bladed spokes?

lostmyshape

Jun 23, 2003
what's the deal with these? do they offer any real advantages over regular spokes? with 2 wheelsets that weigh about the same and are similarly durable, is one with bladed spokes going to perform differently than one without? am i going to notice?

Originally posted by lostmyshape
what's the deal with these? do they offer any real advantages over regular spokes? with 2 wheelsets that weigh about the same and are similarly durable, is one with bladed spokes going to perform differently than one without? am i going to notice?

Bladed is more aerodynamic as long as the spokes stay in place.
You may notice a small improvement as your speed increases and especially if you are not drafting or heading directly into the wind.
You will likely need slotted hubs to accomodate the spokes.
The spokes are quite a bit more expensive than other "normal" spokes.
If you earn your living racing they are worth considering.

It's a controversial subject. What's not in debate is that more aerodynamic spokes improve things (though in degrees subtle enough to only matter for serious time trial competitors); what is in debate is what constitutes the most aero spoke.

There are lots of different condition-specific tests, whitepapers, wind-tunnel experiments and other articles which make arguments in different directions. Some tests favor oval or teardrop spokes; some favor fat, simple blades (like the Ksyrium spoke). Others argue that cross-wind action makes the basic round spoke most effective overall.

Along the same subtle lines, different spoke designs effect the overall mechanics and physical properties of the wheel -- how stiff are the spokes? Stiff in what direction? Rotationally? Torsionally? Does their shape lend vertical compliance? How does that effect rolling speed? It's all complex and, like I've stressed, far too subtle for most of us to worry about.

Just buy good wheels, says I.

if you're building your own wheels, i'd suggest ovalized spokes. they provide some aero advantages and you don't have to worry about the slotting that Dave mentions.