Blackburn velo this morning

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by DaveB, Dec 22, 2005.

  1. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    With a triathlon on next week it was time to refit the tri bars and get
    in some practice. So I headed off to Blackburn velo this morning to do a
    bit of a time trial. It's about 40 mins ride from my place but it's the
    only flat spot around for me. So I get there and what do I find but a
    heap of riders of various speeds and abilities and half of them on tri
    bars. The bloody place had been taken over by triathletes! Hell, I'm not
    riding on a velodrome with triathletes, so I turned around and went home. :(

    DaveB

    Tags:

  2. GPLama

    GPLama Guest

    "DaveB" wrote in message ...
    > bars. The bloody place had been taken over by triathletes! Hell, I'm not
    > riding on a velodrome with triathletes, so I turned around and went home.
    > :(

    bah! Get out there and rip em up... put ph33r into them!!!

    cheers,
    GPL

  3. Deest

    Deest New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2005
    Errr..so you're a triathlete with tri bars but don't want to train on a velodrome with other triathletes with tri bars. OK that makes sense. An approach to training I've never thought of before..."I'm a roadie...shit there's another roadie on the road...I'm going home":)

  4. JayWoo

    JayWoo New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2004
    Hey DaveB (or anyone else) have you ridden Brunswick Velo? How's it compared to Blackburn (if you have)?
    Maybe a quick poll: ppl's thoughts on their fav Melb outdoor Velo.

    Jay "Thread hi-jacker' Woo

  5. dave

    dave Guest

    JayWoo wrote:
    > DaveB Wrote:
    >
    >>I headed off to Blackburn velo this morning to do a
    >>bit of a time trial.
    >>DaveB

    > Hey DaveB (or anyone else) have you ridden Brunswick Velo? How's it
    > compared to Blackburn (if you have)?
    > Maybe a quick poll: ppl's thoughts on their fav Melb outdoor Velo.
    >
    > Jay "Thread hi-jacker' Woo

    Hawthorn..

    +s Its 2 klicks away
    it has some nice people

    -s Everything else

    Dave

  6. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Hawthorn is a great location, accessible but let down badly by a shite surface/construction and fenced only approx 40% the way around. 'usually ' not a problem altho 2 entry points mean plenty of plonkers and feckin trihardletes totally deoid of the ability to ride straight or mainain the same speed can spoil it

  7. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:

    > Hawthorn is a great location, accessible but let down badly by a shite
    > surface/construction and fenced only approx 40% the way around.
    > 'usually ' not a problem altho 2 entry points mean plenty of plonkers
    > and feckin trihardletes totally deoid of the ability to ride straight
    > or mainain the same speed can spoil it

    Yeah, but can they spell?

    Theo

  8. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    JayWoo wrote:
    > DaveB Wrote:
    > > I headed off to Blackburn velo this morning to do a
    > > bit of a time trial.
    > > DaveB

    > Hey DaveB (or anyone else) have you ridden Brunswick Velo? How's it
    > compared to Blackburn (if you have)?

    It's very steep. Not good if wet.

  9. dave

    dave Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > dave Wrote:
    >
    >>Hawthorn..
    >>
    >>+s Its 2 klicks away
    >>it has some nice people
    >>
    >>-s Everything else
    >>

    >>Dave

    > Hawthorn is a great location, accessible but let down badly by a shite
    > surface/construction and fenced only approx 40% the way around.
    > 'usually ' not a problem altho 2 entry points mean plenty of plonkers
    > and feckin trihardletes totally deoid of the ability to ride straight
    > or mainain the same speed can spoil it

    Which is exactly what I said :)

  10. Deest

    Deest New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2005
    Agreed. I found Hawthon not so much as a velodrome as a playground with bumpy concrete around the outside of it

    Chelsea's a nice one. Similar to Blackburn but an even nicer surface. Out of the way though.

    Preston is very "easy". Hardly a bank. Surface only a littler better than Hawthorn. But at least it's quiet and you don't get people playing baseball in the middle.

    Coburg is a doozy. Full size with big banks. It's locked though and a chain lies across the back straight if you do manage to jump the fence and get in.

  11. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > dave Wrote:
    > >
    > > Hawthorn..
    > >
    > > +s Its 2 klicks away
    > > it has some nice people
    > >
    > > -s Everything else
    > >

    > > Dave

    > Hawthorn is a great location, accessible but let down badly by a shite
    > surface/construction

    I don't think the surface is a problem. Real roads are far worse, it's
    got 2 small bumps. We use it all the time for interval work.

  12. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2005-12-23, Deest (aka Bruce)

    > DaveB Wrote:
    >> With a triathlon on next week it was time to refit the tri bars and get
    >> in some practice. So I headed off to Blackburn velo this morning to do
    >> bit of a time trial. It's about 40 mins ride from my place but it's
    >> the
    >> only flat spot around for me. So I get there and what do I find but a
    >> heap of riders of various speeds and abilities and half of them on tri
    >> bars. The bloody place had been taken over by triathletes! Hell, I'm
    >> not
    >> riding on a velodrome with triathletes, so I turned around and went
    >> home. :(
    >>
    >> DaveB

    > Errr..so you're a triathlete with tri bars but don't want to train on
    > a velodrome with other triathletes with tri bars. OK that makes sense.
    > An approach to training I've never thought of before..."I'm a
    > roadie...shit there's another roadie on the road...I'm going home":)

    That's why roadies don't smile at you.

    "Oh, shit, here's a roadie coming! I've got to hide. OMG! Arggggh!"

    --
    TimC
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics