Bleeding Hayes disk brakes

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Kim, Mar 28, 2006.

  1. Kim

    Kim Guest

    I've followed the instructions for bleeding hayes disk brakes that come
    with the Hayes bleed kit, but when I get to the part about pushing
    fluid through the system and squeezing the brake levers, the pistons
    fall out and fluid goes everywhere. I tried pushing some wooden shims
    between the pistons, but then the posts dig into the wood and it's hard
    to get the shim out. It seems like there must be a better solution and
    it surprises me that Hayes completely ignored this problem in their kit
    instructions. Am I missing something? Is there a tool that can be
    used to prevent this problem?

    Tags:

  2. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Kim wrote:
    > I've followed the instructions for bleeding hayes disk brakes that come
    > with the Hayes bleed kit, but when I get to the part about pushing
    > fluid through the system and squeezing the brake levers, the pistons
    > fall out and fluid goes everywhere. I tried pushing some wooden shims
    > between the pistons, but then the posts dig into the wood and it's hard
    > to get the shim out. It seems like there must be a better solution and
    > it surprises me that Hayes completely ignored this problem in their kit
    > instructions. Am I missing something? Is there a tool that can be
    > used to prevent this problem?

    Yikes! It sounds like your bleeding them with one end closed off. Both
    ends should be open so the fluid runs through without any bubbles, then
    seal them. You've got a big mess on your hands now. Make sure your
    clean them with alcohol before putting the pads in.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  3. Shaun aRe

    Shaun aRe Guest

    "Kim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I've followed the instructions for bleeding hayes disk brakes that come
    > with the Hayes bleed kit, but when I get to the part about pushing
    > fluid through the system and squeezing the brake levers, the pistons
    > fall out and fluid goes everywhere. I tried pushing some wooden shims
    > between the pistons, but then the posts dig into the wood and it's hard
    > to get the shim out. It seems like there must be a better solution and
    > it surprises me that Hayes completely ignored this problem in their kit
    > instructions. Am I missing something? Is there a tool that can be
    > used to prevent this problem?

  4. Shaun aRe

    Shaun aRe Guest

    "Kim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I've followed the instructions for bleeding hayes disk brakes that come
    > with the Hayes bleed kit, but when I get to the part about pushing
    > fluid through the system and squeezing the brake levers, the pistons
    > fall out and fluid goes everywhere. I tried pushing some wooden shims
    > between the pistons, but then the posts dig into the wood and it's hard
    > to get the shim out. It seems like there must be a better solution and
    > it surprises me that Hayes completely ignored this problem in their kit
    > instructions. Am I missing something? Is there a tool that can be
    > used to prevent this problem?

    Yes - it's called a frame, wheels, and brake disk - bleed the bleeding
    things while they are mounted on the bike as normal FFS, you dummy...

    Shaun aRe

  5. Kim

    Kim Guest

    The instructions say to remove the wheel when bleeding the brakes so
    that you don't get brake fluid on the brake pads, wheels, etc. (This
    makes it so that the calipers can fall out when fluid pressure rises.)
    The Hayes instructions also say to keep pressure on the fluid bottle
    while pumping the brake levers - this is when the calipers fall out.
    Seems like a common problem. I don't understand your lame answer or
    your sarcasm...