General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Blisters/Plasters

Started by Dunstable Dasher · · Last activity · 50 posts · 1,394 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
14 January 2006
Last activity
18 January 2006
Original author
Dunstable Dasher
Posts
50
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,394
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 50
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 13:43:34 +0000, "W. D. Grey"
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    |In article <[email hidden]>, Alan
    |Dicey <[email hidden]> writes
    |>I've been type 1 diabetic for eleven years and so far have no sign of
    |>neuropathy - but in any case, I can't see how it would have any bearing
    |>on the use of blister plasters, Compeed, Spenco or A.N. Other. Once
    |>detected, I have to treat any injury just like anyone else; taking more
    |>care as diabetics can heal more slowly.
    |
    |Hi Alan,
    |
    |To put this in perspective let me quote from the instructions that come
    |inside the pack containing the Compeed "plasters"
    |
    |<quote>
    |
    |In case of diabetes or inflammation consult your GP before using Compeed
    |
    |<\quote>
    |
    |You have to open the pack then look at the back of the instructions to
    |see this

    It does *not* say that these plasters are bad for diabetics, it
    --
    Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
    17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.net
    For Yorkshire Dialect go to www.hyphenologist.co.uk/songs/

  2. W. D. Grey said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Alan
    Dicey <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    I've been type 1 diabetic for eleven years and so far have no sign of
    neuropathy - but in any case, I can't see how it would have any
    bearing on the use of blister plasters, Compeed, Spenco or A.N.
    Other. Once detected, I have to treat any injury just like anyone
    else; taking more care as diabetics can heal more slowly.

    Hi Alan,

    To put this in perspective let me quote from the instructions that come
    inside the pack containing the Compeed "plasters"

    <quote>

    In case of diabetes or inflammation consult your GP before using Compeed

    <\quote>

    You have to open the pack then look at the back of the instructions to
    see this

    Standard disclaimer, then, to guard against the remote possibility that
    a diabetic with neuropathy notices a blister, applies the Compeed and
    then forgets about it. And I read it not as "don't use Compeed if
    diabetic" but as "talk to your Doctor about why you've got a blister if
    you're diabetic".

    Diabetics are encouraged to find out what caused the injury and treat
    the problem, not the symptom, or at least I have been so advised. As
    you said earlier, probably [censored]-covering by Compeed's legal advisors.

  3. On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 12:56:35 GMT, in
    <[email hidden]> (uk.rec.walking)

    Mark Thompson said:
    Quoted message said:

    They differ from the zinc oxide tape I knew as a nipper, in that they
    are actually individual gel-filled blisters themselves, but they *are*
    kind of whiteish and may well have zinc oxide in them.

    I think I was looking at the roll of tape below those ones :~)

    I surmised as much shortly after hitting 'send' 🙂

    I can't tell you anything about the roll, never knowingly having tried
    it.
    --
    Charlie

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    In case of diabetes or inflammation consult your GP before using Compeed

    <\quote>

    You have to open the pack then look at the back of the instructions to
    see this

    Standard disclaimer, then, to guard against the remote possibility that
    a diabetic with neuropathy notices a blister, applies the Compeed and
    then forgets about it. And I read it not as "don't use Compeed if
    diabetic" but as "talk to your Doctor about why you've got a blister if
    you're diabetic".

    Diabetics are encouraged to find out what caused the injury and treat
    the problem, not the symptom, or at least I have been so advised. As
    you said earlier, probably [censored]-covering by Compeed's legal advisors.


    Just dropped in on this one. I work for a company which sells dressings
    to the medical profession. The concern with diabetics and their feet is
    that the choice of dressing may occlude oxygen from the wound and allow
    anaerobic bacteria to run rampant and set up a major foot infection.
    Anything on a diabetic foot ulcer should really be changed at the latest
    after 3 days so that the foot can be checked for any signs of infection.
    hope that helps.
    --
    Craig Oldfield

  5. [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:

    Diabetics have to take extra care of their

    Quoted message said:

    feet because of circulatory issues - at least that's my understanding of
    it. Read the label before buying - but presumably they'd be OK in an
    emergency if used just the once?

    Probably - the manufacturers are covering their posteriors by stating
    the unsuitability of their product for diabetics.

    The SPA foot-baths are also forbidden - but again if only used very
    casually I wonder if they are "dangerous"?


