Bloating From Coffee

bflobiker

Jul 18, 2010
Feel very bloated from drinking coffee. Anyone feel the same? I'm looking for a substitute - can't seem to break caffeine habit.

Weird, it should have a diuretic effect. I've been skipping the cup of coffee and putting a few grounds into my morning smoothies.

technically you are too vague.

I am a coffee drinker so I know something about it.
1) How do you take your coffee? With Milk? With cream? Black?
If you take it with milk, it is possible that milk is your problem and not coffee.
2) Do you drink it on your way to work? In the car?
It's possible that through the sip cup while drinking in the car you are taking in too much air while sipping.
3) Coffee as a diruretic only works if you are NOT an avid coffee drinker.
If you are an avid coffee drinker you probably do not get the jitters either.

Solutions: Back off drinking coffee in the car.
Watch milk in take as well as cheese intake.
try drinking black tea?
Deep massage your tummy.
God luck and you are not alone!

You may be on to something there, especially if he uses milk, and is lactose intolerant. You can still do cheese, but, you have to make sure it's been aged for at least 60 days. The lactose is converted into lactic acid. American cheese is OFF LIMITS.
In the rare case that it's not lactose, he could try tea. If you're looking for a serious caffeine kick, I used to do Morning Thunder. It has more caffeine cup per cup than coffee.

Coffee does work as a diuretic, even long term, but, there's only so much that it gets rid of. You will bloat up somewhat when you stop drinking it (bounceback effect).

Coffee used to wreck havoc with my stomach until i stopped drinking cappucinos and started just drinking espresso. Always have a glass of water to sip along with the coffee..and never a problem.

A few years ago, I started drinking all our home-brewed coffee black. It really helped. Now I only have cream when it's a special occasion, or if someone else's coffee is about the same pH as battery acid.

Originally Posted by frbock .

You may be on to something there, especially if he uses milk, and is lactose intolerant. You can still do cheese, but, you have to make sure it's been aged for at least 60 days. The lactose is converted into lactic acid. American cheese is OFF LIMITS.
In the rare case that it's not lactose, he could try tea. If you're looking for a serious caffeine kick, I used to do Morning Thunder. It has more caffeine cup per cup than coffee.

Coffee does work as a diuretic, even long term, but, there's only so much that it gets rid of. You will bloat up somewhat when you stop drinking it (bounceback effect).
+1 on the aged cheese comment. The more mature the better, both flavour wise as well as seemingly much less reactive in people who don't do well with dairy.
Pecorino cheese (made from sheeps milk, seems to cause no reactions even in those who have tolerance issues. Just make sure it's Pecorino sardo..

American cheese is NOT cheese..and should be off limits for any biped

Originally Posted by Velochump .

A few years ago, I started drinking all our home-brewed coffee black. It really helped. Now I only have cream when it's a special occasion, or if someone else's coffee is about the same pH as battery acid.
re: other peoples coffee being akin to battery acid. I've taken to keeping my little 2shot Bialetti, and a small tupperware container of coffee I gound that morning with me, whenever I go somewhere.. people politely smile, and dismiss it as a quirk, but I never have to suffer vile coffee at peoples houses.

Originally Posted by coneofsilence .

Decaf

Decaf? really? Please tell me you're not one of those people who goes into a Starbucks (Costa, Cafe Nero..etc) and orders a 'decaf non-fat, soya'... semi-skim, flavourless, odourless, cup of dirty looking water, and pretends it to be a cup of coffee...

Originally Posted by jpr95 .

Blech...what's the point? ;)
+1000 on 'What's the point.

For the record:
“It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity. I bet this kind of thing does not happen to heroin addicts. I bet that when serious heroin addicts go to purchase their heroin, they do not tolerate waiting in line while some dilettante in front of them orders a hazelnut smack-a-cino with cinnamon sprinkles.”
~Dave Barry

http://anotherdoorat...theinternet.org

Cycle related blog entries, including a few 5 minute reviews:
http://anotherdoorat...tegory/cycling/

Reactions: jpr95
Originally Posted by Sleeping menace .
Decaf? really? Please tell me you're not one of those people who goes into a Starbucks (Costa, Cafe Nero..etc) and orders a 'decaf non-fat, soya'... semi-skim, flavourless, odourless, cup of dirty looking water, and pretends it to be a cup of coffee...
I don't pretend to drink coffee. I'm proud to drink decaf coffee. I'm not one of the people who have been brain washed into thinking that caffeine is the one thing that will get them through there daily lives. I've never needed caffeine to keep me awake, if anything, when i do drink caffeinated coffee, even at 8am in the morning, i don't sleep at 10pm at night

Originally Posted by ambal .

I need caffeine to function properly.
I feel sorry for you.

Originally Posted by Sleeping menace .

Coffee used to wreck havoc with my stomach until i stopped drinking cappucinos and started just drinking espresso. Always have a glass of water to sip along with the coffee..and never a problem.
Cappucinos are espresso with milk and froth, so the benefit of changing from one to another wasn't because of the coffee portion of the drink...

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Cappucinos are espresso with milk and froth, so the benefit of changing from one to another wasn't because of the coffee portion of the drink...
Yeah, kinda my point exactly, the coffee wasn't the problem.. the milk was..

Originally Posted by coneofsilence .

I feel sorry for you.

Don't. I've gone periods of time without caffeine, but I always go back. For one, I like coffee, but, more importantly, I am simply more alert through the day when I drink my one large, strong cup of (good) coffee in the morning. I'm not an insufferable bear before I get it, but when I'm going without coffee, I just feel a little "off" (even days after the withdrawal symptoms have gone away).

Jason

I had the same thing happened to me when I switched to drinking only black. I googled it a fair bit apparently the acidic nature causes some kind of reaction in some people which creates more gas.

For me the solution was adding cream