Blimey USPS are flying along

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Terry, Jul 9, 2003.

  1. Terry

    Terry Guest

    Tags:

  2. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Terry" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > How the bloody hell did they make that much time up, whoa!!!

    No spoilers for those not watching live ......

    Put TdF: Stage # in the subject .. keep spoilers in the body .. :)

    Thanks

  3. Martin

    Martin Guest

    "Terry" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > How the bloody hell did they make that much time up, whoa!!!

    Thanks for that:saved me the bother of not watching any news/reading paper etc tonight and getting
    up at 0150 tomorrow to find out the result by watching ITV1

  4. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Terry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > How the bloody hell did they make that much time up, whoa!!!
    >
    > Thanks for that:saved me the bother of not watching any news/reading paper etc tonight and getting
    > up at 0150 tomorrow to find out the result by watching ITV1

    Can we change the FAQ quickly to stop this stuff from happening .. ? BTW, getting up at 0150? Not
    staying up?!

  5. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Terry wrote:
    > How the bloody hell did they make that much time up, whoa!!!

    Terry, Here is what I first thought of replying: How lucky I am to be just about to watch the TdF
    highlights programme on TV and only know such trivial details, having kept myself awake until this
    time in the morning by reading newsgroups. Perhaps next time you could enlighten people to a more
    irritating level, but not me.

    Terry-------------->>>>>>>>>>>>killfile.

    Then I realised I was English.

    The polite version goes like this - please don't spoil other people's enjoyment of delayed coverage
    of such events by posting things which give away what happens, _especially_ in the title of the
    post. You're not really in my killfile. Most of that was just to make the point.

    --
    Jim Price

    http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

    Aye!.

  6. Terry

    Terry Guest

    "Jim Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Terry wrote:
    > > How the bloody hell did they make that much time up, whoa!!!
    >
    > Terry, Here is what I first thought of replying: How lucky I am to be just about to watch the TdF
    > highlights programme on TV and only know such trivial details, having kept myself awake until this
    > time in the morning by reading newsgroups. Perhaps next time you could enlighten people to a more
    > irritating level, but not me.
    >
    > Terry-------------->>>>>>>>>>>>killfile.
    >
    > Then I realised I was English.
    >
    > The polite version goes like this - please don't spoil other people's enjoyment of delayed
    > coverage of such events by posting things which give away what happens, _especially_ in the title
    > of the post. You're not really in my killfile. Most of that was just to make the point.
    >
    > --
    > Jim Price
    >
    > http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com
    >
    > Conscientious objection is hard work in an economic war.
    >
    > Aye!.

    FFS, it's a public forum etc blah de blah. I honestly didn't mean to spoil it for anyone, apologies
    if I did, twas an honest mistake, I'll make sure I don't do it again, you sometimes forget that
    people don't have Sky TV etc so you assume everyone will know what's happening. Hope that suffices
    for anyone whom I spoilt it for, if not tough, it happened, move on!

    ---
    7 days to go! L'Etape du Tour 2003, rider number 3295 http://www.letapedutour.com/2003/us/index.htm

  7. Martin

    Martin Guest

    > Can we change the FAQ quickly to stop this stuff from happening .. ? BTW, getting up at 0150? Not
    > staying up?!

    I agree. I recorded Tuesday's stage and woke up at 0300 to watch it (disgusting sticky hot night
    anyway), could not sleep through the suspense, May stay up to see it tonight IF NO ONE SPOILS IT!!!

  8. Martin

    Martin Guest

  9. John B

    John B Guest

    Terry wrote:

    > "Jim Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > > The polite version goes like this - please don't spoil other people's enjoyment of delayed
    > > coverage of such events by posting things which give away what happens, _especially_ in the
    > > title of the post. You're not really in my killfile. Most of that was just to make the point.
    >

    > FFS, it's a public forum etc blah de blah.

    Exactly.

    > I honestly didn't mean to spoil it for anyone, apologies if I did, twas an honest mistake, I'll
    > make sure I don't do it again,

    A mistake? Not at all. IMO post what you want.

    > you sometimes forget that people don't have Sky TV etc so you assume everyone will know what's
    > happening.

    If someone posts the result before I know it so what (and I *don't* have a telly).
    - but I probably knew it anyway as I am logged into the letour minute by minute updates ;-)

    > Hope that suffices for anyone whom I spoilt it for, if not tough, it happened, move on!

    Dead right Terry. Its tough. There are also people who may not read about an event 'til it appears a
    week (or more) later in the press. That doesn't mean everyone who does know should keep quiet.

    John B

  10. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    martin <[email protected]> wrote:

    : by the way good luck for the Etape, envy envy, will def try for it next year (any idea
    : where it is?)

    Should be in the Alps next year (tends to alternate), though it might be in the Massif Central also.
    The exact stage is announced after the tour route is announced, usually in January.

    Arthur

    Lord Lester

  11. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Dead right Terry. Its tough. There are also people who may not read about an event 'til it
    > appears a
    week
    > (or more) later in the press. That doesn't mean everyone who does know should keep quiet.

    Well, I'm certainly not going to ruin the TdF for everyone else, and I'm not going to make them not
    want to visit this group for 3 weeks. You make your own choices ...