    Foot massagers with warm water in? Forbidden? But that's - that's
    almost sacreligious! What's the risk of those supposed to be, Bill? To
    my untrained brain they'd be beneficial, and to be encouraged.
    --
    To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
    where common sense dictates.

  6. [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:

    One of the complications of diabetes is peripheral neuropathy, loss of
    sensation in the extremities. It is by no means inevitable that a
    diabetic will suffer this, and indeed with modern methods it is much
    easier to maintain good control and stave off the appearance of any
    complications.

    Peripheral neuropathy means that you run the risk of injuring the foot
    and not noticing it, allowing the injury to worsen or become infected.
    Diabetics are advised to examine their feet carefully at regular
    intervals (like every time you wash them), to detect injury or the onset
    of neuropathy straight away.

    I've been type 1 diabetic for eleven years and so far have no sign of
    neuropathy - but in any case, I can't see how it would have any bearing
    on the use of blister plasters, Compeed, Spenco or A.N. Other. Once
    detected, I have to treat any injury just like anyone else; taking more
    care as diabetics can heal more slowly.


    Thanks Alan. That explains the medical situation, which I now see I'd
    misunderstood, but not the posterior-covering - which is hopefully all
    the warnings are. Maybe the perceived risks are to those who already
    have the neuropathy rather than those who don't, but it would take too
    much room and be too complicated to say so on the box? Oh well, I dare
    say they have their reasons...
    --
    To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
    where common sense dictates.

  7. [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:

    To put this in perspective let me quote from the instructions that come
    inside the pack containing the Compeed "plasters"

    <quote>

    In case of diabetes or inflammation consult your GP before using Compeed

    <\quote>


    Oh well, that's easy then. Just make sure you have your GP with you
    every time you go out for a walk...
    --
    To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
    where common sense dictates.

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:

    Diabetics have to take extra care of their

    Quoted message said:

    feet because of circulatory issues - at least that's my understanding of
    it. Read the label before buying - but presumably they'd be OK in an
    emergency if used just the once?

    Probably - the manufacturers are covering their posteriors by stating
    the unsuitability of their product for diabetics.

    The SPA foot-baths are also forbidden - but again if only used very
    casually I wonder if they are "dangerous"?


    Foot massagers with warm water in? Forbidden? But that's - that's
    almost sacreligious! What's the risk of those supposed to be, Bill? To
    my untrained brain they'd be beneficial, and to be encouraged.


    That's because the neuropath can't sense the temperature of the water so
    if something goes wrong with the thermostat and the temp gets too high,
    the result is a burned foot. I've seen enough of them to realise that
    it's not just "back covering"
    --
    Craig Oldfield

  9. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've been type 1 diabetic for eleven years and so far have no sign of
    neuropathy - but in any case, I can't see how it would have any bearing
    on the use of blister plasters, Compeed, Spenco or A.N. Other. Once
    detected, I have to treat any injury just like anyone else; taking more
    care as diabetics can heal more slowly.


    Thanks Alan. That explains the medical situation, which I now see I'd
    misunderstood, but not the posterior-covering - which is hopefully all
    the warnings are. Maybe the perceived risks are to those who already
    have the neuropathy rather than those who don't,

    The problem being, a neuropath, by their nature, probably wouldn't be
    aware of lack of pain response until damage is done.

    --
    Craig Oldfield

  10. [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've been type 1 diabetic for eleven years and so far have no sign of
    neuropathy - but in any case, I can't see how it would have any bearing
    on the use of blister plasters, Compeed, Spenco or A.N. Other. Once
    detected, I have to treat any injury just like anyone else; taking more
    care as diabetics can heal more slowly.


    Thanks Alan. That explains the medical situation, which I now see I'd
    misunderstood, but not the posterior-covering - which is hopefully all
    the warnings are. Maybe the perceived risks are to those who already
    have the neuropathy rather than those who don't,

    The problem being, a neuropath, by their nature, probably wouldn't be
    aware of lack of pain response until damage is done.


    Ah, see what you mean.

    --
    To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
    where common sense dictates.

  11. [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:

    Diabetics have to take extra care of their
    >feet because of circulatory issues - at least that's my understanding of
    >it. Read the label before buying - but presumably they'd be OK in an
    >emergency if used just the once?

