Blimey USPS are flying along

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Terry" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> How the *********** did they make that much time up, whoa!!!

Thanks for that:saved me the bother of not watching any news/reading paper etc tonight and getting
up at 0150 tomorrow to find out the result by watching ITV1

"martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Terry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > How the *********** did they make that much time up, whoa!!!
>
> Thanks for that:saved me the bother of not watching any news/reading paper etc tonight and getting
> up at 0150 tomorrow to find out the result by watching ITV1

Can we change the FAQ quickly to stop this stuff from happening .. ? BTW, getting up at 0150? Not
staying up?!

Terry wrote:
> How the *********** did they make that much time up, whoa!!!

Terry, Here is what I first thought of replying: How lucky I am to be just about to watch the TdF
highlights programme on TV and only know such trivial details, having kept myself awake until this
time in the morning by reading newsgroups. Perhaps next time you could enlighten people to a more
irritating level, but not me.

Terry-------------->>>>>>>>>>>>killfile.

Then I realised I was English.

The polite version goes like this - please don't spoil other people's enjoyment of delayed coverage
of such events by posting things which give away what happens, _especially_ in the title of the
post. You're not really in my killfile. Most of that was just to make the point.

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

Conscientious objection is hard work in an economic war.

Aye!.

"Jim Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Terry wrote:
> > How the *********** did they make that much time up, whoa!!!
>
> Terry, Here is what I first thought of replying: How lucky I am to be just about to watch the TdF
> highlights programme on TV and only know such trivial details, having kept myself awake until this
> time in the morning by reading newsgroups. Perhaps next time you could enlighten people to a more
> irritating level, but not me.
>
> Terry-------------->>>>>>>>>>>>killfile.
>
> Then I realised I was English.
>
> The polite version goes like this - please don't spoil other people's enjoyment of delayed
> coverage of such events by posting things which give away what happens, _especially_ in the title
> of the post. You're not really in my killfile. Most of that was just to make the point.
>
> --
> Jim Price
>
> http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com
>
> Conscientious objection is hard work in an economic war.
>
> Aye!.
>

FFS, it's a public forum etc blah de blah. I honestly didn't mean to spoil it for anyone, apologies
if I did, twas an honest mistake, I'll make sure I don't do it again, you sometimes forget that
people don't have Sky TV etc so you assume everyone will know what's happening. Hope that suffices
for anyone whom I spoilt it for, if not tough, it happened, move on!

---
7 days to go! L'Etape du Tour 2003, rider number 3295 http://www.letapedutour.com/2003/us/index.htm

> Can we change the FAQ quickly to stop this stuff from happening .. ? BTW, getting up at 0150? Not
> staying up?!

I agree. I recorded Tuesday's stage and woke up at 0300 to watch it (disgusting sticky hot night
anyway), could not sleep through the suspense, May stay up to see it tonight IF NO ONE SPOILS IT!!!

Terry wrote:

> "Jim Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > The polite version goes like this - please don't spoil other people's enjoyment of delayed
> > coverage of such events by posting things which give away what happens, _especially_ in the
> > title of the post. You're not really in my killfile. Most of that was just to make the point.
>
>
> FFS, it's a public forum etc blah de blah.

Exactly.

> I honestly didn't mean to spoil it for anyone, apologies if I did, twas an honest mistake, I'll
> make sure I don't do it again,

A mistake? Not at all. IMO post what you want.

> you sometimes forget that people don't have Sky TV etc so you assume everyone will know what's
> happening.

If someone posts the result before I know it so what (and I *don't* have a telly).
- but I probably knew it anyway as I am logged into the letour minute by minute updates ;-)

> Hope that suffices for anyone whom I spoilt it for, if not tough, it happened, move on!

Dead right Terry. Its tough. There are also people who may not read about an event 'til it appears a
week (or more) later in the press. That doesn't mean everyone who does know should keep quiet.

John B

martin <[email protected]> wrote:

: by the way good luck for the Etape, envy envy, will def try for it next year (any idea
: where it is?)

Should be in the Alps next year (tends to alternate), though it might be in the Massif Central also.
The exact stage is announced after the tour route is announced, usually in January.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org Power is delightful. Absolute power is absolutely delightful -
Lord Lester

"John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Dead right Terry. Its tough. There are also people who may not read about an event 'til it
> appears a
week
> (or more) later in the press. That doesn't mean everyone who does know should keep quiet.
>

Well, I'm certainly not going to ruin the TdF for everyone else, and I'm not going to make them not
want to visit this group for 3 weeks. You make your own choices ...

elyob wrote:

> "John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> > Dead right Terry. Its tough. There are also people who may not read about an event 'til it
> > appears a
> week
> > (or more) later in the press. That doesn't mean everyone who does know should keep quiet.
> >
>
> Well, I'm certainly not going to ruin the TdF for everyone else, and I'm not going to make them
> not want to visit this group for 3 weeks. You make your own choices ...

