Bleeding blisters on the rear end!

Just Us

Guest
It seems all I do these days is complain here about numb
fingers and sore butts, but here I go again. Update on the
fingers - after 6 weeks I still have 2 numb fingers but have
changed my handle bar on the Tandem to more upright and feel
that the problem is solved (just waiting for the return of
feeling!) Some time ago I asked about a "touchey subject"
which was my very very sore "*****". LOL, thanks to a few
very good emails and suggestions here I solved that problem
by getting a new saddle - one with a hole in it made for us
girls. Since changing the saddle I have had not had any pain
like I was frequently experiencing. Now I am faced with by
far the worst problem yet - I own 2 pairs of Netti bike
pants. One pair is just fantastic and I did a couple of
200kms rides without a sore bum at all and thought "wow I am
past it!" Unfortuneately I bought a second pair of Netti
bike pants for ladies, which have a different padding in
them. Best advice I can give anyone is - DONT BUY THE PAIR
WITH THE BLACK/BLUE PADDING IN THEM! Between the legs and
chaff areas are not a problem, as far as that area goes they
are great BUT I have been bleeding from the worst blisters
of my life for the last 3 days after doing a 300kms ride
wearing these pants (over 2 days).Where the seam joins the
padding to the lycra on the cheeks of your bum I have
blistered and bled - more than just a touchey subject - this
time I am in pain! Am in the process of trying to locate an
email address on the net to advise Netti that they really
need to fix the seam problem, as this is no fun. Hopefully
this is my final whinge here :) Kathy.

just us wrote:
> It seems all I do these days is complain here about numb
> fingers and sore butts, but here I go again. Update on the
> fingers - after 6 weeks I still have 2 numb fingers but
> have changed my handle bar on the Tandem to more upright
> and feel that the problem is solved (just waiting for the
> return of feeling!) Some time ago I asked about a "touchey
> subject" which was my very very sore "*****". LOL, thanks
> to a few very good emails and suggestions here I solved
> that problem by getting a new saddle - one with a hole in
> it made for us girls. Since changing the saddle I have had
> not had any pain like I was frequently experiencing. Now I
> am faced with by far the worst problem yet - I own 2 pairs
> of Netti bike pants. One pair is just fantastic and I did
> a couple of 200kms rides without a sore bum at all and
> thought "wow I am past it!" Unfortuneately I bought a
> second pair of Netti bike pants for ladies, which have a
> different padding in them. Best advice I can give anyone
> is - DONT BUY THE PAIR WITH THE BLACK/BLUE PADDING IN
> THEM! Between the legs and chaff areas are not a problem,
> as far as that area goes they are great BUT I have been
> bleeding from the worst blisters of my life for the last 3
> days after doing a 300kms ride wearing these pants (over 2
> days).Where the seam joins the padding to the lycra on the
> cheeks of your bum I have blistered and bled - more than
> just a touchey subject - this time I am in pain! Am in the
> process of trying to locate an email address on the net to
> advise Netti that they really need to fix the seam
> problem, as this is no fun. Hopefully this is my final
> whinge here :) Kathy.

The quality or lack there off of Netti knicks have been the
subject of much discussion recently in a few other forums.
Netti do have a contact form and email address on their web
page http://www.netti.com.au/index.htm

In the meantime Gound Effect www.groundeffect.co.nz come
highly reccommended.

Rob

Oh you poor thing.:eek:
If buying Netti knicks, remember to buy the lady ones with the pink chamois. Have you tried chamois cream?
See here for a link to an example (Assos Chamois Cream)
<http://tinyurl.com/2tem8>

Failing that, save up and get Pearl Izumi knicks.

"cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Oh you poor thing.:eek: If buying Netti knicks, remember
> to buy the lady ones with the pink chamois. Have you tried
> chamois cream? See here for a link to an example (Assos
> Chamois Cream) <http://tinyurl.com/2tem8>
>
> Failing that, save up and get Pearl Izumi knicks.

Sugoi are reputed to be excellent but they're horrendously
expensive.

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 20:36:45 +1000, "just us" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> It seems all I do these days is complain here about numb
> fingers and sore butts, but here I go again. Update on the
> fingers - after 6 weeks I still have 2 numb fingers but
> have changed my handle bar on the Tandem to more upright
> and feel that the problem is solved (just waiting for the
> return of feeling!) Some time ago I asked about a "touchey
> subject" which was my very very sore "*****". LOL, thanks
> to a few very good emails and suggestions here I solved
> that problem by getting a new saddle - one with a hole in
> it made for us girls. Since changing the saddle I have had
> not had any pain like I was frequently experiencing. Now I
> am faced with by far the worst problem yet - I own 2 pairs
> of Netti bike pants. One pair is just fantastic and I did
> a couple of 200kms rides without a sore bum at all and
> thought "wow I am past it!" Unfortuneately I bought a
> second pair of Netti bike pants for ladies, which have a
> different padding in them. Best advice I can give anyone
> is - DONT BUY THE PAIR WITH THE BLACK/BLUE PADDING IN
> THEM! Between the legs and chaff areas are not a problem,
> as far as that area goes they are great BUT I have been
> bleeding from the worst blisters of my life for the last 3
> days after doing a 300kms ride wearing these pants (over 2
> days).Where the seam joins the padding to the lycra on the
> cheeks of your bum I have blistered and bled - more than
> just a touchey subject - this time I am in pain! Am in the
> process of trying to locate an email address on the net to
> advise Netti that they really need to fix the seam
> problem, as this is no fun. Hopefully this is my final
> whinge here :)

Hmmm, have you thought of catching the train? ;-)

> "DRS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > "cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > Failing that, save up and get Pearl Izumi knicks.
>
> Sugoi are reputed to be excellent but they're horrendously
> expensive.

It's generally worth it not to have a sore bum :) My Sugoi
and Pearl Izumi knicks are the most comfortable that I own.
Even beating the Campag techno knicks, which...er...seem to
have died in the **** after a year.

Jeff

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 23:22:45 +1000, Ken Oaf <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 20:36:45 +1000, "just us"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> It seems all I do these days is complain here about numb
>> fingers and sore butts, but here I go again. Update on
>> the fingers - after 6 weeks I still have 2 numb fingers
>> but have changed my handle bar on the Tandem to more
>> upright and feel that the problem is solved (just waiting
>> for the return of feeling!) Some time ago I asked about a
>> "touchey subject" which was my very very sore "*****".
>> LOL, thanks to a few very good emails and suggestions
>> here I solved that problem by getting a new saddle - one
>> with a hole in it made for us girls. Since changing the
>> saddle I have had not had any pain like I was frequently
>> experiencing. Now I am faced with by far the worst
>> problem yet - I own 2 pairs of Netti bike pants. One pair
>> is just fantastic and I did a couple of 200kms rides
>> without a sore bum at all and thought "wow I am past it!"
>> Unfortuneately I bought a second pair of Netti bike pants
>> for ladies, which have a different padding in them. Best
>> advice I can give anyone is - DONT BUY THE PAIR WITH THE
>> BLACK/BLUE PADDING IN THEM! Between the legs and chaff
>> areas are not a problem, as far as that area goes they
>> are great BUT I have been bleeding from the worst
>> blisters of my life for the last 3 days after doing a
>> 300kms ride wearing these pants (over 2 days).Where the
>> seam joins the padding to the lycra on the cheeks of your
>> bum I have blistered and bled - more than just a touchey
>> subject - this time I am in pain! Am in the process of
>> trying to locate an email address on the net to advise
>> Netti that they really need to fix the seam problem, as
>> this is no fun. Hopefully this is my final whinge here :)
>
>Hmmm, have you thought of catching the train? ;-)

Or much shorter rides!

>Originally posted by Just Us

<snip Netti horror story>

My Netti's are currently in the bottom drawer, for use only in
dire emergencies. They cut me up one to many times in the
worst place possible for a boy...

Let it be known that hippy will not try another pair of Netti
knicks unless they get RAVE reviews from EVERYONE or they
are FREE.

It's funny this thread should appear because yesterday I
noticed my Cannibals have a series of holes in the leg,
probably where I've dug my fingers in to pull them up. They
are getting a little too thin for my liking.

So, other than Sugoi and Pearl Azumi are there any other
brands a dude should consider?

Do places like LeKnicks(sp?) have pro gear? Where can I get
pro knicks from? I don't want the team colours but if it means
I get the best possible knicks, then I don't care..

Is there any reason NOT to buy pro knicks and go with Nalini, Sugoi, Assos, PA, etc?

cheers!
hippy

"cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Oh you poor thing.:eek: If buying Netti knicks, remember
> to buy the lady ones with the pink
chamois. Have you tried chamois cream?
> See here for a link to an example (Assos Chamois Cream)
> <http://tinyurl.com/2tem8>
>
> Failing that, save up and get Pearl Izumi knicks.

Oooh... bleeding bum blisters. Worse on a bike because you
know you have a way to go before you can get off the saddle
and get some relief. Sympathy.

My partner used Netti shy shorts... reasonably comfy. I
bought her some Adidas women's knicks. She loves them. I got
myself a pair too after borrowing hers one day. Good for a
fat hairy bloke too!

