Blocking

RS

Guest
I'm using WinVin newsreader. Does anyone know if its possible to
configure this to block a particular poster on this group? Most of us
seem interested in Bikes and related technical issues. A very few are
not.

RS wrote:
> I'm using WinVin newsreader. Does anyone know if its possible to
> configure this to block a particular poster on this group? Most of us
> seem interested in Bikes and related technical issues. A very few are
> not.

Not sure about that reader, but I use ThunderBird which lets you filter
by senders address. It's free.

On Jul 15, 11:34 am, RS <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm using WinVin newsreader. Does anyone know if its possible to
> configure this to block a particular poster on this group? Most of us
> seem interested in Bikes and related technical issues. A very few are
> not.

Dear RS,

You're not likely to find much about WinWin, so a new program may be
worth a try. Search for killfile on this page:

http://www.newsreaders.com/win/clients.html

Here's a thread from January about Windows newsreaders:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec....&q=talk+is+cheap+carl&rnum=1#61324650bd9e37f4

or http://tinyurl.com/2qfrf5

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 11:08:37 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>On Jul 15, 11:34 am, RS <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I'm using WinVin newsreader. Does anyone know if its possible to
>> configure this to block a particular poster on this group? Most of us
>> seem interested in Bikes and related technical issues. A very few are
>> not.

>Dear RS,
>
>You're not likely to find much about WinWin, so a new program may be
>worth a try. Search for killfile on this page:
>
>http://www.newsreaders.com/win/clients.html
>
>Here's a thread from January about Windows newsreaders:
>
>http://groups.google.com/group/rec....&q=talk+is+cheap+carl&rnum=1#61324650bd9e37f4
>
>or http://tinyurl.com/2qfrf5
>
>Cheers,
>
>Carl Fogel

Aaargh! Another typo! WinVin, not WinWin.

CF

RS wrote:
> I'm using WinVin newsreader. Does anyone know if its possible to
> configure this to block a particular poster on this group? Most of us
> seem interested in Bikes and related technical issues. A very few are
> not.

Another vote for Thunderbird. You can block senders and subjects. Not
too terribly sophisticated, but if you take the time to maintain it a
little as needed, it works fine.

On Jul 15, 11:34 am, RS <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm using WinVin newsreader. Does anyone know if its possible to
> configure this to block a particular poster on this group? Most of us
> seem interested in Bikes and related technical issues. A very few are
> not.

Problem with blocking, kill files, etc is that it does not block
replies to undesirable person, which usually quote him/her. I find it
easier to just not read what I don't want to. So, someone like Carl,
who is one of the nicest guys in the group (he prefaces everything
with "dear" and finishes with "love") may be replying to someone
completely obnoxious and you end up seeing the post of the unwanted
person.

Andres

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 04:49:17 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

> On Jul 15, 11:34 am, RS <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I'm using WinVin newsreader. Does anyone know if its possible to
>> configure this to block a particular poster on this group? Most of us
>> seem interested in Bikes and related technical issues. A very few are
>> not.

> Problem with blocking, kill files, etc is that it does not block
> replies to undesirable person, which usually quote him/her.

A bit of kill-file-fu fixes that, with rules governing message bodies.

I'm using pan, by the way, which is brilliant for *nix systems running X.
My second choice would be slrn, which is surprisingly efficient.

--
Luigi de Guzman
http://ouij.livejournal.com

catzz66 wrote:
> RS wrote:
>> I'm using WinVin newsreader. Does anyone know if its possible to
>> configure this to block a particular poster on this group? Most of us
>> seem interested in Bikes and related technical issues. A very few are
>> not.

> Another vote for Thunderbird....

[This message posted with Thunderbird]

Thunderbird's interface and graphics are practically the same as
Netscape Communicator 4.x through 7.x, so it is the logical upgrade for
old Netscape users.

[email protected] wrote (in part):
>....someone like Carl, who is one of the nicest guys in the group...
>
> Andres

He is 'nice', but I find the 'dear' annoying and his tone pedantic
(now, now, OB, no need to chime in). It is frequently as if he is
addressing a slightly confused child.

