Blasted "Ooops"

Ground Control

Guest
You know who I mean - UPS

After years of seeing them arrive just after lunch time they shuffled the
map.

Now my shop is on the tail end of a run. Every day this week they have been
showing up after 6 pm.

I close at 6 pm.

Tracked packages that customers are waiting for don't arrive during the day.
Waiting for me the next morning is a post-it saying they'll try again the
next day.

6 pm rolls around - nobody. I'm forced to sit and wait for them to arrive.
I tell the driver this is unsatisfactory. She tells me there is nothing she
can do.

I'm calling their managers tomorrow. Almost every business in my corridor
closes at 5 or 6. In the past it was their rule that stuff would be
delivered before 5 pm to businesses.

I almost lost two large sales over this. On top of that I had to wait until
Wednesday to install my new Next LP crank.

Grrrrrr.

---
__o
_`\(,_ Cycling is life,
(_)/ (_) all the rest, just details.
The Nelson Paradigm =^o.o^=
http://intergalax.com
http://intbike.com

> I almost lost two large sales over this. On top of that I had to
> wait until Wednesday to install my new Next LP crank.

Good luck. ScrewPS sucks. The USPS is FAR better, cheaper, timely and
deliver on Saturdays for free.

I am in a residential area; deliveries from them are usually in the 7:00 -
8:00 PM range without fail. Much discussions with them proved fruitless. I
have yet to get a package from them which wasn't at least ripped either.
Fedex, although expensive, has never shown up after 1:00PM.

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 23:26:13 -0400, Ground Control
<[email protected]> wrote:

> You know who I mean - UPS
>
> After years of seeing them arrive just after lunch time they shuffled the
> map.
>
> Now my shop is on the tail end of a run. Every day this week they have
> been
> showing up after 6 pm.
>
> I close at 6 pm.
>
> Tracked packages that customers are waiting for don't arrive during the
> day.
> Waiting for me the next morning is a post-it saying they'll try again the
> next day.
>
> 6 pm rolls around - nobody. I'm forced to sit and wait for them to
> arrive.
> I tell the driver this is unsatisfactory. She tells me there is nothing
> she
> can do.
>
> I'm calling their managers tomorrow.

Do it! We had to do the same thing at my work. We moved into a brand new
warehouse development and we were one of the only businesses in that area
for awhile. UPS said that's why they put us on the end of the day
schedule. We told them they better start delivering well before lunch or
we'll compel our vendors not to use UPS for shipments to us, and we will
drastically lower our daily shipments thru them. They changed real fast.

They can't afford to be pulling **** like that nowadays... they're no
longer the only game in town.

We now usually get a truck around 9:30am and another one later in the
morning or early afternoon :)

Talk to your UPS business rep/sup.
--
Slacker

<[email protected]> wrote:

> You know who I mean - UPS
>
> After years of seeing them arrive just after lunch time they shuffled the
> map.
>
> Now my shop is on the tail end of a run. Every day this week they have
> been
> showing up after 6 pm.
>
> I close at 6 pm.
>
> Tracked packages that customers are waiting for don't arrive during the
> day.
> Waiting for me the next morning is a post-it saying they'll try again the
> next day.
>
> 6 pm rolls around - nobody. I'm forced to sit and wait for them to
> arrive.
> I tell the driver this is unsatisfactory. She tells me there is nothing
> she
> can do.
>
> I'm calling their managers tomorrow.

Do it! We had to do the same thing at my work. We moved into a brand new
warehouse development and we were one of the only businesses in that area
for awhile. UPS said that's why they put us on the end of the day
schedule. We told them they better start delivering well before lunch or
we'll compel our vendors not to use UPS for shipments to us, and we will
drastically lower our daily shipments thru them. They changed real fast.

They can't afford to be pulling **** like that nowadays... they're no
longer the only game in town.

We now usually get a truck around 9:30am and another one later in the
morning or early afternoon :)

Talk to your UPS business rep/sup.
--
Slacker

Oh, I plan on it. I used to manage grocery stores and we had a vendor
cut-off of 1 pm and by God they lived up to that agreement or they lost a
delivery that day (general freight trucks were excluded from the policy)
It's hard to serve customers and have inventory when we don't even know when
it is being delivered.

---
__o
_`\(,_ Cycling is life,
(_)/ (_) all the rest, just details.
The Nelson Paradigm =^o.o^=
http://intergalax.com
http://intbike.com

"John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > I almost lost two large sales over this. On top of that I had to
> > wait until Wednesday to install my new Next LP crank.

> Good luck. ScrewPS sucks. The USPS is FAR better,

For that matter so is Fed-Ex. Every time I have something delivered ****ed
up by UPS I tell the supplier that I will probably not order from them again
if they only ship via Ooops.