Frank

"david" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 23:22:45 +1000, Ken Oaf
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 20:36:45 +1000, "just us"
<[email protected]>
> >wrote:
> >
> >> It seems all I do these days is complain here about
> >> numb fingers and
sore
> >> butts, but here I go again. Update on the fingers -
> >> after 6 weeks I
still
> >> have 2 numb fingers but have changed my handle bar on
> >> the Tandem to
more
> >> upright and feel that the problem is solved (just
> >> waiting for the
return of
> >> feeling!) Some time ago I asked about a "touchey
> >> subject" which was my very very
sore
> >> "*****". LOL, thanks to a few very good emails and
> >> suggestions here I
solved
> >> that problem by getting a new saddle - one with a hole
> >> in it made for
us
> >> girls. Since changing the saddle I have had not had any
> >> pain like I was frequently experiencing. Now I am faced
> >> with by far the worst problem yet - I own 2 pairs of
Netti
> >> bike pants. One pair is just fantastic and I did a
> >> couple of 200kms
rides
> >> without a sore bum at all and thought "wow I am
> >> past it!"
Unfortuneately I
> >> bought a second pair of Netti bike pants for ladies,
> >> which have a
different
> >> padding in them. Best advice I can give anyone is -
> >> DONT BUY THE PAIR
WITH
> >> THE BLACK/BLUE PADDING IN THEM! Between the legs and
> >> chaff areas are
not a
> >> problem, as far as that area goes they are great BUT I
> >> have been
bleeding
> >> from the worst blisters of my life for the last 3 days
> >> after doing a
300kms
> >> ride wearing these pants (over 2 days).Where the seam
> >> joins the padding
> >> the lycra on the cheeks of your bum I have blistered
> >> and bled - more
than
> >> just a touchey subject - this time I am in pain! Am in
> >> the process of trying to locate an email address on the
> >> net to
advise
> >> Netti that they really need to fix the seam problem,
> >> as this is no fun. Hopefully this is my final whinge
> >> here :)
> >
> >Hmmm, have you thought of catching the train? ;-)
>
> Or much shorter rides!

For a long time I blamed my seat and my knicks for a sore
bum but since I've started applying a good cream before
rides the problems have disappeared.

Marty

>Originally posted by Marty Wallace
>For a long time I blamed my seat and my knicks for a sore
>bum but since I've started applying a good cream before
>rides the problems have disappeared.

I hate the thought of applying creams just to go for a ride, but
if I'm going to be doing 600k's in 4 days (Melb -> Mildura) then
I might need to.

So, along with my "which knicks" question above..
What sort of creams are you all using?
(I've heard of the Assos stuff and 'buttah'?)

hippy

> >Originally posted by Marty Wallace For a long time I
> >blamed my seat and my knicks for a sore bum but since
> >I've started applying a good cream before rides the
> >problems have disappeared.
>
> I hate the thought of applying creams just to go for a
> ride, but if I'm going to be doing 600k's in 4 days (Melb
> -> Mildura) then I might need to.
>
> So, along with my "which knicks" question above.. What
> sort of creams are you all using? (I've heard of the Assos
> stuff and 'buttah'?)
>
> hippy

The cream I use is "Am-o-lin". It's a baby cream found on
the shelves of the local supermarket. If it's good enough
for babys bottoms it's good enough for mine.

Stops nappy rash too!

Marty

cfsmtb wrote:

> Oh you poor thing.:eek: If buying Netti knicks, remember
> to buy the lady ones with the pink chamois. Have you tried
> chamois cream? See here for a link to an example (Assos
> Chamois Cream) <http://tinyurl.com/2tem8>
>
> Failing that, save up and get Pearl Izumi knicks.
>
> --
Or just be grateful for the new callouses that mean you will
now be more ouch-resistant than ever before.

[...]

Hi Kathy:

In my personal experience, the combo of saddle and nix takes some trial and error before the comfy combo is found. A good LBS allows you to test ride loan saddles before you buy. With nix, it can't be done (hygene).

I found the best way to avoid the problem is not riding with the same nix more than once before it's washed. This was costly as I had to have five nix for commuting, but the reward was worth it! I also use fabric softener with antibacterial agents after washing cycling garments and it has improved the comfort in summer.

Cheers,
Amir.

Originally posted by Marty Wallace

The cream I use is "Am-o-lin". It's a baby cream found on
the shelves of the local supermarket. If it's good enough
for babys bottoms it's good enough for mine.

Stops nappy rash too!