    Probably - the manufacturers are covering their posteriors by stating
    the unsuitability of their product for diabetics.

    The SPA foot-baths are also forbidden - but again if only used very
    casually I wonder if they are "dangerous"?


    Foot massagers with warm water in? Forbidden? But that's - that's
    almost sacreligious! What's the risk of those supposed to be, Bill? To
    my untrained brain they'd be beneficial, and to be encouraged.


    That's because the neuropath can't sense the temperature of the water so
    if something goes wrong with the thermostat and the temp gets too high,
    the result is a burned foot. I've seen enough of them to realise that
    it's not just "back covering"


    Makes sense I suppose, assuming foot spas have come on in the last
    mumble years - which they probably have. The one I've got hasn't got a
    heater as such - it can more or less maintain warmth to a certain
    extent, but it can't actually heat the water up.
    --
    To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
    where common sense dictates.

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Makes sense I suppose, assuming foot spas have come on in the last
    mumble years - which they probably have. The one I've got hasn't got a
    heater as such - it can more or less maintain warmth to a certain
    extent, but it can't actually heat the water up.

    Even then, it's difficult to tell how hot the water is. The hand or
    fingers will work as a guide but when you've seen the damage something
    as simple as a hot water bottle can do, you just wouldn't take the risk.
    For a diabetic, the risk isn't just a burn or an infection, there's a
    major risk of lower limb amputation.

    --
    Craig Oldfield

  13. In article <[email hidden]>, Fran
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Foot massagers with warm water in? Forbidden? But that's - that's
    almost sacreligious! What's the risk of those supposed to be, Bill? To
    my untrained brain they'd be beneficial, and to be encouraged.

    It is alleged they make the feet toooo tender and susceptible to injury!

    Posterior shield again perhaps :-)
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  14. [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Makes sense I suppose, assuming foot spas have come on in the last
    mumble years - which they probably have. The one I've got hasn't got a
    heater as such - it can more or less maintain warmth to a certain
    extent, but it can't actually heat the water up.

    Even then, it's difficult to tell how hot the water is. The hand or
    fingers will work as a guide but when you've seen the damage something
    as simple as a hot water bottle can do, you just wouldn't take the risk.
    For a diabetic, the risk isn't just a burn or an infection, there's a
    major risk of lower limb amputation.


    *Gulp*

    --
    To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
    where common sense dictates.

  15. [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Fran
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Foot massagers with warm water in? Forbidden? But that's - that's
    almost sacreligious! What's the risk of those supposed to be, Bill? To
    my untrained brain they'd be beneficial, and to be encouraged.

    It is alleged they make the feet toooo tender and susceptible to injury!

    Posterior shield again perhaps :-)


    Having seen Craig's post, maybe not...
    --
    To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
    where common sense dictates.

  16. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Foot massagers with warm water in? Forbidden? But that's - that's
    almost sacreligious! What's the risk of those supposed to be, Bill? To
    my untrained brain they'd be beneficial, and to be encouraged.

    It is alleged they make the feet toooo tender and susceptible to injury!

    I've heard that urine toughens the feet up, so maybe diabetics should just
    widdle in the massager. Solves both the problem of delicate feet and the
    too cold/hot dilemma - body temperature would be just right.

  17. Craig Oldfield said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Makes sense I suppose, assuming foot spas have come on in the last
    mumble years - which they probably have. The one I've got hasn't got a
    heater as such - it can more or less maintain warmth to a certain
    extent, but it can't actually heat the water up.

    Even then, it's difficult to tell how hot the water is. The hand or
    fingers will work as a guide but when you've seen the damage something
    as simple as a hot water bottle can do, you just wouldn't take the risk.
    For a diabetic, the risk isn't just a burn or an infection, there's a
    major risk of lower limb amputation.

    Craig, please be accurate - the risk is to someone with neuropathy, not
    someone with diabetes. All diabetics do *not* have neuropathy, so using
    the blanket term "diabetic" is misleading.

    The risk, as I understand it, is that an injury can be ignored, become
    infected and even turn gangrenous without being noticed. Nobody keeps
    their feet as clean as their hands, but even then I struggle to imagine
    how you can ignore your foot turning black and beginning to smell...

