Black Sapim spokes better?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Derk Drukker, Mar 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derk Drukker

    Derk Drukker Guest

    Hi!

    This afternoon the 12 year old rim of my rearwheel suddenly collapsed.

    I have a new 36 spokes, ultegra, CXP 33 wheelset built. The person who'll do this recommended me the
    black Sapim spokes, "because they are stronger".

    Is there any truth in it, or is this just humbug?

    Greets, Derk
     
    Tags:


  2. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    I hope that it's not the same person that built the wheelset that collapsed.

    The spokes won't make much difference. The quality spoke makers all make decent stuff. Why would
    black be stronger? My black DT spokes just made my hands dirty when I was building the wheel.

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 23:02:11 +0100, Derk Drukker
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi!
    >
    >This afternoon the 12 year old rim of my rearwheel suddenly collapsed.
    >
    >I have a new 36 spokes, ultegra, CXP 33 wheelset built. The person who'll do this recommended me
    >the black Sapim spokes, "because they are stronger".
    >
    >Is there any truth in it, or is this just humbug?
    >
    >Greets, Derk
     
  3. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    Exactly..likely, that's the only colour the guy has in stock as well...and they usually cost more..

    Cheers,

    Scott..
    --
    Scott Anderson

    "Paul Kopit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I hope that it's not the same person that built the wheelset that collapsed.
    >
    > The spokes won't make much difference. The quality spoke makers all make decent stuff. Why would
    > black be stronger? My black DT spokes just made my hands dirty when I was building the wheel.
     
  4. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    > "because they are stronger".

    Stronger than what? Silver Sapim's or black DT etc.? I do have very good experiences with Sapim Race
    spokes which accidently all were black, but i doubt the color will make much difference.

    "Derk Drukker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Hi!
    >
    > This afternoon the 12 year old rim of my rearwheel suddenly collapsed.
    >
    > I have a new 36 spokes, ultegra, CXP 33 wheelset built. The person who'll do this recommended me
    > the black Sapim spokes, "because they are stronger".
    >
    > Is there any truth in it, or is this just humbug?
    >
    > Greets, Derk
     
  5. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    "Derk Drukker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Hi!
    >
    > This afternoon the 12 year old rim of my rearwheel suddenly collapsed.
    >
    > I have a new 36 spokes, ultegra, CXP 33 wheelset built. The person who'll do this recommended me
    > the black Sapim spokes, "because they are stronger".
    >
    > Is there any truth in it, or is this just humbug?

    Maybe they were just recommending Sapim spokes in general (regardless of color), since they
    supposedly have a very high yield tension?

    Andy Coggan
     
  6. On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 23:02:11 +0100, Derk Drukker did issue forth:

    > I have a new 36 spokes, ultegra, CXP 33 wheelset built. The person who'll do this recommended me
    > the black Sapim spokes, "because they are stronger".
    >
    > Is there any truth in it, or is this just humbug?

    They're not stronger, but due to the minute air currents created by the heat radiated by the black
    surface, they will make you go faster.

    --
    Huw Pritchard Replace bounce with huw to reply by mail
     
  7. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 23:02:11 +0100, Derk Drukker did issue forth:
    >
    > > I have a new 36 spokes, ultegra, CXP 33 wheelset built. The person
    who'll
    > > do this recommended me the black Sapim spokes, "because they are stronger".
    > >
    > > Is there any truth in it, or is this just humbug?
    >
    > They're not stronger, but due to the minute air currents created by the heat radiated by the black
    > surface, they will make you go faster.
    >
    Is THAT why zebras can run so fast when chased by a lion? I always wondered about that.