  12. John B

    John B Guest

    elyob wrote:

    > "John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > Dead right Terry. Its tough. There are also people who may not read about an event 'til it
    > > appears a
    > week
    > > (or more) later in the press. That doesn't mean everyone who does know should keep quiet.
    > >

    > Well, I'm certainly not going to ruin the TdF for everyone else, and I'm not going to make them
    > not want to visit this group for 3 weeks. You make your own choices ...

    Fair enough. There's a break on at the moment No I'm not saying who ;-)

    But you can see at:

    http://www.letour.com/2003/us/index.html

    John B

  13. Martin

    Martin Guest

    "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > martin <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > : by the way good luck for the Etape, envy envy, will def try for it next year (any idea where
    > : it is?)
    >
    > Should be in the Alps next year (tends to alternate), though it might be in the Massif Central
    > also. The exact stage is announced after the tour route is announced, usually in January.

    So how does one get a good chance of a place other than camping outside a newsagents that sells
    Velo? Is it open entry or do previous entrants get priority L2B stylee?? what are arrangemnets for
    getting back to the start like other than posting car-shares on the etape forum?

  14. Terry

    Terry Guest

  15. Terry

    Terry Guest

    "martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > martin <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > : by the way good luck for the Etape, envy envy, will def try for it next year (any idea where
    > > : it is?)
    > >
    > > Should be in the Alps next year (tends to alternate), though it might be in the Massif Central
    > > also. The exact stage is announced after the tour route is announced, usually in January.
    >
    > So how does one get a good chance of a place other than camping outside a newsagents that sells
    > Velo? Is it open entry or do previous entrants get priority L2B stylee?? what are arrangemnets for
    > getting back to the start like other than posting car-shares on the etape forum?

    Download the form from the website, that's what I did, filled in the form etc, sent it off. It
    appears on the internet the same day it appears in the Velo.

    ---
    6 days to go! L'Etape du Tour 2003, rider number 3295 http://www.letapedutour.com/2003/us/index.htm

  16. Martin

    Martin Guest

    "Terry" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > martin <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > : by the way good luck for the Etape, envy envy, will def try for it next year (any idea where
    > > > : it is?)
    > > >
    > > > Should be in the Alps next year (tends to alternate), though it might be in the Massif Central
    > > > also. The exact stage is announced after the tour route is announced, usually in January.
    > >
    > > So how does one get a good chance of a place other than camping outside a newsagents that sells
    > > Velo? Is it open entry or do previous entrants get priority L2B stylee?? what are arrangemnets
    > > for getting back to the start like other than posting car-shares on the etape forum?
    >

    > Download the form from the website, that's what I did, filled in the form etc, sent it off. It
    > appears on the internet the same day it appears in the Velo.

    Thanks, will do. Phil Liggett was trying to put people off it on the ITV prog last night by saying
    if you don't do a min speed you will end up in the broom wagon. 18kph does not sound that fast (2kph
    less than I did the National 400 last year) albeit a few more hills.Let us know how you got on.

  17. Nc

    Nc Guest

    "martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Thanks, will do. Phil Liggett was trying to put people off it on the ITV prog last night by saying
    > if you don't do a min speed you will end up in the broom wagon. 18kph does not sound that fast
    > (2kph less than I did the National 400 last year) albeit a few more hills.

    I think Phil L was trying to say that its not a trivial "ride along a sustrans route".

    For someone who is a keen cyclist and knows what it is, I'm sure they could do it. But, if their
    longest ever ride was the charity London to Brighton, and Ditchling Beacon "nearly killed them",
    then the Etape isn't really for them.

    NC.

  18. Terry

    Terry Guest

    "NC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > Thanks, will do. Phil Liggett was trying to put people off it on the ITV prog last night by
    > > saying if you don't do a min speed you will end up in the broom wagon. 18kph does not sound that
    > > fast (2kph less than I did the National 400 last year) albeit a few more hills.
    >
    > I think Phil L was trying to say that its not a trivial "ride along a sustrans route".
    >
    > For someone who is a keen cyclist and knows what it is, I'm sure they
    could
    > do it. But, if their longest ever ride was the charity London to Brighton, and Ditchling Beacon
    > "nearly killed them", then the Etape isn't really for them.
    >

    > NC.

    I feel sick already!!!!

    ---
    4 days to go! L'Etape du Tour 2003, rider number 3295 http://www.letapedutour.com/2003/us/index.htm

  19. Martin

    Martin Guest

    "NC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > I think Phil L was trying to say that its not a trivial "ride along a sustrans route".
    >
    > For someone who is a keen cyclist and knows what it is, I'm sure they could do it. But, if their
    > longest ever ride was the charity London to Brighton, and Ditchling Beacon "nearly killed them",
    > then the Etape isn't really for them.

    I particularly liked the e-mail which started it; _I am thinking of doing it for fun_ . Was he also
    thinking of doing it in a diving suit and lead boots?

  20. From the Etape website:

    English rider, Cormac Weldon, aged 37 had a serious accident on the Soudet descent.

    Three of the first five riders had the same forename, Laurent. Strange coincidence or what?
    --
    Michael MacClancy