In my area the nearest UPS depot is over 15 miles away in shitty traffic.
Every place I've lived around here the nearest Fed-Ex depot has been within
a mile and they let you pick things up same day if you missed the driver.

I'll choose USPS or Fed-Ex any day.

Greg

"John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

| > I almost lost two large sales over this. On top of that I had to
| > wait until Wednesday to install my new Next LP crank.
|
| Good luck. ScrewPS sucks. The USPS is FAR better, cheaper, timely and
| deliver on Saturdays for free.
|
| I am in a residential area; deliveries from them are usually in the 7:00 -
| 8:00 PM range without fail. Much discussions with them proved fruitless.
| have yet to get a package from them which wasn't at least ripped either.
| Fedex, although expensive, has never shown up after 1:00PM.

FedEx would be fine, but USPS is only good for small packages. Personally,
I have always like UPS's service up until this week. From my perspective it
has all gone straight to hell this week. Their package tracking has
seemingly gone utterly off-line. A personal package (eBay 'winnings') was
scheduled for today but went off their radar on the 10th (they did bring it
today!)

There is one other issue I have with them. If I were to order a small item
from the west coast (I'm on the East Coast) it generally takes a full week
to get here via UPS. If I were to pay about the same amount to for USPS
shipping, I've got the package in 2-3 days for the most part. However, if I
order from SC (I'm in NC) via UPS, I generally get stuff the next day. It's
all situational.

Now, on another note, I don't know exactly what service Amazon.com uses, but
a DVD I ordered from them took 8 days to get from Deleware to here. Not
only that, it stopped in Greensboro, came THROUGH Charlotte, got sorted in
Atlanta and took two more days getting BACK to Charlotte. Go figure.

---
__o
_`\(,_ Cycling is life,
(_)/ (_) all the rest, just details.
The Nelson Paradigm =^o.o^=
http://intergalax.com
http://intbike.com

"Ground Control" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You know who I mean - UPS
>
> After years of seeing them arrive just after lunch time they shuffled the
> map.
>
> Now my shop is on the tail end of a run. Every day this week they have

been
> showing up after 6 pm.
>
> I close at 6 pm.
>
> Tracked packages that customers are waiting for don't arrive during the

day.
> Waiting for me the next morning is a post-it saying they'll try again the
> next day.
>
> 6 pm rolls around - nobody. I'm forced to sit and wait for them to

arrive.
> I tell the driver this is unsatisfactory. She tells me there is nothing

she
> can do.
>
> I'm calling their managers tomorrow. Almost every business in my corridor
> closes at 5 or 6. In the past it was their rule that stuff would be
> delivered before 5 pm to businesses.
>
> I almost lost two large sales over this. On top of that I had to wait

until
> Wednesday to install my new Next LP crank.
>
> Grrrrrr.

FedEx Ground

DHL Domestic

When one service doesn't meet your needs, try another. I can tell you from
experience that FedEx Ground is faster and cheaper than UPS Ground.

Ground Control wrote:
> "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> |
> | > I almost lost two large sales over this. On top of that I had to
> | > wait until Wednesday to install my new Next LP crank.
> |
> | Good luck. ScrewPS sucks. The USPS is FAR better, cheaper, timely and
> | deliver on Saturdays for free.
> |
> | I am in a residential area; deliveries from them are usually in the 7:00 -
> | 8:00 PM range without fail. Much discussions with them proved fruitless.
> | have yet to get a package from them which wasn't at least ripped either.
> | Fedex, although expensive, has never shown up after 1:00PM.
> |

> FedEx would be fine, but USPS is only good for small packages. Personally,
> I have always like UPS's service up until this week. From my perspective it
> has all gone straight to hell this week. Their package tracking has
> seemingly gone utterly off-line. A personal package (eBay 'winnings') was
> scheduled for today but went off their radar on the 10th (they did bring it
> today!)

FEDex is the way to go! Cheaper, faster, and more reliable.

> Now, on another note, I don't know exactly what service Amazon.com uses, but
> a DVD I ordered from them took 8 days to get from Deleware to here. Not
> only that, it stopped in Greensboro, came THROUGH Charlotte, got sorted in
> Atlanta and took two more days getting BACK to Charlotte. Go figure.

Amazon has Warehouses all over the U.S. If they don't have it in the
local warehouse, they'll ship from another location which causes the
delay. Generally, I've gotten Amazon purchases within two days because
they have a warehouse in PA.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

sittingduck wrote:
> Ground Control wrote:
>
>> You know who I mean - UPS

> That's why I use FedEx.