    Mike

    > --
    > Huw Pritchard Replace bounce with huw to reply by mail
     
  8. Kinkycowboy

    Kinkycowboy Guest

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 03:41:14 GMT, "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    >"Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 23:02:11 +0100, Derk Drukker did issue forth:
    >>
    >> > I have a new 36 spokes, ultegra, CXP 33 wheelset built. The person
    >who'll
    >> > do this recommended me the black Sapim spokes, "because they are stronger".
    >> >
    >> > Is there any truth in it, or is this just humbug?
    >>
    >> They're not stronger, but due to the minute air currents created by the heat radiated by the
    >> black surface, they will make you go faster.
    >>
    >Is THAT why zebras can run so fast when chased by a lion? I always wondered about that.
    >
    >Mike
    >
    >
    >> --
    >> Huw Pritchard Replace bounce with huw to reply by mail
    >>
    >

    Actually, the zebras (and Mario Cipollini) use a different effect; the black stripes are painted on
    top of the white base coat, causing small ridges. The boundary layer turbulence caused by the edges
    of these small ridges allows the boundary layer to adhere to the suface further back towards the
    trailing edge, reducing induced drag.

    Kinky Cowboy

    *Your milage may vary Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts.
     
  9. d drucker- << I have a new 36 spokes, ultegra, CXP 33 wheelset built. The person who'll do this
    recommended me the black Sapim spokes, "because they are stronger".

    Add to myth and legend file. Hard to get a poor spoke these days from the major makers-Alpina,
    Sapin, DT, Wheelsmith all make good spokes and certainly the color has nothin' to so with it.

    Have the wheel builder pick the components according to you and your riding needs, have the builder
    build it well...

    'Conventional wheels built exceptionally well' is the key...

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"
     
  10. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    >
    >
    >Hi!
    >
    >This afternoon the 12 year old rim of my rearwheel suddenly collapsed.
    >
    >I have a new 36 spokes, ultegra, CXP 33 wheelset built. The person who'll do this recommended
    >me the black Sapim spokes, "because they are stronger". Is there any truth in it, or is this
    >just humbug?

    humbug. Also, what makes you think you need stronger spokes? A stronger spoke will not necessarily
    make a wheel that can support more weight.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)
     
  11. Derk Drukker

    Derk Drukker Guest

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 17:21:09 +0100, Alex Rodriguez wrote:

    > humbug. Also, what makes you think you need stronger spokes? A stronger spoke will not necessarily
    > make a wheel that can support more weight.
    I don't need that, since I weigh only 70kg's, but I am looking for a spoke that:
    1) Has a long life
    2) can support sprinting against hills

    Most of the times I had a broken spoke, it was after shifting gears while climbing a steep hill
    in France.

    Greets, Derk
     
  12. Derk Drukker

    Derk Drukker Guest

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 18:15:18 +0100, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

    > Cuz yer in france...
    It's not *that* far from Italy! :)

    Greets, Derk
     
  13. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Derk Drukker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 17:21:09 +0100, Alex Rodriguez wrote:
    >
    >
    > > humbug. Also, what makes you think you need stronger spokes? A stronger spoke will not
    > > necessarily make a wheel that can support more weight.
    > I don't need that, since I weigh only 70kg's, but I am looking for a spoke that:
    > 1) Has a long life
    > 2) can support sprinting against hills
    >
    I know this is a translation thing, but I really hope that you always beat the hills in a sprint!
    Last I saw, hills don't sprint very well...

    > Most of the times I had a broken spoke, it was after shifting gears while climbing a steep hill
    > in France.
    >
    > Greets, Derk
     
  14. Derk Drukker

    Derk Drukker Guest

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 19:09:40 +0100, Mike S. wrote:

    > I know this is a translation thing, but I really hope that you always beat the hills in a sprint!
    > Last I saw, hills don't sprint very well...
    :)) You're probably right! How would you say that in English: sprinting
    up hills?

    Greets, Derk
     
  15. I just built a series of wheels with the new black Sapim 14/15 race spokes. I don't know about the
    wheels running any faster, but they sure look great. It was my first experience with Sapim and the
    wheels built up uneventfully fine. I did notice that the black spokes made it a lot easier to see if
    there were any extra parts left over, after the wheels were built. The blue spoke-prep was striking
    against the dramatic ebony finish of the spokes. It made the wheel balance a lot better.... :)

    After the first 5,000 miles, we can then argue and wager on how long the wheels will last. If I
    change the wheel bearing grease regularly, will the spokes last longer?