Fair enough. There's a break on at the moment No I'm not saying who ;-)

But you can see at:

http://www.letour.com/2003/us/index.html

John B

"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> martin <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> : by the way good luck for the Etape, envy envy, will def try for it next year (any idea where
> : it is?)
>
> Should be in the Alps next year (tends to alternate), though it might be in the Massif Central
> also. The exact stage is announced after the tour route is announced, usually in January.

So how does one get a good chance of a place other than camping outside a newsagents that sells
Velo? Is it open entry or do previous entrants get priority L2B stylee?? what are arrangemnets for
getting back to the start like other than posting car-shares on the etape forum?

> "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > martin <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > : by the way good luck for the Etape, envy envy, will def try for it next year (any idea where
> > : it is?)
> >
> > Should be in the Alps next year (tends to alternate), though it might be in the Massif Central
> > also. The exact stage is announced after the tour route is announced, usually in January.
>
> So how does one get a good chance of a place other than camping outside a newsagents that sells
> Velo? Is it open entry or do previous entrants get priority L2B stylee?? what are arrangemnets for
> getting back to the start like other than posting car-shares on the etape forum?

Download the form from the website, that's what I did, filled in the form etc, sent it off. It
appears on the internet the same day it appears in the Velo.

---
6 days to go! L'Etape du Tour 2003, rider number 3295 http://www.letapedutour.com/2003/us/index.htm

"Terry" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > martin <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >
> > > : by the way good luck for the Etape, envy envy, will def try for it next year (any idea where
> > > : it is?)
> > >
> > > Should be in the Alps next year (tends to alternate), though it might be in the Massif Central
> > > also. The exact stage is announced after the tour route is announced, usually in January.
> >
> > So how does one get a good chance of a place other than camping outside a newsagents that sells
> > Velo? Is it open entry or do previous entrants get priority L2B stylee?? what are arrangemnets
> > for getting back to the start like other than posting car-shares on the etape forum?
>
>
> Download the form from the website, that's what I did, filled in the form etc, sent it off. It
> appears on the internet the same day it appears in the Velo.
>
Thanks, will do. Phil Liggett was trying to put people off it on the ITV prog last night by saying
if you don't do a min speed you will end up in the broom wagon. 18kph does not sound that fast (2kph
less than I did the National 400 last year) albeit a few more hills.Let us know how you got on.

> >
> Thanks, will do. Phil Liggett was trying to put people off it on the ITV prog last night by saying
> if you don't do a min speed you will end up in the broom wagon. 18kph does not sound that fast
> (2kph less than I did the National 400 last year) albeit a few more hills.

I think Phil L was trying to say that its not a trivial "ride along a sustrans route".

For someone who is a keen cyclist and knows what it is, I'm sure they could do it. But, if their
longest ever ride was the charity London to Brighton, and Ditchling Beacon "nearly killed them",
then the Etape isn't really for them.

NC.

"NC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > Thanks, will do. Phil Liggett was trying to put people off it on the ITV prog last night by
> > saying if you don't do a min speed you will end up in the broom wagon. 18kph does not sound that
> > fast (2kph less than I did the National 400 last year) albeit a few more hills.
>
> I think Phil L was trying to say that its not a trivial "ride along a sustrans route".
>
> For someone who is a keen cyclist and knows what it is, I'm sure they
could
> do it. But, if their longest ever ride was the charity London to Brighton, and Ditchling Beacon
> "nearly killed them", then the Etape isn't really for them.
>
>
> NC.
>
>

I feel sick already!!!!

---
4 days to go! L'Etape du Tour 2003, rider number 3295 http://www.letapedutour.com/2003/us/index.htm

"NC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I think Phil L was trying to say that its not a trivial "ride along a sustrans route".
>
> For someone who is a keen cyclist and knows what it is, I'm sure they could do it. But, if their
> longest ever ride was the charity London to Brighton, and Ditchling Beacon "nearly killed them",
> then the Etape isn't really for them.

I particularly liked the e-mail which started it; _I am thinking of doing it for fun_ . Was he also
thinking of doing it in a diving suit and lead boots?

From the Etape website:

English rider, Cormac Weldon, aged 37 had a serious accident on the Soudet descent.

Three of the first five riders had the same forename, Laurent. Strange coincidence or what?
--
Michael MacClancy

Status
Not open for further replies.