Blackish gunk smeared on leg (not globs, just smears)

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by PreciousBbird, Aug 25, 2003.

  1. PreciousBbird

    PreciousBbird New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2003
    Hi all:

    I just had my HepCat adjusted (cables had stretched - it is still pretty darn new) and they lubed the chain, too. I guess this was happening before the new lube, too, but now I just really noticed it because I got it on my ivory-colored upholstery - why do I get so much black junk on the inside of my calf? I think the chain must be hitting my leg, but I don't notice it when I'm riding. I even got a little on my leg right above my knee (on the inside). Is there:

    1). A way to avoid getting it on my leg (I like to wear shorts), so if there is a mechanical rather than a fashion solution, that would be better
    2). A way to easily remove it from my leg - soap doesn't work that great, even if I scrub.

    Thank you. :)

    Tags:

  2. Fraggle

    Fraggle Guest

    PreciousBbird <[email protected]> wrote in news:3f4a8109$1_4 @news.chariot.net.au:

    > Hi all: <chain gunk on my leg!>

    as oil on the outside of your chain does not do anything I would say the best solution was to take a
    lint free cloth and run the chain through it until it stops giving up gunk.

    Fragg

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Try White Lightning. It leaves no gunk only a clear wax. "PreciousBbird" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all:
    >
    > I just had my HepCat adjusted (cables had stretched - it is still pretty darn new) and they lubed
    > the chain, too. I guess this was happening before the new lube, too, but now I just really noticed
    > it because I got it on my ivory-colored upholstery - why do I get so much black junk on the inside
    > of my calf? I think the chain must be hitting my leg, but I don't notice it when I'm riding. I
    > even got a little on my leg right above my knee (on the inside). Is there:
    >
    > 1). A way to avoid getting it on my leg (I like to wear shorts), so if there is a mechanical
    > rather than a fashion solution, that would be better
    > 2). A way to easily remove it from my leg - soap doesn't work that great, even if I scrub.
    >
    > Thank you. :)

  4. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    Fraggle <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > PreciousBbird <[email protected]> wrote in news:3f4a8109$1_4 @news.chariot.net.au:
    >
    > > Hi all: <chain gunk on my leg!>
    >
    > as oil on the outside of your chain does not do anything I would say the best solution was to take
    > a lint free cloth and run the chain through it until it stops giving up gunk.
    >

    > Fragg

    Ditto. Oil on the outside of the chain is just excess and a dirt-attractor. I wipe my chain down
    with a shop rag soaked in kerosene after the first couple rides post-lube.

    Jeff

  5. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

    "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in news:4cy2b.15454$Ih1.5041228 @newssrv26.news.prodigy.com:

    > Try White Lightning. It leaves no gunk only a clear wax. "PreciousBbird" <[email protected]>
    > wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Hi all:
    >>
    >> I just had my HepCat adjusted (cables had stretched - it is still pretty darn new) and they lubed
    >> the chain, too. I guess this was happening before the new lube, too, but now I just really
    >> noticed it because I got it on my ivory-colored upholstery - why do I get so much black junk on
    >> the inside of my calf? I think the chain must be hitting my leg, but I don't notice it when I'm
    >> riding. I even got a little on my leg right above my knee (on the inside). Is there:
    >>
    >> 1). A way to avoid getting it on my leg (I like to wear shorts), so if there is a mechanical
    >> rather than a fashion solution, that would be better
    >> 2). A way to easily remove it from my leg - soap doesn't work that great, even if I scrub.
    >>
    >> Thank you. :)
    >>

    >> --

    After a solid year of weekly lubes, my TT still made black marks on my legs, using White Lightning.

  6. "PreciousBbird" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all:
    > 1). A way to avoid getting it on my leg (I like to wear shorts), so if there is a mechanical
    > rather than a fashion solution, that would be better

    Use 15mm PA or Teflon tubing as a chainguard.

    > 2). A way to easily remove it from my leg - soap doesn't work that great, even if I scrub.

    Mechanic's hand soap (It's called Plum here (Denmark)).

    Torben

  7. Peter Frank

    Peter Frank Guest

    "Torben Scheel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "PreciousBbird" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi all:
    > > 1). A way to avoid getting it on my leg (I like to wear shorts), so if there is a mechanical
    > > rather than a fashion solution, that would be better
    >
    > Use 15mm PA or Teflon tubing as a chainguard.
    >
    > > 2). A way to easily remove it from my leg - soap doesn't work that great, even if I scrub.
    >
    > Mechanic's hand soap (It's called Plum here (Denmark)).
    >
    > Torben

    Try dish soap to get the mark off of your leg. It's easy to find.

    Peter

  8. Rick Moll

    Rick Moll Guest

    Torben Scheel wrote:
    > "PreciousBbird" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>2). A way to easily remove it from my leg - soap doesn't work that great, even if I scrub.
    >
    > Mechanic's hand soap (It's called Plum here (Denmark)).

    Here in the States (at least in the midwest) it's typically referred to by the trade name Goop:

    http://www.goophandcleaner.com/

    Great stuff for taking grease off the skin or clothes.

    Rick Moll

  9. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Rick Moll wrote:

    > Torben Scheel wrote:
    > > "PreciousBbird" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > >>2). A way to easily remove it from my leg - soap doesn't work that great, even if I scrub.
    > >
    > > Mechanic's hand soap (It's called Plum here (Denmark)).
    >
    > Here in the States (at least in the midwest) it's typically referred to by the trade name Goop:
    >
    > http://www.goophandcleaner.com/
    >
    > Great stuff for taking grease off the skin or clothes.

    Not to be confused with the other Goop, which as far as I can tell is Shoe Goo under a
    different name. ;)

  10. On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 10:12:06 -0500, Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Rick Moll wrote:
    >>
    >> Torben Scheel wrote:

    >> > Mechanic's hand soap (It's called Plum here (Denmark)).
    >>
    >> Here in the States (at least in the midwest) it's typically referred to by the trade name Goop:
    >>
    >> http://www.goophandcleaner.com/
    >>
    >> Great stuff for taking grease off the skin or clothes.
    >
    >Not to be confused with the other Goop, which as far as I can tell is Shoe Goo under a
    >different name. ;)
    >
    >Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)
    After a ride to work the other day I ended up with a leg painted with chain lube also. THe only
    thing I had to try and clean it was Windex. It worked like a charm..

    Phil GRR and VRex

  11. David Luecke

    David Luecke Guest

    Hey, that Shoe Goo is good stuff! I just fixed my favorite sandals with it last week, as the sole on
    one was half off, and just starting to separate on the other. They're by far my favorite footwear
    for bicycling - so much so that I have permanent tan marks where their straps go.

    --
    David Luecke Ridin' a RANS Vivo (wahoo!) Merritt Island, Florida USA
    http://community.webshots.com/user/david_luecke

  12. Sticker Jim

    Sticker Jim Guest

    Wipe most of the excess oil off the chain with a rag and/or install some form of chain tube where
    your leg is in proximity to the chain. ½" PVC pipe or ½" garden hose have worked fine for me.