Now, that's not to say I'm not an opinionated ass but I like to think
I am somewhat 'nicer' than the lowest common denominator, or, as he is
otherwise known, Bill Sornson.

D'ohBoy, who felt so long as we were opining about others.....

On 2007-07-16, Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 04:49:17 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>
>> On Jul 15, 11:34 am, RS <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> I'm using WinVin newsreader. Does anyone know if its possible to
>>> configure this to block a particular poster on this group? Most of us
>>> seem interested in Bikes and related technical issues. A very few are
>>> not.

>> Problem with blocking, kill files, etc is that it does not block
>> replies to undesirable person, which usually quote him/her.

> A bit of kill-file-fu fixes that, with rules governing message bodies.
>
> I'm using pan, by the way, which is brilliant for *nix systems running X.
> My second choice would be slrn, which is surprisingly efficient.

Both of those newsreaders are available for windows. Check
http://pan.rebelbase.com/download/. Most windows users would probably
prefer pan. I use slrn, because run in a transparent beryl gnome
terminal I can still read applications beneath my newsreader. It's at
http://slrn.org/.

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 01:13:16 GMT, chuck <[email protected]> wrote:

>I use slrn, because run in a transparent beryl gnome
>terminal

Wow, serious geek-dom!

On Jul 18, 6:12 pm, D'ohBoy <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote (in part):
>
> >....someone like Carl, who is one of the nicest guys in the group...

> > Andres

> He is 'nice', but I find the 'dear' annoying and his tone pedantic
> (now, now, OB, no need to chime in). It is frequently as if he is
> addressing a slightly confused child.

Let's call a spade a spade:

http://tinyurl.com/2sz9p8

or, for the cautious:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2sz9p8

(I will resist the urge to add "gossipy, back-biting, busybody who
forwards private emails to third parties".)

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> On Jul 18, 6:12 pm, D'ohBoy <[email protected]> wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote (in part):
>>
>>> ....someone like Carl, who is one of the nicest guys in the group...
>>> Andres

>> He is 'nice', but I find the 'dear' annoying and his tone pedantic
>> (now, now, OB, no need to chime in). It is frequently as if he is
>> addressing a slightly confused child.

> Let's call a spade a spade:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2sz9p8
>
> or, for the cautious:
>
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/2sz9p8
>
> (I will resist the urge to add "gossipy, back-biting, busybody who
> forwards private emails to third parties".)

Damn it, I hate having to agree with "Ozark Bicycle". Forwarding private
emails without the permission of the author is inexcusable.

I believe that "Dear Carl" still owes me an apology for calling me a liar.

On Jul 21, 11:10 am, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Ozark Bicycle wrote:

> >> He is 'nice', but I find the 'dear' annoying and his tone pedantic
> >> (now, now, OB, no need to chime in). It is frequently as if he is
> >> addressing a slightly confused child.

> > Let's call a spade a spade:

> >http://tinyurl.com/2sz9p8

> > or, for the cautious:

> >http://preview.tinyurl.com/2sz9p8

> > (I will resist the urge to add "gossipy, back-biting, busybody who
> > forwards private emails to third parties".)

> Damn it, I hate having to agree with "Ozark Bicycle".

Suck it up, you'll live. ;-)

> Forwarding private
> emails without the permission of the author is inexcusable.

But being a "gossipy, back-biting busybody" is A-OK with you?

Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:
> Ozark Bicycle wrote:

>>> He is 'nice', but I find the 'dear' annoying and his tone pedantic
>>> (now, now, OB, no need to chime in). It is frequently as if he is
>>> addressing a slightly confused child.

>> Let's call a spade a spade:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/2sz9p8
>>
>> or, for the cautious:
>>
>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/2sz9p8
>>
>> (I will resist the urge to add "gossipy, back-biting, busybody who
>> forwards private emails to third parties".)

> Damn it, I hate having to agree with "Ozark Bicycle". Forwarding
> private emails without the permission of the author is inexcusable.
>
> I believe that "Dear Carl" still owes me an apology for calling me a
> liar.

Don't hold your breath! LOL

Bill "just ask 'Alan Baggins'" S.

