Blind People Protest - Hybrid Cars Are Too Quiet

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS

Guest
Same problem has always existed, even for sighted people, with goddam
bicyclists. Noisemakers should be on hybrid cars and bikes too.

http://www.siliconvalley.com/news/ci_7068419?nclick_check=1

Blind people say quiet hybrid cars pose safety risk
Associated Press
Article Launched: 10/02/2007 11:56:29 PM PDT

BALTIMORE - Gas-electric hybrid vehicles, the status symbol for the
environmentally conscientious, are coming under attack from a constituency
that doesn't drive: the blind.

Because hybrids make virtually no noise at slower speeds when they run
solely on electric power, blind people say they pose a hazard to those who
rely on their ears to determine whether it's safe to cross the street or
walk through a parking lot.

"I'm used to being able to get sound cues from my environment and negotiate
accordingly. I hadn't imagined there was anything I really wouldn't be able
to hear," said Deborah Kent Stein, chairwoman of the National Federation of
the Blind's Committee on Automotive and Pedestrian Safety. "We did a test,
and I discovered, to my great dismay, that I couldn't hear it."

Officials with the Baltimore-based National Federation of the Blind are
quick to point out that they're not advocating a return to gas guzzlers.
They'd just like the fuel-efficient hybrids to make some noise.

(snip)

Blind people are not the only ones who've had close calls. Linda Murphy,
57, a personal administrative assistant from San Marcos, Calif., has 20/20
vision when she wears her glasses, but she's almost been hit twice by
hybrids.

"I'm walking right in back of it and it's moving and I didn't realize it
until it nearly touched me," Murphy said, describing the first of her
scares. "I never realized how dependent I was on my ears until I almost got
hit."

The problem isn't that the cars are too quiet, or that people rely on the
noise to jump out of the way. It's that for some reason, some drivers (or
even some bicyclists) are expecting pedestrians to get out of their way.
Drivers shouldn't be backing up when there are pedestrians walking behind
them whether they are in environmentally friendly vehicles or not. Drivers
and cyclists shouldn't be buzzing pedestrians.

Now I do understand some of the blind people protest, in that there are many
intersections with signals that do not have the sound to signal when the
walk sign is activated. I helped one blind man cross our big intersection
one quiet Sunday morning because there were no cars, so he didn't hear
anything, so he wasn't sure when the light was green. Audio signals would
help.

On Oct 7, 9:27 am, "Cathy Kearns" <[email protected]> wrote:
> The problem isn't that the cars are too quiet, or that people rely on the
> noise to jump out of the way. It's that for some reason, some drivers (or
> even some bicyclists) are expecting pedestrians to get out of their way.

That's part of it, to be sure. People in cars or on bikes want to
push around the walkers. It's like the so-called work boat rule you
see on water - The bigger boat has the right of way.

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
> Same problem has always existed, even for sighted people, with goddam
> bicyclists. Noisemakers should be on hybrid cars and bikes too.
>
> http://www.siliconvalley.com/news/ci_7068419?nclick_check=1
>
> Blind people say quiet hybrid cars pose safety risk
> Associated Press
> Article Launched: 10/02/2007 11:56:29 PM PDT
>
> BALTIMORE - Gas-electric hybrid vehicles, the status symbol for the
> environmentally conscientious, are coming under attack from a
> constituency that doesn't drive: the blind.

I own a Prius, and this is a problem when backing up. The car makes NO
noise. It is my responsibility to look -- absolutely my responsibility --
but a little help never hurt anyone and there are small kids in the
neighborhood.

I've looked for the replacement backup lights that make noise, but they
don't seem to be made in the bulb size the Prius uses (yes, even the ones
that say they "fit all cars"). If anyone has found these, please post a
link.

=v= I agree that the overall problem is motorists who refuse to
yield to pedestrians, which has morphed into a streetscape where
pedestrians are largely not taken into account. That's the REAL
problem; addressing anything short of that is foolish.

> I own a Prius, and this is a problem when backing up. The car
> makes NO noise.

