Blood donation

mountainrnemt

Jun 1, 2005
I just gave blood. I was all excited to do my part, so I gave a double dose of red blood. Then one of my cycling mates reminded me that I have a Century at altitude in 10 days. :rolleyes:High Sierra on the single speed is tough enough without a low crit, but now that I have given my red blood cells away it might be much harder.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I will likely be taking 28 mg iron supplements everyday and eating a lot of steak, spinach and cereals this week. Not sure what the excess iron supplements will do to me. I might be constipated and have black stools by race time. :p

High Sierra is between 6500 and 8000 feet and has over 5000 feet of climbing. The combination of low crit and single speed is gonna hurt. :eek:If anyone has any helpful suggestions, I would appreciate it.

i suggest intaking lots of iron. But not only that but green vegetables and steaks are good, but also try other meats. you may become contipated but eat fiber as well. that may help the constipation issue. Just dont over do it within the next 10 days! it may backfire. like you may gain weight and then really have trouble completing your ride!:)

I think the beef will make the biggest difference. Just keep hydrated and eat a healthy diet. Extra zinc and peanut butter will raise your testosterone levels, which will also increase your RBC count.

At 10 days, you should be feeling fine.