    As someone in the medical supplies business, do you have access to
    figures showing what proportion of diabetics do have neuropathy?

    Also, if my feet have become insensitive to heat, isn't it likely that
    my fingers have too?

  18. In message <[email hidden]>, Alan
    Dicey <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    Craig Oldfield said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Makes sense I suppose, assuming foot spas have come on in the last
    mumble years - which they probably have. The one I've got hasn't got
    a heater as such - it can more or less maintain warmth to a certain
    but it can't actually heat the water up.


    Even then, it's difficult to tell how hot the water is. The hand or
    fingers will work as a guide but when you've seen the damage something
    as simple as a hot water bottle can do, you just wouldn't take the
    risk. For a diabetic, the risk isn't just a burn or an infection,
    there's a major risk of lower limb amputation.

    Craig, please be accurate - the risk is to someone with neuropathy, not
    someone with diabetes. All diabetics do *not* have neuropathy, so
    using the blanket term "diabetic" is misleading.

    Surely the biggest risk is to a diabetic who is developing neuropathy
    but is not aware that they are doing do? So warning diabetics in
    general is the only way to do that?

    Quoted message said:


    The risk, as I understand it, is that an injury can be ignored, become
    infected and even turn gangrenous without being noticed. Nobody keeps
    their feet as clean as their hands, but even then I struggle to imagine
    how you can ignore your foot turning black and beginning to smell...

    You'd be surprised what people miss, especially as many diabetics
    develop eyesight problems alongside the neuropathy.

    Quoted message said:


    As someone in the medical supplies business, do you have access to
    figures showing what proportion of diabetics do have neuropathy?

    Just over 20%.
    http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/diab-neuro-cure.html

    Quoted message said:


    Also, if my feet have become insensitive to heat, isn't it likely that
    my fingers have too?

    No necessarily.

    --
    Surfer!
    Email to: ramwater at uk2 dot net

  19. In article <[email hidden]>, Surfer!
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    In message <[email hidden]>, Alan
    Dicey <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:


    As someone in the medical supplies business, do you have access to
    figures showing what proportion of diabetics do have neuropathy?

    Just over 20%.
    http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/diab-neuro-cure.html

    That study found 23.5% of those type 1 diabetics studied developed
    neuropathy during the study period which is not quite the same thing.

    MedlinePlus has an interesting article on diabetic neuropathy:

    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000693.htm

    It states that approximately 50% of diabetics will eventually develop
    nerve damage and the onset is usually 10 to 20 years after diagnosis.

    General diabetes info article:

    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001214.htm

    There is more good stuff on Diabetes UK's website:

    http://www.diabetes.org.uk/

    and

    NHS Direct:
    http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/en.aspx?articleID=128

    --

    Dominic Sexton

  20. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Even then, it's difficult to tell how hot the water is. The hand or
    fingers will work as a guide but when you've seen the damage something
    as simple as a hot water bottle can do, you just wouldn't take the risk.
    For a diabetic, the risk isn't just a burn or an infection, there's a
    major risk of lower limb amputation.

    Craig, please be accurate - the risk is to someone with neuropathy, not
    someone with diabetes. All diabetics do *not* have neuropathy, so using
    the blanket term "diabetic" is misleading.

    Please read what I wrote, the increased risk of infection and amputation
    after an injury is common to diabetics not just neuropaths. Every 30
    seconds, somebody in the world loses a lower limb to diabetes and they
    aint all neuropaths.

    Quoted message said:

    The risk, as I understand it, is that an injury can be ignored, become
    infected and even turn gangrenous without being noticed.

    No, the immune system is compromised by high glucose levels so even if
    an injury is noticed and dealt with, there is still a higher risk of
    infection and the diabetic does not fight infection as well as a non-
    diabetic.

    Quoted message said:

    Nobody keeps
    their feet as clean as their hands, but even then I struggle to imagine
    how you can ignore your foot turning black and beginning to smell...

    It is astounding but the pictures and real feet I've seen do show how
    common it can be.

    Quoted message said:

    As someone in the medical supplies business, do you have access to
    figures showing what proportion of diabetics do have neuropathy?

    I've just had a quick look through some notes from one of my
    presentations but nothing there. If you really want to know I can find
    out for you but be aware there there are different types of neuropathy
    including motor and sensory.
    --
    Craig Oldfield

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.