Blimey that was quick

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Andy P, Jun 13, 2003.

  1. Andy P

    Andy P Guest

    Just left my old unwanted bike propped up by some railings in one of the posher bits of Bristol with
    a sign on it saying "Free bike please take" & it was gone in 20 minutes despite being pretty old,
    very basic, and having various defects like a split wheel rim (which I duly pointed out). Hope it's
    gone to a good home (sniff).

    Tags:

  2. Msa

    Msa Guest

    "Andy P" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Just left my old unwanted bike propped up by some railings in one of the posher bits of Bristol
    > with a sign on it saying "Free bike please take" &
    it
    > was gone in 20 minutes despite being pretty old, very basic, and having various defects like a
    > split wheel rim (which I duly pointed out). Hope it's gone to a good home (sniff).

    At least they didn't prop it up on bricks and nick the wheels!

    Mark

  3. John Murf

    John Murf Guest

    On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 19:33:07 +0100, Andy P wrote:

    > Just left my old unwanted bike propped up by some railings in one of the posher bits of Bristol
    > with a sign on it saying "Free bike please take" & it was gone in 20 minutes despite being pretty
    > old, very basic, and having various defects like a split wheel rim (which I duly pointed out).
    > Hope it's gone to a good home (sniff).

    Did they leave the sign against the next bike?

    --
    John Murf

  4. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Andy P" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Just left my old unwanted bike propped up by some railings in one of the posher bits of Bristol
    > with a sign on it saying "Free bike please take" &
    it
    > was gone in 20 minutes despite being pretty old, very basic, and having various defects like a
    > split wheel rim (which I duly pointed out). Hope it's gone to a good home (sniff).

    I'd have settled down with a coffee and watched the new owner arrive :)

  5. Frank

    Frank Guest

  6. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    MSA wrote:
    > At least they didn't prop it up on bricks and nick the wheels!

    I've seen that done with a shopping trolley. I *really* wish I'd had a camera at the time.

    Thomas Paine

  7. "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > MSA wrote:
    > > At least they didn't prop it up on bricks and nick the wheels!
    >
    > I've seen that done with a shopping trolley. I *really* wish I'd had a camera at the time.

    The wheels can be redeployed for other uses (such as attaching to a 19" rack of sound equipment).
    Not that I personally would do such a thing but some friends did. (they didn't nick the trolley
    either; it was found in their front garden having been left there by pissed up students)

    Nor did they leave the trolley on bricks (this would only further anger the shopkeepers and attract
    the attention of the local bobbies); the remains were upended and a large board placed across them;
    this then served as a handy work surface for the electronic maintenance workshop.

    Alex

  8. W K

    W K Guest

    "Mr [email protected] (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > MSA wrote:
    > > > At least they didn't prop it up on bricks and nick the wheels!
    > >
    > > I've seen that done with a shopping trolley. I *really* wish I'd had a camera at the time.
    > >

    > The wheels can be redeployed for other uses (such as attaching to a 19"
    rack
    > of sound equipment). Not that I personally would do such a thing but some friends did. (they
    > didn't nick the trolley either; it was found in their front garden having been left there by
    > pissed up students)
    >
    > Nor did they leave the trolley on bricks (this would only further anger
    the
    > shopkeepers and attract the attention of the local bobbies); the remains were upended and a large
    > board placed across them; this then served as a handy work surface for the electronic maintenance
    > workshop.

    Missed the opportunity for a big Barbeque then

  9. David Nutter

    David Nutter Guest

    Danny Colyer <[email protected]> said:
    > MSA wrote:
    >> At least they didn't prop it up on bricks and nick the wheels!
    >
    > I've seen that done with a shopping trolley. I *really* wish I'd had a camera at the time.

    My housemate reported that, while in the barbarous South, she saw a transit van that was first left
    semi-stripped in a carpark, then propped up on bricks so the wheels could be stolen. Subsequently,
    it was propped up on milk crates so the bricks could be stolen.

    Regards,

    -david

  10. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    "W K" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > "Mr [email protected] (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    <snip>
    >> Nor did they leave the trolley on bricks (this would only further anger
    > the
    >> shopkeepers and attract the attention of the local bobbies); the remains were upended and a large
    >> board placed across them; this then served as a handy work surface for the electronic maintenance
    >> workshop.
    >
    > Missed the opportunity for a big Barbeque then

    Don't talk to me about ****ing shopping trolleys and barbecues! About 10 years ago, on the first
    evening of a 2 1/2 week white water kayaking trip in Italy/France I was asked to make a barbecue out
    of a small shopping trolley that had been acquired somehow - I don't think it was nicked, they
    muttered something about having to pay a 2 Franc non-returnable deposit ;-). A few hacksaw cuts
    later I was bending the sides down flat when I put my back out. It took over a week before I could
    stand straight again and kayaking was out of the question :-( Mind you I did get regular massages
    from the girlfriend of the driver of the VW camper that hauled all the cripples around (one dodgy
    back, one knackered knee and I think a case of serious sunstroke - nice safe sport kayaking) so it
    wasn't too much of a hardship.

    Have (shopping trolley free) fun!

    Graeme

  11. Matsav

    Matsav Guest

    "Mr [email protected] (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... <snip>

    > Not that I personally would do such a thing but some friends did. (they didn't nick the trolley
    > either; it was found in their front garden having been left there by pissed up students)

    That's called, technically, "Theft by finding". They should, of course, have reported their "find"
    to the local police ;-)

    --
    MatSav