=v= Huh? I thought it made a beeping sound and there were
self-satisfied geeks bragging that they figured out how to hack
it to turn the sound off. Or is that another model?
<_Jym_>

Jym Dyer wrote:
> =v= I agree that the overall problem is motorists who refuse to
> yield to pedestrians, which has morphed into a streetscape where
> pedestrians are largely not taken into account. That's the REAL
> problem; addressing anything short of that is foolish.
>
>> I own a Prius, and this is a problem when backing up. The car
>> makes NO noise.

> =v= Huh? I thought it made a beeping sound and there were
> self-satisfied geeks bragging that they figured out how to hack
> it to turn the sound off. Or is that another model?
> <_Jym_>

The beeping sound in reverse is audible to the driver inside the car but is
NOT audible outside the car (at least on my 2006).

On Oct 7, 11:35 am, "Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:> Same problem has always existed, even for sighted people, with goddam
> > bicyclists. Noisemakers should be on hybrid cars and bikes too.

> >http://www.siliconvalley.com/news/ci_7068419?nclick_check=1

> > Blind people say quiet hybrid cars pose safety risk
> > Associated Press
> > Article Launched: 10/02/2007 11:56:29 PM PDT

> > BALTIMORE - Gas-electric hybrid vehicles, the status symbol for the
> > environmentally conscientious, are coming under attack from a
> > constituency that doesn't drive: the blind.

> I own a Prius, and this is a problem when backing up. The car makes NO
> noise. It is my responsibility to look -- absolutely my responsibility --
> but a little help never hurt anyone and there are small kids in the
> neighborhood.
>
> I've looked for the replacement backup lights that make noise, but they
> don't seem to be made in the bulb size the Prius uses (yes, even the ones
> that say they "fit all cars"). If anyone has found these, please post a
> link.

http://tinyurl.com/3c559v

Read the comment. :-D

..

> "I'm walking right in back of it and it's moving and I didn't realize it
> until it nearly touched me," Murphy said, describing the first of her
> scares. "I never realized how dependent I was on my ears until I almost
> got
> hit."

Umm, I know the Toyota Prius BEEPS when it backs up. I would assume other
hybrids do, too, because they only use the electric motor when at slow
speeds. I think this woman is just distracted or talking on her cell.

landotter wrote:
> On Oct 7, 11:35 am, "Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:> Same problem has
>> always existed, even for sighted people, with goddam
>>> bicyclists. Noisemakers should be on hybrid cars and bikes too.

>>> http://www.siliconvalley.com/news/ci_7068419?nclick_check=1

>>> Blind people say quiet hybrid cars pose safety risk
>>> Associated Press
>>> Article Launched: 10/02/2007 11:56:29 PM PDT

>>> BALTIMORE - Gas-electric hybrid vehicles, the status symbol for the
>>> environmentally conscientious, are coming under attack from a
>>> constituency that doesn't drive: the blind.

>> I own a Prius, and this is a problem when backing up. The car makes
>> NO
>> noise. It is my responsibility to look -- absolutely my
>> responsibility --
>> but a little help never hurt anyone and there are small kids in the
>> neighborhood.
>>
>> I've looked for the replacement backup lights that make noise, but
>> they
>> don't seem to be made in the bulb size the Prius uses (yes, even the
>> ones
>> that say they "fit all cars"). If anyone has found these, please
>> post a
>> link.

> http://tinyurl.com/3c559v
>
> Read the comment. :-D

Thanks for calling my attention to the comment!!

But there's a link to a more standard back-up alarm that I'll investigate. I
was looking for simple (replacement backup bulb that beeps), but maybe the
one-wire connection wouldn't be so hard.
http://tinyurl.com/2em8d6

"Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've looked for the replacement backup lights that make noise, but they
> don't seem to be made in the bulb size the Prius uses (yes, even the ones
> that say they "fit all cars"). If anyone has found these, please post a
> link.

I got an email about this item the other day:

http://www.safetybeep.com/

It sticks on the backup light, and when the light is on, it beeps. No idea
if it works or not, or how well.