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 08:36:42 -0700, Ozark Bicycle wrote:

> On Jul 18, 6:12 pm, D'ohBoy <[email protected]> wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote (in part):
>>
>> >....someone like Carl, who is one of the nicest guys in the group...

>> > Andres

>> He is 'nice', but I find the 'dear' annoying and his tone pedantic
>> (now, now, OB, no need to chime in). It is frequently as if he is
>> addressing a slightly confused child.

> Let's call a spade a spade:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2sz9p8
>
> or, for the cautious:
>
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/2sz9p8
>
> (I will resist the urge to add "gossipy, back-biting, busybody who
> forwards private emails to third parties".)

Perhaps I haven't been paying enough attention to your screeds, but this
strikes me as something new. Isn't your usual shtick that Carl and Sheldon
were partners in crime? Now you're complaining that Carl violated
Sheldon's rights?

For what it's worth, I'm sure Carl is really, really remorseful that he
tried to help you out.

No harm would have come of any of these private exchanges if they hadn't
been made public. That was your doing.

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:
>> Ozark Bicycle wrote:

>>> Let's call a spade a spade:
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/2sz9p8
>>>
>>> or, for the cautious:
>>>
>>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/2sz9p8
>>>
>>> (I will resist the urge to add "gossipy, back-biting, busybody who
>>> forwards private emails to third parties".)

>> Damn it, I hate having to agree with "Ozark Bicycle". Forwarding
>> private emails without the permission of the author is inexcusable.
>>
>> I believe that "Dear Carl" still owes me an apology for calling me a
>> liar.

> Don't hold your breath! LOL
>
> Bill "just ask 'Alan Baggins'" S.

LOL. Or was it "Alan Braggins"? ;)

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> On Jul 21, 11:10 am, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Ozark Bicycle wrote:
>>> Let's call a spade a spade:
>>> http://tinyurl.com/2sz9p8
>>> or, for the cautious:
>>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/2sz9p8
>>> (I will resist the urge to add "gossipy, back-biting, busybody who
>>> forwards private emails to third parties".)

>> Damn it, I hate having to agree with "Ozark Bicycle".

> Suck it up, you'll live. ;-)
>
>> Forwarding private
>> emails without the permission of the author is inexcusable.

> But being a "gossipy, back-biting busybody" is A-OK with you?

Dear Ozark Bicycle,

My omission of specific mention of "gossipy, back-biting busybody" was
not intended to include those characteristics among acceptable behavior.

"Smarmy Tom"

On Jul 21, 12:05 pm, Gary Young <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 08:36:42 -0700, Ozark Bicycle wrote:

> >> He is 'nice', but I find the 'dear' annoying and his tone pedantic
> >> (now, now, OB, no need to chime in). It is frequently as if he is
> >> addressing a slightly confused child.

> > Let's call a spade a spade:

> >http://tinyurl.com/2sz9p8

> > or, for the cautious:

> >http://preview.tinyurl.com/2sz9p8

> > (I will resist the urge to add "gossipy, back-biting, busybody who
> > forwards private emails to third parties".)

> Perhaps I haven't been paying enough attention to your screeds, but this
> strikes me as something new. Isn't your usual shtick that Carl and Sheldon
> were partners in crime? Now you're complaining that Carl violated
> Sheldon's rights?

There was yet anonther party involved, the party both St. Sheldon and
Smarmy Carl *slandered*. It's convenient to forget that, eh, Gary?

Go get your delicate panties in a wad somewhere else, you bore me.

> For what it's worth, I'm sure Carl is really, really remorseful that he
> tried to help you out.

Oh, yeah, I'm quite sure he wanted to "help", and not just spread
gossip and slander......

On Jul 21, 12:27 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> > On Jul 21, 11:10 am, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Damn it, I hate having to agree with "Ozark Bicycle".

> > Suck it up, you'll live. ;-)

> >> Forwarding private
> >> emails without the permission of the author is inexcusable.

> > But being a "gossipy, back-biting busybody" is A-OK with you?

> Dear Ozark Bicycle,
>
> My omission of specific mention of "gossipy, back-biting busybody" was
> not intended to include those characteristics among acceptable behavior.

I understand.