Blackburn Airstik AS1

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by S o r n i, Jul 21, 2004.

  1. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Apologies if this is a completely stupid question but I'm returning to
    > cycling after several years break. I've just bought a Blackburn
    > Airstik and it says it works with presta & schrader valves. The
    > instructions are missing from the box, does the pump fit both type of
    > valves "as-is" or do I need some sort of adapter (given the
    > instructions are missing I'm wondering if the adapter is missing too)?

    Some pumps do work as is on the two valve types, I believe, but more often
    than not you have to switch a little rubber thingy inside the pump head to
    match the tubes you're using.

    Bill "practice on some spares before heading out" S.

    Tags:

  2. Hi,

    Apologies if this is a completely stupid question but I'm returning to
    cycling after several years break. I've just bought a Blackburn Airstik
    and it says it works with presta & schrader valves. The instructions are
    missing from the box, does the pump fit both type of valves "as-is" or do
    I need some sort of adapter (given the instructions are missing I'm
    wondering if the adapter is missing too)?

    Thanks,

    Steve.

  3. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi,
    >
    > Apologies if this is a completely stupid question but I'm returning to
    > cycling after several years break. I've just bought a Blackburn Airstik
    > and it says it works with presta & schrader valves. The instructions are
    > missing from the box, does the pump fit both type of valves "as-is" or do
    > I need some sort of adapter (given the instructions are missing I'm
    > wondering if the adapter is missing too)?

    There's likely a screw off plastic cap/ring on/around the bit that goes over
    the valve. Unscrew that, pull out the rubber part, then the plastic part
    underneath. Turn plastic part over and replace, same for the rubber part,
    screw cap thingy back on. It is now able to receive Channel 5.

    Shaun aRe - All the above is likely correct, except for the miracle bit.

  4. [email protected] said:

    > Apologies if this is a completely stupid question but I'm returning to
    > cycling after several years break. I've just bought a Blackburn Airstik
    > and it says it works with presta & schrader valves. The instructions are
    > missing from the box, does the pump fit both type of valves "as-is" or do
    > I need some sort of adapter (given the instructions are missing I'm
    > wondering if the adapter is missing too)?

    Congratulations on being able to find a Blackburn pump. For some reason
    an AirTower 5 floor pump that I ordered has been on backorder since
    February 2005.

  5. Shaun aRe

    Shaun aRe Guest

    > [email protected] said:
    >
    > > Apologies if this is a completely stupid question but I'm returning to
    > > cycling after several years break. I've just bought a Blackburn Airstik
    > > and it says it works with presta & schrader valves. The instructions are
    > > missing from the box, does the pump fit both type of valves "as-is" or

    do
    > > I need some sort of adapter (given the instructions are missing I'm
    > > wondering if the adapter is missing too)?

    Didn't see the OP, dunno if it was answered, but here goes - mostly those
    pumps have a screw on cap at the air out end. Removing that cap should
    expose a large rubber grommet, behind which is a plastic part that can be
    removed and flipped over for the different kinds of valve. The grommet also
    usually needs to be flipped over. Narrow hole side of grommet outwards, and
    plastic part with the protruding centre 'post/pillar' facing into the pump -
    Presta. Wide hole outwards, protruding pillar on plastic part outwards =
    Schrader.

    HTH!

    Shaun aRe
    --
    May all your wishes be both wise and fulfilled.