"Bling" is moronic.

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by BassDave, Oct 27, 2005.

1. BassDave

BassDave New Member

I was watching a program about these "music stars" and ball players that 'tricked out their cars', and I saw the whole thing as being VERY stupid and a colossal waste of money. The vehicles were bad enough, but when I see men wearing diamond cladded (and huge) 'sunglasses' and blinged up clothing, I can only role my eyes. Talk about truly tasteless. If that's 'bling', I'll gladly remain the way I am.

Tags:

2. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

bling = look how much money i have

it seems to me that the poorer the background/upbringing these people have, the more bling they seem to want.

you ever watch Cribs on MTV?....sickening how some people are so wealthy and just waste so much money on trivial and unimportant things like diamond studded sink plugs and plasma TVs in the shower.

One woman (i forget who she was) actually hired 3 full time 'staff' inside her wardrobe to look after her clothes. Her wardrobe was the size of a small European country.
    Then they have a collection of classic american morotcycles, 14 cars a helicopter and a stable of horses.

they are no longer living in the real world.

being poor musta fucked them up good when they were young.

3. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I agree, dave.

It's pretty tasteless tack - even though it's very expensive (I'd imagine ??).

There is no accounting for taste.
    if "role models" went around with a turd on their head, you'd get sheep following them.

You'd be surprised at how easily people can be manipulated : you only have to look at "fashion".
    My wife will insist on buying stuff even though it may not suit her - she has to
    follow the fashion.
    My sister was exactly the same.
    (not that this is meant to be an attack on women).

4. darkboong

darkboong New Member

The Bling effect seems to be a by-product of rich folks not having to prioritise what they buy, they can buy everything they see, so they end up with a huge pile of junk rather than a small pile of really good stuff.

My job happens to take me inside rich people's homes fairly frequently. Most of the customers started with a lot of money, yet many of them suffer from the Bling problem too. I don't think it has much to do with rich/poor background.

Undoubtedly many of those people are living in a different world, but it's a pretty cruel and often lonely one. AFAICT many of these folks have staff for company *and* for the simple satisfaction of having people to order around. Little more to it.

5. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Maybe the "bling" issue is tied in to the "chav" issue.

I see young ones going round with Burberry bags/scarves.
    How can they afford it ?

6. cheapie

cheapie New Member

i agree. absofreakinlutely a waste of money.

/goes back to scouring the web for a carbon stem to save a few grams. :D

7. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

apparently the people at burberry hate the chav image and are trying to ditch it...not easy though.

8. eric_the_red

eric_the_red New Member

It might be a waste of money to us but most of those music 'stars' and athletes have more money than they know what to do with, so let them spend it, it's good for the economy.

9. TrekDedicated

TrekDedicated New Member

'Bling' is such a joke. Let me show off how much money I have with worthless pieces of jewerly (not really worthless, but you get my point) with my name 'P Diddy' 'P Duffy' or 'D to the Izzle" or what ever their names are now.

Whenever they complain about 'money issues', I just think, go sell the rock around your neck. Then again, they would probably forget their names if they couldn't look down and check every now and then.

10. Hypnospin

Hypnospin New Member

how about the anti-bling, a '54 fender precision, with finish all yellowed, crazed, flaking, pitted and burnished?

oh, lawdy, wait what'll that costya, nevermind...

11. Wurm

Wurm New Member

Now THAT is a legitimate wasteage of moola! I'm sorry, but every roadie should have at least one hunk of over-priced carbon, titanium, or scandium attached to his/her bike.

:D

12. lyotard

lyotard New Member

this roadie has a steel bike, but is soon to finish the build of a bike that has carbon hanging off of carbon ad infinitum.

i will perhaps post a pic, unless this will cause me to be despised.

what do you think?

13. Wurm

Wurm New Member

*Laff!*

I'm riding a proletariat steel frame as well, albeit with some carbon bits: cranks, levers, monocoque fork, post, spacers, and my saddle even has a ti frame! :eek: I hope this doesn't mean I've "sold out the cause".

Hell, some of 'em hate us anyway, lyotard. ;) Now you can give 'em a good reason to 'sod off'.

I think you should post it when ready.

14. Chance3290

Chance3290 New Member

Anyone remember the movie "The Producers"? "THAT'S IT BABY, WHEN YOU GOT IT...FLAUNT IT!! FLAUNT IT!!

I think its a by-product of the 'over-night' rich. Those who had nothing and suddenly find they have money. Instead of investing in something tangible, they buy flash-cars, diamonds, gold, etc, so they can show everyone what they've got. They believe the bling tells others that they are somebody.
    If history is any judge, these bling items will soon be up for sale to pay for back taxes.

15. NYYTEX22

NYYTEX22 New Member

I believe that was Mariah Carey, at her like 2 or 3 story "penthouse" in New York City!

16. lwedge

lwedge New Member

Very good mein herr, her wardrobe was an exact replica of Lichtenstein.

Tex was right it was and probably still is Mariah (Cub's Win) Carey's Penthouse.
    Before the diamonds and gold it was strutting around your village with the biggest and best 'Bird of Paradise' feathers around you neck - I BIG man in willage.

When I was a kid, it was Puca Shells.

Lw

17. Induray

Induray New Member

Blah..blah ..blah. If we all suddenly acquire massive amount of wealth. We all be doing the same crap. Riding Bling bikes with diamond studded aheadsets and shiny wheels that spokes keep turning while we are doing track stands.