Blackburn Pump Problem

YannisG

Aug 31, 2004
I have bought quite a few blackburn pumps; at least 5 AS-1, air stik from Nashbar and/or Performancebike.

They a small and efficient.

However, I have ran into a serious problems with them. On occasions, when I needed the pump it didn't work because the the valves and springs were rusty. One time I was able to work them loose, but the next time, not on the same pump, I couldn't get the pump to work. I was alone and therefore got stuck.

It doesn't rain that much where I am, and there is not much humidity.
Does anyone have some advice for this problem.
I sent them two emails, but they never responded.

Many thanks,
YannisG

Try spraying a silicone lubericant into the air intake of your new pump. This will coat the springs and valves and help seal them against moisture. This is strange that this has happened to you. I have a cheap Blackburn that is about 12 years old and have not had any trouble with it. I live in good old HUMID SW Ohio and have ridden with the pump for long extended periods in HUMID and RAINY coastal South Carolina. Never had a corrosion problem yet.

kdelong said:
Try spraying a silicone lubericant into the air intake of your new pump. This will coat the springs and valves and help seal them against moisture. This is strange that this has happened to you. I have a cheap Blackburn that is about 12 years old and have not had any trouble with it. I live in good old HUMID SW Ohio and have ridden with the pump for long extended periods in HUMID and RAINY coastal South Carolina. Never had a corrosion problem yet.
Thanks for yr reply.
I looked at an older blackburn pump that has never given me a problem and the valve system was simple and made of plastic. I don't no why the new pumps I had had metal valves and springs. I give the silicon spray a try, and put it on my maintenance list.
Thanks again
YannisG