Bladed Spokes and Speedometer Dilemma

Meek One

May 5, 2004
I just got a new pair of Korso wheels with very thick, bladed spokes. I wanted to hook up my Polar speedo magnet, but the spokes were too thick to accept the magnet. Any ideas what to do? Thanks.

Meek One said:
I just got a new pair of Korso wheels with very thick, bladed spokes. I wanted to hook up my Polar speedo magnet, but the spokes were too thick to accept the magnet. Any ideas what to do? Thanks.
Most any magnet will work. Shimano, among others, has wheel magnets that are designed to be used with bladed spokes. It's also possible to modify some magnets to use on bladed spokes.

I have to laugh. So many people buy some high-zoot thing, then find out, because they didn't think about it, that something as simple as mounting a computer magnet was not considered by the designer or the buyer. find a little tiny round magnet and mount it with a dab of hot melt glue or other not-to-agressive adhesive that will stick.

Meek One said:
I have a set of Korso wheels and I used an old Cateye wheel magnet that my friend had. It's the kind that's made of plastic and folds over 2 spokes. I'd tell you what computer it's from, but I don't know. The only markings are Wheel Magnet Model C. Not very helpful. I do know the screw-on magnet that Cateye makes for aero/round spokes doesn't quite fit.

You can also use the Mavic magnet designed for their Ksyrium wheels. They cost about $8.

Sigma Sports magnets will also fit with a little bit of filing.

Hot gluing would work initially, but the combination of rotation, vibration, and weather would eventually loosen the glue, probably at the worst possible moment. Epoxy would probably be permanent, but gluing is sort of an inelegant solution. Also, might be hard to remove if you change computers and the sensor placement needs to be changed.

I'm figuring that you bought the wheels more for their price than for being high zoot. Before Supergo was absorbed by Performance, a pair were going for $90 with skewers. Since that's the price of a set of good tires, I figured I'd give the wheels a try. Anyways, I like the ride from them. I've been told they are very similar to Neuvation wheels. I know they are exactly the same as the Performance Titan wheels.

Happy Cycling!

3Sensei said:
I have a set of Korso wheels and I used an old Cateye wheel magnet that my friend had. It's the kind that's made of plastic and folds over 2 spokes. I'd tell you what computer it's from, but I don't know. The only markings are Wheel Magnet Model C. Not very helpful. I do know the screw-on magnet that Cateye makes for aero/round spokes doesn't quite fit.

You can also use the Mavic magnet designed for their Ksyrium wheels. They cost about $8.

Sigma Sports magnets will also fit with a little bit of filing.

Hot gluing would work initially, but the combination of rotation, vibration, and weather would eventually loosen the glue, probably at the worst possible moment. Epoxy would probably be permanent, but gluing is sort of an inelegant solution. Also, might be hard to remove if you change computers and the sensor placement needs to be changed.

I'm figuring that you bought the wheels more for their price than for being high zoot. Before Supergo was absorbed by Performance, a pair were going for $90 with skewers. Since that's the price of a set of good tires, I figured I'd give the wheels a try. Anyways, I like the ride from them. I've been told they are very similar to Neuvation wheels. I know they are exactly the same as the Performance Titan wheels.

Happy Cycling!
I love it when guys ask my how to mount magnets to disc wheels.....:D

There are a number of different hot-melt glues that are great for mounting a little part like a computer magnet. The glue remains flexible, absorbing shock and does not come loose with age. Superior to epoxy in that a heat gun will soften it to remove it from the part you glued it to if you want. Epoxy is permanent. I also have extensive experience with hot melt glue and I have a computer glued on the metal beam of my recumbant bike that has not come loose through three years of riding and leaving the bike outside in the weather.

Insight Driver said:
There are a number of different hot-melt glues that are great for mounting a little part like a computer magnet.

Any brands you recommend?

Meek One said:
Personally on my Ksyriums as well as my Campy Eurus' I mount the Polar speed sensor right below the front brake pad, and the Polar magnet slides nicely over the small round section of the bladed spokes right below the rim. I've done this for a couple years and it works fine.

I have the bladed SLs and my Polar magnet fits fine and works great with no fabrication at all. I slipped it over the small section of the rounded portion of the spoke, moved it down to the bladed portion and angled the magnet a little. I'm using the Polar magnet with the small screw that came with the 725.