    Bruce

    "Derk Drukker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Hi!
    >
    > This afternoon the 12 year old rim of my rearwheel suddenly collapsed.
    >
    > I have a new 36 spokes, ultegra, CXP 33 wheelset built. The person who'll do this recommended me
    > the black Sapim spokes, "because they are stronger".
    >
    > Is there any truth in it, or is this just humbug?
    >
    > Greets, Derk
     
  16. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Bruce Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I just built a series of wheels with the new black Sapim 14/15 race
    spokes.
    > I don't know about the wheels running any faster, but they sure look
    great.
    > It was my first experience with Sapim and the wheels built up uneventfully fine. I did notice that
    > the black spokes made it a lot easier to see if there were any extra parts left over, after the
    > wheels were built. The
    blue
    > spoke-prep was striking against the dramatic ebony finish of the spokes.
    It
    > made the wheel balance a lot better.... :)
    >
    > After the first 5,000 miles, we can then argue and wager on how long the wheels will last. If I
    > change the wheel bearing grease regularly, will the spokes last longer?
    >
    > Bruce
    >
    Only if you've tied the spokes in a square knot, then soldered them, AND you're in the southern
    hemisphere.

    Mike
    >
    >
    > "Derk Drukker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]...
    > > Hi!
    > >
    > > This afternoon the 12 year old rim of my rearwheel suddenly collapsed.
    > >
    > > I have a new 36 spokes, ultegra, CXP 33 wheelset built. The person
    who'll
    > > do this recommended me the black Sapim spokes, "because they are stronger".
    > >
    > > Is there any truth in it, or is this just humbug?
    > >
    > > Greets, Derk
     
  17. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Derk Drukker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 19:09:40 +0100, Mike S. wrote:
    >
    > > I know this is a translation thing, but I really hope that you always beat the hills in a
    > > sprint! Last I saw, hills don't sprint very well...
    > :)) You're probably right! How would you say that in English: sprinting
    > up hills?
    >

    Yup. Something I have absolutely no desire to do!

    Mike

    > Greets, Derk
     
  18. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 17:21:09 +0100, Alex Rodriguez wrote:
    > > humbug. Also, what makes you think you need stronger spokes? A stronger spoke will not
    > > necessarily make a wheel that can support more weight.
    > I don't need that, since I weigh only 70kg's, but I am looking for a spoke that:
    > 1) Has a long life
    > 2) can support sprinting against hills

    "Derk Drukker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Most of the times I had a broken spoke, it was after shifting gears while climbing a steep hill
    > in France.

    So the reason I haven't ever broken a spoke is that I do not ride in France??

    --
    Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971
     
  19. Derk Drukker

    Derk Drukker Guest

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 02:38:45 +0100, A Muzi wrote:

    >> Most of the times I had a broken spoke, it was after shifting gears while climbing a steep hill
    >> in France.
    > So the reason I haven't ever broken a spoke is that I do not ride in France??
    Gramatically one needs a word like "because" to indicate a reason why something happens. This word
    is missing here, so this sentence doesn't mean "the risk is great to break spokes while cycling in
    France", but "it was in France while cycling up a steep hill (in France onefinds steep climbs: in
    Holland we don't have those, so stress will be less om spokes) that I had broken spokes". But you
    are right: for non-Dutch readers I could have left the "in France" part out, but then again Dutch
    readers would have complained: "how is that possible? We don't have steep climbs here, so that can't
    be true". Just like the mail I wrote about Connex chains where one asks information about these
    chains and I give my own experiences with it. Then you start getting mails from people who say that
    they have never had problems, so I must be lying.......

    Greets, Derk
     
  20. Alan

    Alan Guest

    > After the first 5,000 miles, we can then argue and wager on how long the wheels will last. If I
    > change the wheel bearing grease regularly, will the spokes last longer?
    >
    Sorry but how/why would changing the wheel bearing make the spokes last longer? It'll likely make
    your hub roll smoother and last longer though.

    alan
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...