-=- Tom

Jym Dyer wrote:
> =v= I agree that the overall problem is motorists who refuse to
> yield to pedestrians, which has morphed into a streetscape where
> pedestrians are largely not taken into account. That's the REAL
> problem; addressing anything short of that is foolish.

Morning commutes around here, pedestrians wearing dark clothing (nearly
impossible to see) will just walk right out in front of you because the
law says they have the right-of-way. Seems to me that the law is
backwards. It's certainly a LOT easier for a pedestrian to see a
lighted vehicle than for a a driver to see an unlit (in dark clothing
no-less!) pedestrian!

Tom D wrote:
> "Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I've looked for the replacement backup lights that make noise, but
>> they don't seem to be made in the bulb size the Prius uses (yes,
>> even the ones that say they "fit all cars"). If anyone has found
>> these, please post a link.

> I got an email about this item the other day:
>
> http://www.safetybeep.com/
>
> It sticks on the backup light, and when the light is on, it beeps. No idea
> if it works or not, or how well.

Looks simple enough. It's cheap enough. I ordered one. I'll report back
after a time.

This is a very annoying website, but then I thought that might be the case
since you mentioned you got an e-mail about the item.

In article <[email protected]>,
jcr <[email protected]> writes:
> Jym Dyer wrote:
>> =v= I agree that the overall problem is motorists who refuse to
>> yield to pedestrians, which has morphed into a streetscape where
>> pedestrians are largely not taken into account. That's the REAL
>> problem; addressing anything short of that is foolish.
>>

> Morning commutes around here, pedestrians wearing dark clothing (nearly
> impossible to see) will just walk right out in front of you because the
> law says they have the right-of-way.

{\sarcasm
How awful! Stoopid law! If that's what The Law says,
then The Law is a ass! A idiot!
}

Y'know what breaks my heart? When I cheerfully stop on my
bike for pedestrians, and they apologize to me for "making
me stop" -- IOW, for my respecting their basic rights of
mobility. They'd probably apologize to you too, but you
can't hear 'em while you're cut off from the real world,
inside your car.

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

On Oct 7, 5:13 pm, jcr <[email protected]> wrote:

> Morning commutes around here, pedestrians wearing dark clothing (nearly
> impossible to see) will just walk right out in front of you because the
> law says they have the right-of-way. Seems to me that the law is
> backwards. It's certainly a LOT easier for a pedestrian to see a
> lighted vehicle than for a a driver to see an unlit (in dark clothing
> no-less!) pedestrian!

Seems to me the law is correct. Slow down. Watch where you're
going. The world wasn't built for motorists exclusive use.

- Frank Krygowski

[email protected] wrote:
> On Oct 7, 5:13 pm, jcr <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Morning commutes around here, pedestrians wearing dark clothing (nearly
>>impossible to see) will just walk right out in front of you because the
>>law says they have the right-of-way. Seems to me that the law is
>>backwards. It's certainly a LOT easier for a pedestrian to see a
>>lighted vehicle than for a a driver to see an unlit (in dark clothing
>>no-less!) pedestrian!

> Seems to me the law is correct. Slow down. Watch where you're
> going. The world wasn't built for motorists exclusive use.
>
> - Frank Krygowski

I once was driving down a poorly-lit street after dark. An
African-American gentleman, dressed head to toe in black, was crossing
the street in the direction I was traveling. Unfortunately for him, I
was turning left. I literally didn't see him until my headlights swung
around, of course I immediately stopped, but he was rather irate because
I "almost hit him."

I do not feel that I was negligent in any way and wish people would use
some goddamn common sense. Just because you have the right of way does
not mean that you're not an idiot.

Of course, we know that you just hate cars, so don't let reality get in
the way of a good rant.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

In article <[email protected]>,
Nate Nagel <[email protected]> writes:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> On Oct 7, 5:13 pm, jcr <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Morning commutes around here, pedestrians wearing dark clothing (nearly
>>>impossible to see) will just walk right out in front of you because the
>>>law says they have the right-of-way. Seems to me that the law is
>>>backwards. It's certainly a LOT easier for a pedestrian to see a
>>>lighted vehicle than for a a driver to see an unlit (in dark clothing
>>>no-less!) pedestrian!