Marty

A second vote for "Amolin". Take some with you on long rides & apply as needed. I wash out my nicks under the shower after each use & have enough spares to get by for multi day tours but you can put them on still damp in the morning, good in summer :)
As others have said, gotta find the right saddle & nick combo that works for YOU.

> >Originally posted by Marty Wallace For a long time I
> >blamed my seat and my knicks for a sore bum but since
> >I've started applying a good cream before rides the
> >problems have disappeared.
>
> I hate the thought of applying creams just to go for a
> ride, but if I'm going to be doing 600k's in 4 days (Melb
> -> Mildura) then I might need to.
>
> So, along with my "which knicks" question above.. What
> sort of creams are you all using? (I've heard of the Assos
> stuff and 'buttah'?)

Savlon (?)Antiseptic! It's cheaper :)

Gemm

"amirm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just Us wrote:
> > It seems all I do these days is complain here about
> > numb fingers and sore butts, but here I go again.
> > Update on the fingers - after 6 weeks I still have 2
> > numb fingers but have changed my handle bar on the
> > Tandem to more upright and feel that the problem is
> > solved (just waiting for the return of feeling!) Some
> > time ago I asked about a "touchey subject" which was
> > my very very sore "*****". LOL, thanks to
> > few very good emails and suggestions here I solved
> > that problem by getting a new saddle - one with a hole
> > in it made for us girls. Since changing the saddle I
> > have had not had any pain like I was frequently
> > experiencing. Now I am faced with by far the worst
> > problem yet - I own 2 pairs of Netti bike pants. One
> > pair is just fantastic and I did a couple of 200kms
> > rides without a sore bum at all and thought "wow I am
> > past it!" Unfortuneately I bought a second pair of
> > Netti bike pants
for
> > ladies, which have a different padding in them. Best
> > advice I can give anyone is - DONT BUY THE PAIR WITH
> > THE BLACK/BLUE PADDING IN THEM! Between the legs and
> > chaff areas are not a problem, as far as that
area
> > goes they are great BUT I have been bleeding from the
> > worst blisters
of
> > my life for the last 3 days after doing a 300kms ride
> > wearing these pants (over 2 days).Where the seam joins
> > the padding to the lycra on the cheeks of your bum I
> > have blistered and bled - more than just a touchey
> > subject - this time I am in pain! Am in the process of
> > trying to locate an email address on the net to advise
> > Netti that they really need to fix the seam problem,
> > as this is no fun. Hopefully this is my final whinge
> > here :) Kathy.
>

> Hi Kathy:
>
> In my personal experience, the combo of saddle and nix
> takes some trial and error before the comfy combo is
> found. A good LBS allows you to test ride loan saddles
> before you buy. With nix, it can't be done (hygene).
>
> I found the best way to avoid the problem is not riding
> with the same nix more than once before it's washed. This
> was costly as I had to have five nix for commuting, but
> the reward was worth it! I also use fabric softener with
> antibacterial agents after washing cycling garments and it
> has improved the comfort in summer.

Try soaking your knicks in diluted dettol for 1/2 hour
(squeeze it into the chamoix), then rinse twice and dry.
Also works well for jerseys.

news:[email protected]
>> Originally posted by Just Us
>
> <snip Netti horror story>
>
> My Netti's are currently in the bottom drawer, for use
> only in dire emergencies. They cut me up one to many times
> in the worst place possible for a boy...

Which Netti nix are they, though? I have a pair of Aeronix
and Pronix and I reckon the Pronix is an extra $15 well
spent. I'm not saying there aren't better but by the same
token if you bought the ultra-cheapies then you can't expect
them to be great.

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Originally posted by Bikesoiler
A second vote for "Amolin". Take some with you on long rides & apply as needed. I wash out my nicks under the shower after each use & have enough spares to get by for multi day tours but you can put them on still damp in the morning, good in summer :)
As others have said, gotta find the right saddle & nick combo that works for YOU.

Worked well for the kids in controlling nappy rash etc, after Lanolin was taken off the shelves due to health scares of what was being picked up by sheep in the paddocks (Lanolin is "wool fat").

Something which may also be of interest here is that we (family)have found that amolin is also very beneficial in the treatment of ecsema, where a lot of other prescribed potions have failed. My daughter's partner who has bad ecsema on hands and arms cleared it up and controls it with liberal coatings on affected areas. My nephew has cleared up legs which he used to wrap in Gladwrap to go to sleep. I don't sell it or have shares. but it is an interesting side effect of a cream that does help cosiderably to reduce rashes and discomfort on long rides!

Thought the info may be of some use to those who suffer or know someone who does. It is worth giving it a try, or pass the info on.