why they differ, consider their heritages.

Slavery has, unwittingly, played a major role in shaping the U.S., or in some respects North
American, black athlete. They were bred - like any other animal, humans can be bred for certain
traits, or naturally selected to be hardier, stockier, stronger and just plain more powerful because
they were meant to be laborers, while there brethren in Africa maintained the same "lifestyle" and
environment; i.e., Africans, like most early humans were meant for "endurance" work. So if we look
at from these angles, we see that U.S. blacks have a greater likelihood of taking of cycling (do to
economics and exposure), but are ill-suited (IN GENERAL), while African blacks are better suited but
are highly unlikely to take part in cycling for innumerable reasons. Slave breeding also has had an
impact on black health, as well; slaves who could better retain sodium, and hence water, had higher
survival rates on ships. Unfortunately, descendants have higher rates of high blood pressure.

As far as skin color in concerned, the stockier build of American blacks likely lends itself to heat
retention much more than color because ALL skin (white or black) is a near perfect black radiator,
absorbing over 97% of the heat radiation directed at it. White or black, we all "suck up heat" –
Tri-athletes take note and put a shirt on!

CH

chris wrote:

> For comparison purposes I'll use the Kenyan's (clearly some of the best runners we've ever seen)
> and the U.S. track stars and football players (pretty much the best power athletes we've seen).
> From these we see a huge difference in abilities and build, yet they both ultimately come from the
> same continent (Africa). However, to understand why they differ, consider their heritages.
>
> Slavery has, unwittingly, played a major role in shaping the U.S., or in some respects North
> American, black athlete. They were bred - like any other animal, humans can be bred for certain
> traits, or naturally selected to be hardier, stockier, stronger and just plain more powerful
> because they were meant to be laborers, while there brethren in Africa maintained the same
> "lifestyle" and environment; i.e., Africans, like most early humans were meant for "endurance"
> work. So if we look at from these angles, we see that U.S. blacks have a greater likelihood of
> taking of cycling (do to economics and exposure), but are ill-suited (IN GENERAL), while African
> blacks are better suited but are highly unlikely to take part in cycling for innumerable reasons.
> Slave breeding also has had an impact on black health, as well; slaves who could better retain
> sodium, and hence water, had higher survival rates on ships. Unfortunately, descendants have
> higher rates of high blood pressure.

There is a big genetic difference between people from West Africa (where most ex slaves came from)
and East Africa where most African endurance athletes come from. West Africa is renowned for
producing power athletes such as track sprinters and powerful footballers (football as in soccer in
America), while East Africa (including Kenya, Ethiopia and Morocco) produce some of the best
endurance runners in the world (however it may be worth pointing out that the attributes that make a
top endurance runner are not necessarily the same as those required for a top cyclist).

The reason blacks and other minorities haven't been successful in cycling is due to historical and socioeconomic levels and not physiology.

Historically, cycling's roots are very European. During the 1800s and early 1900s, the sport evolved in France and Belgium, not many blacks lived in these countries at the time and my guess would be less than 5%. And with the exeption of Major Taylor, the world champion black cyclist from the US, there were no other black cyclists of his ability competing in Europe. Taylor, from the US, had to overcome a lot of racism during that time period of competing in the US as well. Slavery was another factor that limited blacks from competing in ANY sport in the US, let alone cycling.

Cycling is also a very expensive sport. Its not like going down to the YMCA and getting signing up for a basketball league. Its not like picking up a basketball and heading over to the neighborhood courts. Its certainly not an inner-city sport. And getting into a USCF license and just entering a race these days is how much? Ridiculous if you ask me.

A very entertaining and informative resource for information on this very topic is "Hearts of
Lions." You will find that during the early 1900's the Europeans were coming here to race! In the
early days, cycling's roots were not so European as you might imagine!

"BaCardi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> The reason blacks and other minorities haven't been successful in cycling is due to historical and
> socioeconomic levels and not physiology.
>
> Historically, cycling's roots are very European. During the 1800s and early 1900s, the sport
> evolved in France and Belgium, not many blacks lived in these countries at the time and my guess
> would be less than 5%. And with the exeption of Major Taylor, the world champion black cyclist
> from the US, there were no other black cyclists of his ability competing in Europe. Taylor, from
> the US, had to overcome a lot of racism during that time period of competing in the US as well.
> Slavery was another factor that limited blacks from competing in ANY sport in the US, let alone
> cycling.
>
> Cycling is also a very expensive sport. Its not like going down to the YMCA and getting signing up
> for a basketball league. Its not like picking up a basketball and heading over to the neighborhood
> courts. Its certainly not an inner-city sport. And getting into a USCF license and just entering a
> race these days is how much? Ridiculous if you ask me.

"Aarron Canino" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> A very entertaining and informative resource for information on this very topic is "Hearts of
> Lions." You will find that during the early 1900's
the
> Europeans were coming here to race! In the early days, cycling's roots
were
> not so European as you might imagine!

Excellent reading! "Hearts of Lions: The Story of American Bicycle Racing", by Peter Nye and
Eric Heiden

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0393305767/qid=1061319811/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_5/104-48280-
64-8687145?v=glance&s=books#product-details

Dashii

BaCardi <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> The reason blacks and other minorities haven't been successful in cycling is due to historical and
> socioeconomic levels and not physiology.

Despite your information (somewhat inaccurate since the USA was the center for big time bicycle
racing though most of the early part of the 20th century) I have to point out that "that was then
and this is now".

Blacks are not living in ghettos or being forced out of cycling because of their race.

Generally speaking, to blacks, sports are nothing more than a means to an end - a way out of the
lower classes and into the big money. That means that you can expect lower class blacks to be
involved in the sports that attract the attention of the lower classes.

You'll note that there simply are very small numbers of black golfers, black tennis players and
black cyclists because these are sports less likely to come to the attention of blacks and not
because of any physical limitations.

This is changing over time as blacks integrate more thoroughly into American society but it is silly
to expect things to happen overnight.

Even though most of us here would welcome more black participation.