I've always preferred fedex ground, it's faster and about 30-50% less than
the UNTIED parcel service.
For the most part, they seem to do less bonehead stuff with packages too.
but...

they all have their problems. It's just a matter of when, and how they
respond. I recently shipped a customized backpack to a guy, pkg weight 2#.
He recieved an empty box, with a new shipping label on it listed weight .5#.
The item was stolen en route, and the package relabled in house. It's a
good thing I had it insured, but the item is discontinues and it was
customized. They are able to pinpoint the location that the theft occurs
due to so much scanning, but that doesn't make it OK. That being said, my
guy had his $$ within two weeks of making a claim. But it doens't replace
an item you can no longer buy. In 13 years of shipping, this is the first
problem I've had with them.

penny

small change wrote:
> sittingduck wrote:
>
>>Ground Control wrote:
>>

>>>You know who I mean - UPS

>>That's why I use FedEx.

> I've always preferred fedex ground, it's faster and about 30-50% less than
> the UNTIED parcel service.
> For the most part, they seem to do less bonehead stuff with packages too.
> but...
>

> they all have their problems. It's just a matter of when, and how they
> respond. I recently shipped a customized backpack to a guy, pkg weight 2#.
> He recieved an empty box, with a new shipping label on it listed weight .5#.
> The item was stolen en route, and the package relabled in house. It's a
> good thing I had it insured, but the item is discontinues and it was
> customized. They are able to pinpoint the location that the theft occurs
> due to so much scanning, but that doesn't make it OK. That being said, my
> guy had his $$ within two weeks of making a claim. But it doens't replace
> an item you can no longer buy. In 13 years of shipping, this is the first
> problem I've had with them.
>
> penny

UPS vs. FexEx may be an issue of the local office. I live somewhat
remotely and far prefer UPS over FedEx. UPS has a local office in
Durango, FedEx deliveries come out of Farmington, I've had much better
luck with UPS.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
remove "mydebt" to reply

Well, after firing off a blistering email and a call to the local DC, we got
our weekly general merchandise order today about 2pm. Still later than
normal but at a workable time.

Nelson AKA Ground Control

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 14:56:23 -0300, Chris Phillipo
<[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>> Do it! We had to do the same thing at my work. We moved into a brand new
>> warehouse development and we were one of the only businesses in that
>> area
>> for awhile. UPS said that's why they put us on the end of the day
>> schedule. We told them they better start delivering well before lunchor
>> we'll compel our vendors not to use UPS for shipments to us, and we will
>> drastically lower our daily shipments thru them. They changed real fast.
>>
>> They can't afford to be pulling **** like that nowadays... they're no
>> longer the only game in town.
>>
>> We now usually get a truck around 9:30am and another one later in the
>> morning or early afternoon :)
>>
>> Talk to your UPS business rep/sup.
>> --
>> Slacker
>>

> We did the same and things did not change at all. DHL has taken over
> many of their big accounts now in Canada. Now we get things next day
> instead of the day after next.

Well, perhaps we have a bit more leverage since we also service parts that
go on their planes.

Good to see DHL is stepping in to fill the gap. UPS good use a ass
whooping.
--
Slacker

Chris Phillipo wrote:

> We did the same and things did not change at all. DHL has taken over
> many of their big accounts now in Canada. Now we get things next day
> instead of the day after next.

Huh. I hate dealing with DHL. I never know when they're going to show
up, they *will not* leave packages on the front porch, their depot is 20
horrendously congested miles away and they close early. Grrr.....

FedEx and UPS, on the other hand, have a regular route through my area,
are always here before noon and are willing to stick packages behind the
big planter on the front porch (if no signature is required). The one
time I received an obviously smooshed and battered package from UPS, the
driver himself pointed it out to me and waited while I opened the box to
check the contents. It was just fabric, though (as opposed to computer
components), and nothing was torn, missing or soiled.

Kathleen

"Kathleen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| Chris Phillipo wrote:
|

| > We did the same and things did not change at all. DHL has taken over
| > many of their big accounts now in Canada. Now we get things next day
| > instead of the day after next.
|
| Huh. I hate dealing with DHL. I never know when they're going to show
| up, they *will not* leave packages on the front porch, their depot is 20
| horrendously congested miles away and they close early. Grrr.....
|
| FedEx and UPS, on the other hand, have a regular route through my area,
| are always here before noon and are willing to stick packages behind the
| big planter on the front porch (if no signature is required). The one
| time I received an obviously smooshed and battered package from UPS, the
| driver himself pointed it out to me and waited while I opened the box to
| check the contents. It was just fabric, though (as opposed to computer
| components), and nothing was torn, missing or soiled.
|
| Kathleen

That has been my normal experience with UPS. Problem is, I've come to find
out, that with the road construction on the highway we're located, they've
tacked us onto the tail end of a residential route and brought in some newer
drivers who don't understand the concept of a business delivery or even a
receiving door.

---
__o
_`\(,_ Cycling is life,