Blackspur cycle computer

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Martin Wilson, Jun 7, 2004.

  1. Anyone got one and is it half decent? What are the main drawbacks of
    buying such a cheap cycle computer compared to the dearer models? Is
    this something its safe to go cheap with?

    Also wheres the best place to get one?

    Do cheapo shops like Poundstretcher stock it?

    In case you don't know Blackspur is the brand name for a major
    scottish importer of low cost/ultra cheap chinese goods and they are
    resold via wholesalers and a huge chain of independant discount shops.
    Sort of shops that call themselves; Mega-Bargain, DiscountZone etc.

    Tags:

  2. Martin Wilson wrote:

    > Anyone got one and is it half decent? What are the main drawbacks of
    > buying such a cheap cycle computer compared to the dearer models? Is
    > this something its safe to go cheap with?
    >
    > Also wheres the best place to get one?
    >
    > Do cheapo shops like Poundstretcher stock it?
    >
    > In case you don't know Blackspur is the brand name for a major
    > scottish importer of low cost/ultra cheap chinese goods and they are
    > resold via wholesalers and a huge chain of independant discount shops.
    > Sort of shops that call themselves; Mega-Bargain, DiscountZone etc.

    Or "Circle K" in Swindon. I don't know about Blackspur but my Ronson
    cable cutters (£3) are excellent.

  3. Gwyn Oakley

    Gwyn Oakley Guest

    In message <[email protected]>
    Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Martin Wilson wrote:
    >
    > > Anyone got one and is it half decent? What are the main drawbacks of
    > > buying such a cheap cycle computer compared to the dearer models? Is
    > > this something its safe to go cheap with?
    > >
    > > Also wheres the best place to get one?
    > >
    > > Do cheapo shops like Poundstretcher stock it?
    > >
    > > In case you don't know Blackspur is the brand name for a major
    > > scottish importer of low cost/ultra cheap chinese goods and they are
    > > resold via wholesalers and a huge chain of independant discount shops.
    > > Sort of shops that call themselves; Mega-Bargain, DiscountZone etc.

    > Or "Circle K" in Swindon. I don't know about Blackspur but my Ronson
    > cable cutters (£3) are excellent.

    And when I tried one I found Blackspur screwdrivers were made of cheese.
    Avoid

  4. >> Or "Circle K" in Swindon. I don't know about Blackspur but my Ronson
    >> cable cutters (£3) are excellent.

    >And when I tried one I found Blackspur screwdrivers were made of cheese.
    >Avoid

    I suspect the cycle computer wouldn't have dairy product related
    components. I hear what your saying but surely you could get away with
    a cheap cycle computer? I just wish I could find one to try.

  5. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Martin Wilson wrote:

    > I suspect the cycle computer wouldn't have dairy product related
    > components. I hear what your saying but surely you could get away with
    > a cheap cycle computer? I just wish I could find one to try.

    If you want cheap, a bit of string and a map works

    Tony

  6. Gawnsoft

    Gawnsoft Guest

    On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 08:13:44 +0100, Martin Wilson
    <[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

    >>> Or "Circle K" in Swindon. I don't know about Blackspur but my Ronson
    >>> cable cutters (£3) are excellent.

    >>And when I tried one I found Blackspur screwdrivers were made of cheese.
    >>Avoid

    >I suspect the cycle computer wouldn't have dairy product related
    >components. I hear what your saying but surely you could get away with
    >a cheap cycle computer? I just wish I could find one to try.

    My Equus Judo cost me all of £6.95 IIRC.

    Mind you, the bracket that holds it onto the handlebars has broken, so
    it's no longer seized in an iron grip. I keep meaning to superglue it
    the the remaining mass of mounting, but I've never quite worked up the
    energy.

    --
    Cheers,
    Euan

  7. In news:[email protected],
    Tony Raven <[email protected]> typed:
    > Martin Wilson wrote:
    >>
    >> I suspect the cycle computer wouldn't have dairy product related
    >> components. I hear what your saying but surely you could get away
    >> with a cheap cycle computer? I just wish I could find one to try.

    > If you want cheap, a bit of string and a map works

    Do you know how much maps cost?

  8. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
    > In news:[email protected],
    > Tony Raven <[email protected]> typed:
    >> Martin Wilson wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I suspect the cycle computer wouldn't have dairy product related
    >>> components. I hear what your saying but surely you could get away
    >>> with a cheap cycle computer? I just wish I could find one to try.

    >> If you want cheap, a bit of string and a map works
    >>

    > Do you know how much maps cost?

    Free if you cycle to the local library to consult them. I find them useful to
    have anyway to navigate but if you don't need them for that they can be had
    for free or even picked up for £1.99 for a whole of England road atlas at
    suitable for cycling scale.

    Tony