Blackburn velo this morning

DaveB

Guest
With a triathlon on next week it was time to refit the tri bars and get
in some practice. So I headed off to Blackburn velo this morning to do a
bit of a time trial. It's about 40 mins ride from my place but it's the
only flat spot around for me. So I get there and what do I find but a
heap of riders of various speeds and abilities and half of them on tri
bars. The bloody place had been taken over by triathletes! Hell, I'm not
riding on a velodrome with triathletes, so I turned around and went home. :(

DaveB

"DaveB" wrote in message ...
> bars. The bloody place had been taken over by triathletes! Hell, I'm not
> riding on a velodrome with triathletes, so I turned around and went home.
> :(

bah! Get out there and rip em up... put ph33r into them!!!

cheers,
GPL

DaveB said:
With a triathlon on next week it was time to refit the tri bars and get
in some practice. So I headed off to Blackburn velo this morning to do a
bit of a time trial. It's about 40 mins ride from my place but it's the
only flat spot around for me. So I get there and what do I find but a
heap of riders of various speeds and abilities and half of them on tri
bars. The bloody place had been taken over by triathletes! Hell, I'm not
riding on a velodrome with triathletes, so I turned around and went home. :(

DaveB
Errr..so you're a triathlete with tri bars but don't want to train on a velodrome with other triathletes with tri bars. OK that makes sense. An approach to training I've never thought of before..."I'm a roadie...**** there's another roadie on the road...I'm going home":)

DaveB said:
I headed off to Blackburn velo this morning to do a
bit of a time trial.
DaveB
Hey DaveB (or anyone else) have you ridden Brunswick Velo? How's it compared to Blackburn (if you have)?
Maybe a quick poll: ppl's thoughts on their fav Melb outdoor Velo.

Jay "Thread hi-jacker' Woo

JayWoo wrote:
> DaveB Wrote:
>
>>I headed off to Blackburn velo this morning to do a
>>bit of a time trial.
>>DaveB

> Hey DaveB (or anyone else) have you ridden Brunswick Velo? How's it
> compared to Blackburn (if you have)?
> Maybe a quick poll: ppl's thoughts on their fav Melb outdoor Velo.
>
> Jay "Thread hi-jacker' Woo

Hawthorn..

+s Its 2 klicks away
it has some nice people

-s Everything else

Dave

dave said:
Hawthorn..

+s Its 2 klicks away
it has some nice people

-s Everything else

Dave

Hawthorn is a great location, accessible but let down badly by a shite surface/construction and fenced only approx 40% the way around. 'usually ' not a problem altho 2 entry points mean plenty of plonkers and feckin trihardletes totally deoid of the ability to ride straight or mainain the same speed can spoil it

flyingdutch wrote:

> Hawthorn is a great location, accessible but let down badly by a shite
> surface/construction and fenced only approx 40% the way around.
> 'usually ' not a problem altho 2 entry points mean plenty of plonkers
> and feckin trihardletes totally deoid of the ability to ride straight
> or mainain the same speed can spoil it

Yeah, but can they spell?

Theo

JayWoo wrote:
> DaveB Wrote:
> > I headed off to Blackburn velo this morning to do a
> > bit of a time trial.
> > DaveB

> Hey DaveB (or anyone else) have you ridden Brunswick Velo? How's it
> compared to Blackburn (if you have)?

It's very steep. Not good if wet.

Which is exactly what I said :)

flyingdutch said:
Hawthorn is a great location, accessible but let down badly by a shite surface/construction and fenced only approx 40% the way around. 'usually ' not a problem altho 2 entry points mean plenty of plonkers and feckin trihardletes totally deoid of the ability to ride straight or mainain the same speed can spoil it
Agreed. I found Hawthon not so much as a velodrome as a playground with bumpy concrete around the outside of it

Chelsea's a nice one. Similar to Blackburn but an even nicer surface. Out of the way though.

Preston is very "easy". Hardly a bank. Surface only a littler better than Hawthorn. But at least it's quiet and you don't get people playing baseball in the middle.

Coburg is a doozy. Full size with big banks. It's locked though and a chain lies across the back straight if you do manage to jump the fence and get in.

flyingdutch wrote:
> dave Wrote:
> >
> > Hawthorn..
> >
> > +s Its 2 klicks away
> > it has some nice people
> >
> > -s Everything else
> >

> > Dave

> Hawthorn is a great location, accessible but let down badly by a shite
> surface/construction

I don't think the surface is a problem. Real roads are far worse, it's
got 2 small bumps. We use it all the time for interval work.

On 2005-12-23, Deest (aka Bruce)

> DaveB Wrote:
>> With a triathlon on next week it was time to refit the tri bars and get
>> in some practice. So I headed off to Blackburn velo this morning to do
>> bit of a time trial. It's about 40 mins ride from my place but it's
>> the
>> only flat spot around for me. So I get there and what do I find but a
>> heap of riders of various speeds and abilities and half of them on tri
>> bars. The bloody place had been taken over by triathletes! Hell, I'm
>> not
>> riding on a velodrome with triathletes, so I turned around and went
>> home. :(
>>
>> DaveB

> Errr..so you're a triathlete with tri bars but don't want to train on
> a velodrome with other triathletes with tri bars. OK that makes sense.
> An approach to training I've never thought of before..."I'm a
> roadie...**** there's another roadie on the road...I'm going home":)

That's why roadies don't smile at you.

"Oh, ****, here's a roadie coming! I've got to hide. OMG! Arggggh!"

--
TimC
According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics