Blakburn AS-1 Mini Pump: How does it work?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by David Patnaude, Jul 30, 2004.

  1. A while back I purchased the Blakburn Air Stik AS-1 mini pump for my road
    bike in hopes that it could save the day if I ever got stuck somewhere with
    a flat tire.

    Now probably more than a year later, I had a rear tire flat and although I
    consider myself very mechanically inclined, I had no idea what to do with
    this thing to try and connect it to my presta valve.

    There are two pieces inside the pump head, a light grey rubber ring with
    two opening sizes and then a hard, black plastic ring with different point
    shapes in the center.

    I ended up taking it apart and only using the light grey ring with
    appropriate opening for the presta valve. The thumb lock didn't seem to
    have any affect. I was able to get enough air in to make it home, but not
    much more.

    Can anyone tell me the proper setup for this pump on a presta valve?

    I kept thinking I should try it before I needed to, but no time for that.
    :)

    Thanks,
    Dave

    Tags:

  2. If it's a presta valve tube, you need to unscrew the small nut on the
    end to open it first, as there is no internal spring to hold the valve
    closed, and therefore, the air in.

    Use the smaller of the two holes on the pump. press this onto the valve,
    but not too hard, you don't want to compress the valve, as this will let
    the air right back out of the tire.
    Once seated, the locking lever is pulled outwards from the pump.

    Then just stroke away! :-3)

    - -

    "May you have the wind at your back.
    And a really low gear for the hills!"

    Chris'Z Corner
    http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

  3. Oops, almost forgot, the hard plastic thing inside the pump is
    positioned so the short tube shaped end fits inside the larger hole of
    the rubber grommet (the thing with the two diferent sized holes). the
    assembled grommet/hard plastic is then inserted back into the pump head
    plastic point first.

    - -

    "May you have the wind at your back.
    And a really low gear for the hills!"

    Chris'Z Corner
    http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

  4. MikeYankee

    MikeYankee Guest

    AS-1 is a pretty good pump. I had one on one of my road bikes for years but
    got tired of the 400 strokes it took to pump a 700 x 23 tire to 100+ psi, so I
    just use a full-size frame pump now.

    Mike Yankee

    (Address is munged to thwart spammers.
    To reply, delete everything after "com".)

  5. Fx199

    Fx199 Guest

    >Subject: Re: Blakburn AS-1 Mini Pump: How does it work?
    >From: [email protected] (MikeYankee)
    >Date: 7/30/2004 8:00 PM US Eastern Standard Time
    >
    >AS-1 is a pretty good pump. I had one on one of my road bikes for years but
    >got tired of the 400 strokes it took to pump a 700 x 23 tire to 100+ psi, so
    >just use a full-size frame pump now.
    >

    >Mike Yankee

    Why not use Co2?

  6. Ted

    Ted Guest

    > >Subject: Re: Blakburn AS-1 Mini Pump: How does it work?
    > >From: [email protected] (MikeYankee)
    > >Date: 7/30/2004 8:00 PM US Eastern Standard Time
    > >
    > >AS-1 is a pretty good pump. I had one on one of my road bikes for years but
    > >got tired of the 400 strokes it took to pump a 700 x 23 tire to 100+ psi, so
    > >just use a full-size frame pump now.
    > >

    > >Mike Yankee

    > Why not use Co2?

    So that you can repair n+1 flats, where n is the number of CO2
    cartridges you have with you. One long walk home will convince you
    that a pump has more utility than cartridges.

  7. In article <[email protected]>,
    Ted <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > >Subject: Re: Blakburn AS-1 Mini Pump: How does it work?
    > > >From: [email protected] (MikeYankee)
    > > >Date: 7/30/2004 8:00 PM US Eastern Standard Time
    > > >
    > > >AS-1 is a pretty good pump. I had one on one of my road bikes for years
    > > >but
    > > >got tired of the 400 strokes it took to pump a 700 x 23 tire to 100+ psi,
    > > >so
    > > >just use a full-size frame pump now.
    > > >

    > > >Mike Yankee

    > > Why not use Co2?

    > So that you can repair n+1 flats, where n is the number of CO2
    > cartridges you have with you. One long walk home will convince you
    > that a pump has more utility than cartridges.

    Which is why I use both; I carry a couple of cartridges and a
    Blackburn. This is a great combination as a the pump makes changing
    the tube or reinstalling a patched tube easier by lightly inflating it,
    a single cartridge then basically reinflates the tire and the pump then
    finishes it off. Hasn't happened yet but in the worse case scenario
    and I end up using all of my cartridges (say because my wife got a flat
    at the same time; we usually carry one pump and one inflator along with
    two tubes between the two of us), I've got the fall back of the pump
    alone.

    Spence

    --
    James P. Spencer
    Rochester, MN

    "Badges?? We don't need no stinkin badges!"

  8. MikeYankee

    MikeYankee Guest

    >why I use both; I carry a couple of cartridges and a Blackburn

    Me, too, although I didn't mention that in my original post. I also carry two
    spare tubes, a patch kit, and some Tyvek for a boot.

    Somehow I've now gone 7025 miles since my last flat on the road -- an amazing
    streak of luck I'll probably never duplicate. One unfortunate day last summer
    I had six flats on one 30-mile ride; that was a record, too.