Blood donation (Apheresis) and running

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Tf, Sep 14, 2003.

  1. Tf

    Tf Guest

    I am scheduled to for apheresis next Tuesday and am wondering about the effects of that on my
    running and how long it would take me to recover to 100%.

    This is important to me because I am currently training in preperation for boot camp. I need to run
    5 miles several times weekly and cannot afford to miss a week. In the past, missing a week makes
    the next week more difficult. I can currently run about 1.5 miles in 10:30, 3 miles in about 25
    minutes and a 5 mile course in about 45 minutes. In the month or so I have left before leaving, I
    hope to improve the 3 mile time to 22 minutes so I can get a perfect running score for when I
    graduate boot camp :).

    BTW, is carrying water for running 5 miles seem necessary? I usually carry a CamelBak filled about
    1/4-1/3 (30-40oz) and it seems a bit like overkill. It also tends to make my back really sweaty...

    Tags:

  2. Ed Prochak

    Ed Prochak Guest

    TF wrote:
    > I am scheduled to for apheresis next Tuesday and am wondering about the effects of that on my
    > running and how long it would take me to recover to 100%.
    >
    > This is important to me because I am currently training in preperation for boot camp. I need to
    > run 5 miles several times weekly and cannot afford to miss a week. In the past, missing a week
    > makes the next week more difficult. I can currently run about 1.5 miles in 10:30, 3 miles in about
    > 25 minutes and a 5 mile course in about 45 minutes. In the month or so I have left before leaving,
    > I hope to improve the 3 mile time to 22 minutes so I can get a perfect running score for when I
    > graduate boot camp :).
    >
    > BTW, is carrying water for running 5 miles seem necessary? I usually carry a CamelBak filled about
    > 1/4-1/3 (30-40oz) and it seems a bit like overkill. It also tends to make my back really sweaty...

    There was a similar thread here a monthe or so back. You may be able to find it in GOOGLE.

    Anyway, isn't apheresis where they take your plasma but return your red blood cells back to you? I
    would assume this would have very minimal affects on your performance.

    I try to donate regularly, but I have only done the whole blood donation. I think a few days and I'm
    near normal. I've even trained the day after donation, with a slower run of course.

    Just follow the advice they give you (increase fluid intake) and you should be fine.

    --
    Ed Prochak running http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/ netiquette http://www.psg.com/emily.html
    --

  3. Gentolm

    Gentolm Guest

    given blood takes it out of me ,,, 2 weeks... a perfect score is not always the wisest
    thing plodzilla

    TF wrote:

    > I am scheduled to for apheresis next Tuesday and am wondering about the effects of that on my
    > running and how long it would take me to recover to 100%.
    >
    > This is important to me because I am currently training in preperation for boot camp. I need to
    > run 5 miles several times weekly and cannot afford to miss a week. In the past, missing a week
    > makes the next week more difficult. I can currently run about 1.5 miles in 10:30, 3 miles in about
    > 25 minutes and a 5 mile course in about 45 minutes. In the month or so I have left before leaving,
    > I hope to improve the 3 mile time to 22 minutes so I can get a perfect running score for when I
    > graduate boot camp :).
    >
    > BTW, is carrying water for running 5 miles seem necessary? I usually carry a CamelBak filled about
    > 1/4-1/3 (30-40oz) and it seems a bit like overkill. It also tends to make my back really sweaty...

  4. Sam Salt

    Sam Salt Guest

    I ran a half marathon last year 3 days after donating blood and believe me never again.I had done
    the run for a few years with no problem but this time after 2 miles or so my legs felt like
    rhubarb and I had to cling on for grim death to the end.On enquiring afterwards I discovered that
    you make the blood volume up in a couple of days or so but the red cells ( which carry the oxygen
    ) can take up to 4 weeks to replenish.I would be very careful and tailor your training accordingly
    until you feel OK.

    Sam Salt

    "TF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am scheduled to for apheresis next Tuesday and am wondering about the effects of that on my
    > running and how long it would take me to recover to 100%.
    >
    > This is important to me because I am currently training in preperation for boot camp. I need to
    > run 5 miles several times weekly and cannot afford to miss a week. In the past, missing a week
    > makes the next week more difficult. I can currently run about 1.5 miles in 10:30, 3 miles in about
    > 25 minutes and a 5 mile course in about 45 minutes. In the month or so I have left before leaving,
    > I hope to improve the 3 mile time to 22 minutes so I can get a perfect running score for when I
    > graduate boot camp :).
    >
    > BTW, is carrying water for running 5 miles seem necessary? I usually carry a CamelBak filled about
    > 1/4-1/3 (30-40oz) and it seems a bit like overkill. It also tends to make my back really sweaty...

    ---

  5. Doug Burke

    Doug Burke Guest

    Like Ed above, I donate whole blood regularly and it too takes me about three days to feel back to
    normal running wise.

    I would skip carrying water on a five mile run. Just have some ready at the five mile mark.
    Doug Burke

    TF wrote:

    > I am scheduled to for apheresis next Tuesday and am wondering about the effects of that on my
    > running and how long it would take me to recover to 100%.
    >
    > This is important to me because I am currently training in preperation for boot camp. I need to
    > run 5 miles several times weekly and cannot afford to miss a week. In the past, missing a week
    > makes the next week more difficult. I can currently run about 1.5 miles in 10:30, 3 miles in about
    > 25 minutes and a 5 mile course in about 45 minutes. In the month or so I have left before leaving,
    > I hope to improve the 3 mile time to 22 minutes so I can get a perfect running score for when I
    > graduate boot camp :).
    >
    > BTW, is carrying water for running 5 miles seem necessary? I usually carry a CamelBak filled about
    > 1/4-1/3 (30-40oz) and it seems a bit like overkill. It also tends to make my back really sweaty...

  6. Rick++

    Rick++ Guest

    > BTW, is carrying water for running 5 miles seem necessary? I usually carry a CamelBak filled about
    > 1/4-1/3 (30-40oz) and it seems a bit like overkill. It also tends to make my back really sweaty...

    Depends on conditions. Five miles in the south (where most boot camps are) in the summer can be
    quite dehydrating. Otherwise barely noticeable in the spring.

  7. Roger Hunter

    Roger Hunter Guest

  8. Tf

    Tf Guest

    Apheresis is only donating platelets though. I think they return the red blood cells and plasma to
    me when they filter out the platelets. It seems that all the responses have been donating blood a
    pint at a time. Will that make a difference? I guess I'll try running 50% after a few days and work
    my way from there.

    I'm just trying to be all I can be in the Marines :)

    gentolm <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > given blood takes it out of me ,,, 2 weeks... a perfect score is not always the wisest thing
    > plodzilla

  9. This is why I have a blood bank of my own vintage. It would be just my luck to receive jogger blood
    at some 2 bit hospital.

  10. Richard

    Richard Guest

    >given blood takes it out of me ,,, 2 weeks... a perfect score is not always the wisest thing

    Two weeks is about right for me, too. I (now) don't run for several days after, run easy for the
    next week, and (then) feel good to go. I run a marathon in October and don't donate after July in
    advance of that.

    Richard

  11. >This is why I have a blood bank of my own vintage.

    Red Ripple wine?

    > It would be just my luck to receive jogger blood at some 2 bit hospital.

    It would be a fitting punishment.

    Bill R.

    OO