>> Seems to me the law is correct. Slow down. Watch where you're
>> going. The world wasn't built for motorists exclusive use.
>>
>> - Frank Krygowski

> I once was driving down a poorly-lit street after dark. An
> African-American gentleman, dressed head to toe in black, was crossing
> the street in the direction I was traveling. Unfortunately for him, I
> was turning left. I literally didn't see him until my headlights swung
> around, of course I immediately stopped, but he was rather irate because
> I "almost hit him."
>
> I do not feel that I was negligent in any way and wish people would use
> some goddamn common sense. Just because you have the right of way does
> not mean that you're not an idiot.
>
> Of course, we know that you just hate cars, so don't let reality get in
> the way of a good rant.

You should be more careful.

--

On Oct 7, 9:35 pm, Nate Nagel <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > On Oct 7, 5:13 pm, jcr <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>Morning commutes around here, pedestrians wearing dark clothing (nearly
> >>impossible to see) will just walk right out in front of you because the
> >>law says they have the right-of-way. Seems to me that the law is
> >>backwards. It's certainly a LOT easier for a pedestrian to see a
> >>lighted vehicle than for a a driver to see an unlit (in dark clothing
> >>no-less!) pedestrian!

> > Seems to me the law is correct. Slow down. Watch where you're
> > going. The world wasn't built for motorists exclusive use.

> > - Frank Krygowski

> I once was driving down a poorly-lit street after dark. An
> African-American gentleman, dressed head to toe in black, was crossing
> the street in the direction I was traveling. Unfortunately for him, I
> was turning left. I literally didn't see him until my headlights swung
> around, of course I immediately stopped, but he was rather irate because
> I "almost hit him."
>
> I do not feel that I was negligent in any way and wish people would use
> some goddamn common sense. Just because you have the right of way does
> not mean that you're not an idiot.

Hmm. Perhaps you're right. He should have become Scandinavian, for
your convenience.

Or wasn't that what you meant?

> Of course, we know that you just hate cars, so don't let reality get in
> the way of a good rant.

"Just hate cars" is overly simplistic.

But I do hate puerile car worshippers who think it's their right to
drive everywhere at the maximum speed they desire, no matter what harm
they do to anyone or anything else.

- Frank Krygowski

On Oct 7, 10:35 am, "Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I own a Prius, and this is a problem when backing up. The car makes NO
> noise. It is my responsibility to look -- absolutely my responsibility --
> but a little help never hurt anyone and there are small kids in the
> neighborhood.
>
> I've looked for the replacement backup lights that make noise, but they
> don't seem to be made in the bulb size the Prius uses (yes, even the ones
> that say they "fit all cars"). If anyone has found these, please post a
> link.

Just hit the horn before backing up. I do that a lot anyway even
though my car is standard IC.

On Oct 7, 7:30 pm, [email protected] wrote:

> Seems to me the law is correct. Slow down. Watch where you're
> going. The world wasn't built for motorists exclusive use.
>
> - Frank Krygowski

Yup - slow driving would make our highways a lot safer for both
drivers and peds. But the auto industry, which makes a fortune off car
crashes, pays the media to glamorize speeding and the idiot american
goes along with the brainwashing like they always do.

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS:
> On Oct 7, 7:30 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>

> > Seems to me the law is correct. Slow down. Watch where you're
> > going. The world wasn't built for motorists exclusive use.
> >
> > - Frank Krygowski

> Yup - slow driving would make our highways a lot safer for both
> drivers and peds. But the auto industry, which makes a fortune off car
> crashes, pays the media to glamorize speeding and the idiot american
> goes along with the brainwashing like they always do.

k0000000k-a-DooooooodddddllllEEEE-D000000000!!!!!!

"There's not a shred of evidence that the jerries murdered anything
close to 7 million jooz. Another monstrous lie just like the 9-11
official story. "

-- Laura Bush murdered her boyfriend, 12/01/2004
Ref: http://tinyurl.com/9oog5